SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions on the P938?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on the P938? Login/Join 
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I pocket carry one often in a DM Bullard leather holster. Not sure there is a better pocket 9mm than the 938.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Wife has one she carries. I will also carry it on bike rides as it’s small, and light. Will likely end up going with a 365 in the near future though for additional capacity. I think that’s the only real complaint I can have against the 938.

Posts: 13140 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good shooter. Jumped through the hoops (plenty) to get one into Ca. Small, accurate, and wasn't bad recoil wise for the size/power ratio. I did eventually switch over to a 365 though.

OZ

Posts: 160 | Registered: February 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg45FL
posted Hide Post
I purchased a P938 several years ago and it was quickly snatched up by my wife for her primary carry handgun. She loves it and shoots it quite well. About a year ago I purchased a P365 and thought she would want it over her P938, Nope!

I recently purchased a P365XL and a Hellcat. I didn't care for the Hellcat trigger so I installed the Apex trigger and springs. The Apex setup definitely helps the Hellcat but in my opinion, the P365XL stock trigger wins hands down. Anyhow, my wife has 4 handguns to choose from now, and she picked...
The P938!

Posts: 48 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
I have 3 P938's, one of those is the wife's with a Crimson Trace laser (the one SIG made for the gun is junk).

SIG, as with the P365, had teething problems early on with the P938. From memory, and in order:

The mainsprng housing mount for the sear/ejector spring was poorly designed with a 1/8" plastic nub that would get cut way by the vertical forces acting on the spring. The spring would then move up and the gun became inop. No recall, so check, the new spring has a larger hole in it with boss that fits into a mating hole in the spring housing. A good fix.

The two piece spring guide is screwed together, and would come undone, ejecting the rod part, often lost. Check tightness of two parts when cleaning. Clean thread and apply red loctite.

The takedown lever would come out when shooting, perhaps exacerbated by gangsta' style?? No, not really, mind did it too. I fixed mine by making a small groove in the lever tab that goes under and is held in place by the slide lock spring. Easiest way to make that tiny groove with with a vibrator type engraver.

And finally, the mag catch was re-designed a few years back. (They also added an outward dimple on the left side of the mag to help "bias" the mag into the mag catch, as well as using a stronger mag catch spring. That all worked, no more dropped mags after a couple of rounds. BUT, I don't have the thumb strength to push in the mag release without repositioning my right hand grip (I'm old, so youngsters may not have that problem).

Despite all this, I like the gun. Lowered trigger weight to 2.5 lbs. Added trigger overtravel stop. Got rid of right side safety lever (use SL and hammer pivot pin from P238 - inexpensive and easy to do). Nice gun.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a used one in 2014 that I carried and shot until early 2020. Danged thing was reliable, accurate, and just plain fun to shoot. I fed it every weight bullet I could find including HP. I pocket carried it some but mostly IWB. I then got stupid, swore off 9mm (I was consolidating calibers Roll Eyes ) and sold it. I now have a P365 with manual safety. If you have a P938 I feel you are well armed.

BTW, I now have two 9mm Handguns. Big Grin

Lock N Load

Michael

Posts: 1452 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one for a while. It ran 100% reliably, but I found it a bit snappy to shoot. I put a Hogue rubber grip on it, and that made it better.

Also, the right side of the ambi safety was loose and wiggly right out of the box. I don't need or like an ambi safety anyway, so I sent the pistol in to SIG and had them switch it to left-side-only safety. Finally I sold it. I just like the 238s better -- so much better that I have three of them.

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Had a 938 and liked it when it worked. Tons of FTE/double feed issues. Went back to SIG 2X. Still didn't work. Gave it away with full disclosure.

YMMV. If your works it's a nice little gun and fun to shoot.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3220 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
It's been my primary carry for years now. I absolutely love it. The ambi safety will rattle, and apparently SIG thinks that is OK. Other than that, its been flawless and 0 malfunctions.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
I had one for a while. It ran 100% reliably, but I found it a bit snappy to shoot. I put a Hogue rubber grip on it, and that made it better.

Also, the right side of the ambi safety was loose and wiggly right out of the box. I don't need or like an ambi safety anyway, so I sent the pistol in to SIG and had them switch it to left-side-only safety. Finally I sold it. I just like the 238s better -- so much better that I have three of them.

The ambi safety is easy enough to get rid of, order the P238 safety lever and hammer pivot pin. Those will swap right into the P938 and you'll have a left side only safety.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I have a P938 and a P238. I prefer carrying the 238 as it is a bit smaller. Believe it or not I shoot it better as well. I won’t be getting rid of the 938, but prefer the 238 with some Underwood ammo.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post