SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Talk Me In/Out of the SIG P320 M18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk Me In/Out of the SIG P320 M18 Login/Join 
Picture of Beretta92
posted
The Local Gun Store has a M18 that I can score for under $500 currently

I haven't gone bye to see it

They will be open tomorrow @ 10:00am

Haven't had a P320 or P365 YET

I have been carrying a few Heckler & Koch USP Compacts, Glocks, & M&Ps lately
In my time with SIG Sauer I have owned a P220ST 45, P225 9mm, P228 9mm, P229 357/40 & P239 40

My last handgun buys have been a S&W SD9, Glock 19X & Two Hk USP Compact 40/357s + a M&P Shield 2.0

What can the SIG Sauer P320 M18 offer me that the other platforms don't other than the ability to mount a modular sighting system

There's something about these FDE or Coyote handguns that draw me to them for some reason

I have wanted a P320 since I saw the US Government chose them as their sidearm
I have sold off my Beretta92FS & Colt 1911s

Talk Me In or Out of the M18
What can the P320 platform offer me
They look top heavy compared to the G19X

Understand I'm not a Newbie & have been shooting for 50+ Years

Bought the SD9 FDE at Thanksgiving & The Glock 19X at Christmas JFYI

Posts: 1861 | Location: Clarksville Indiana | Registered: May 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a pistol. It shoots. It's modular. One P320 is the same as another.

They work.

No personality to speak of, but they shoot just fine.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot an M18 but I had an M17 Bravo and it was a great shooter. P320's in general shoot much better for me than a Glock. A few years ago I picked up a P320 Fullsize on a whim as a local FFL had it in the case for $300. I hit the range along with some Glocks I had owned for years. The P320 grouped far better for me than the Glocks that day, and I even went back the next day to re-confirm. I had been shooting those Glocks for YEARS and had never fired a P320 fullsize before.

My only issue with the M17 and M18 is that I'm not a fan of manual safety's on handguns (unless its SAO). Not the gun's fault, more my issue.

With that said, if its in good shape with its box and accessories, I'd have a hard time passing it up at that price.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarms229,

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Not a 320 guy but I do have to say the ones I have handled have excellent triggers. So between the trigger and the modularity they seem like a great platform.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
You'll have to talk yourself into it if it grabs you.
Nothing wrong with the other guns you've mentioned and owned so this is just personal preference.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two M17 Bravo's and I'm looking for a Nitron M18. They are usually only for LE sales but they pop up from time to time.

The M17/M18 safety is very similar to a 1911 and easy to deactivate with a proper firing grip.

The modularity really is a game changer - I have Wilson grip modules on all of mine, and have a couple Customworks FCU's that I am building up into range guns.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beretta92
posted Hide Post
I went & looked at the M18/P320
Didn't even ask to hold it as it was New & had the case etc. Trigger Lock on every gun too
The Gun case was packed & I did see a 100% blued 38 Taurus 85C revolver for $335 that was talking but I resisted temptation, I bought one just like it for my Wife 2/3/19 for $199

The M18 was $499.95

There were Sarcilmaz, Glock's, Ruger's, Taurus's, S&W M&Ps, SIG etc, nothing was talking
Two SR556s AR-15s, a SR22, M&P 15-22, Winchester Shotgun, Remington 870 12ga

I still don't see how the SIG Sauer M17/M18 beat out the Glock 19X in the Governments Trials
Going to guess it came down to price, but SIGs seem to be higher in price than Glocks & their magazines are twice the price

There were six people there as they opened the doors, Most were making payments on Lay a Way gear

I went to High School with the Manager 40 years ago, I told them to stay safe & wear the mask
25% of the population has the new strain of the Corona Virus

Should have bought the 85C

If only I had some extra 38spl in my stash
Should have gone by Bass Pro to look around
Gary

Posts: 1861 | Location: Clarksville Indiana | Registered: May 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both the P365 and the P320.

My P365 sits in my pocket every day.

Both shoot well.

I just prefer pocket carry.

If I went back to a holster I would go with the P320.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a X5 Legion last year to try the P320 platform in a dedicated range gun, and was impressed enough that I started looking at compacts. I wanted a manual safety for reholstering and RDS ready, so focused on M18s. I was able to pick up one of the black ones. I’ve been shooting it with a Wilson grip module, and trust it enough now that it’s in carry rotation.

Posts: 217 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: February 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta92:

I still don't see how the SIG Sauer M17/M18 beat out the Glock 19X in the Governments Trials
Going to guess it came down to price, but SIGs seem to be higher in price than Glocks & their magazines are twice the price

Higher price to you, not the Army. Sig “out Glocked” Glock. Wink

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The first thing I'd say insofar as talking you out of that is to ask the question as to whether you need a bunch of similar-ish guns for different manufacturers? But looking at the OP, it looks like that ship has already sailed Smile .

Would you want to sell something and replace it with the SIG?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
I'm never one to talk someone out of something. The more the merrier!

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 3ACR_Scout
posted Hide Post
I’m a long time Glock user, both for recreational shooting and carry, but I just recently bought an M17, my first P320. What really sets it apart from the Glock design is the modular design of the fire control unit. I love Glocks, but Glock did not submit a modular handgun to the Army’s Modular Handgun System competition. I haven’t read up on that part of the trials, or read the original Army requirement document, but I’m not sure how they thought what is now the Glock 19X was modular. Anyway, I think the question to ask yourself is whether that aspect of the M18 design will be useful to you.

I really enjoy tinkering with things, and I find the P320 FCU design really interesting and (for lack of a better term) entertaining for trying out different configurations. I swapped the M17 grip out for a Wilson Combat Carry grip module, which I find much more comfortable. I also just bought a WC X-Compact grip that I modified for a manual safety and tested with the M17 FCU. My plan is to eventually buy an M18 (the black LE version) and have both a full size, 17-round WC Carry II grip and the 15-round X-Compact grip to swap out on it, depending on which I want to use. I’m sure not everyone wants to mess with that kind of thing or thinks it’s useful, but as I said, I enjoy tinkering around.

I would personally jump on an M18 at that price in a heartbeat. I got my M17 at the local military base exchange for $459 out the door during their Black Friday sale, and that M18 price is pretty close.

"We are being slaughtered."

- Unidentified Insurgent, Operation Restoring Rights, Tall Afar, Iraq, September 2005

Posts: 128 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy an optic slide for your P22X and paint it FDE. The trigger is just too much better

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, another factor for the military was the modularity. It's cheaper to replace a grip frame module than a Glock lower, and far less work.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming you bought it. $500 is a great price for the model.

I was going to say something about manual safeties and how weird that concept is in this Glockified universe we exist in, but it seems like I'm late to the show. Wink

-MG

Posts: 1932 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 320/M17/18 are great shooting guns, this coming from a Glock fanboy. I have a standard 320. If I had a do over, I think I would get the M17 even though I prefer black guns with no safety in striker fired systems. I have had my 320 for a couple of years; it is a later version that came with the improved trigger after the drop issue. It has not fired unless I pulled the trigger. Though as I said it’s not my preference, I can see why some would prefer a safety on this pistol. The trigger is shorter and crisper than a Glock.

You Tube personality HRFunk did a fairly in depth review of the bid and evaluation documents, and the decision was not totally price, though I am sure it was a big factor.

I like my 320 and enjoy shooting it, but again would probably get the M17 version in a do over. I wouldn’t try to talk an experienced shooter such as yourself into or out of anything- one of the most personal decisions you make- but I like mine.

I am also an old guy, shooting almost 50 years.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
If you want an M18, get an M18. There's no such thing as need or don't need, therefore no such thing as justification. It's a free country, Wink Wink Wink

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post