SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Some love for Wheelguns
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some love for Wheelguns Login/Join 
posted
I'm going for my pistol instructor certification next month. Decided to get back into wheelguns and picked up a handful in the past few weeks.

I picked up a 15-5, a 1957 Combat Masterpiece and a 1977 NM Blackhawk in .357.

Needless to say I will be picking up a reloading press in the near future, a day late and a dollar short since the cost of powder and primers has gone through the roof along with factory ammo. So far all like 158gr LRN, I always send the first target out to 10 yards just to check POI and to make rear sight adjustments before shooting at longer distances.

I've installed the wide spur SBH hammer on the BH since the first range trip, much nicer to have a little more purchase.

I'd like to pick up a nice Model 10 with a 4" barrel next. Looking for a nice 581 as well, but I'm afraid those are going for more than I'm willing to pay.

20 rounds @ 20 yards....have to work on tightening that up, 8 3/8" barrel is like a half-assed rifle and capable of smaller groups if I do my part.

Posts: 59 | Location: NW Burbs of Illinois | Registered: June 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
Great looking smoke wagons!!! Targets aren't too shabby either. Wink

Posts: 952 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nicely done, I am still jonesing for a manurhin Mr73 and a smith 547. Sadly both are out of the range of the dollar ten I currently have available.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
nicely done, I am still jonesing for a manurhin Mr73 and a smith 547. Sadly both are out of the range of the dollar ten I currently have available.

Yep. I've come to determine the S&W factory box, by itself is worth $500-$600. Roll Eyes

Every time I get a response to a WTB with "factory box included", I brace for impact.

I would definitely love a 547 with a 4" barrel. Like you, I'm just not willing to spend what they're commanding.

Posts: 59 | Location: NW Burbs of Illinois | Registered: June 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Great guns AND shooting!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:

I doubt even he MR73 would outshoot that model 15. Darn nice group he has there!

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
That is some great shooting, but I have to take exception with some of the other statements made.

The K-38 Combat Masterpiece and the 15-5 are essentially the same gun. A 4" .38 S&W Special. While I am aware that there were some 4" barreled 14's made (K-38 Masterpiece - some call them "Target Masterpiece") I am not aware of the reverse to be true. That is a Model 15 or Combat Masterpiece with a barrel longer than 4". Although I have learned never to say never in regard to S&W. So assuming that you read the 15-5 from the frame in the yoke cut, that would make your 8 3/8" gun a pre-14 or a K-38 Masterpiece.

As for the box being worth $500 by itself - unless it is red, blue w/gold or black, I'd say that is highly unlikely. Any complete ensemble (box, docs and tools) adds value to a S&W revolver. The gold boxes plus the blue and silver or gray through the current blue plastic offerings may add up to $150 or bring up to that for the box alone. The older boxes do have significant collector value. Since both the Combat Masterpiece and the Masterpiece were introduced in the late 40's (1949 and 1946 respectively) the early guns would fall in the gold box era.

Sorry - just splitting hairs. Nice guns regardless and, as I said, great shooting.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1448 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pizza Bob:
That is some great shooting, but I have to take exception with some of the other statements made.

The K-38 Combat Masterpiece and the 15-5 are essentially the same gun. A 4" .38 S&W Special. While I am aware that there were some 4" barreled 14's made (K-38 Masterpiece - some call them "Target Masterpiece") I am not aware of the reverse to be true. That is a Model 15 or Combat Masterpiece with a barrel longer than 4". Although I have learned never to say never in regard to S&W. So assuming that you read the 15-5 from the frame in the yoke cut, that would make your 8 3/8" gun a pre-14 or a K-38 Masterpiece.

As for the box being worth $500 by itself - unless it is red, blue w/gold or black, I'd say that is highly unlikely. Any complete ensemble (box, docs and tools) adds value to a S&W revolver. The gold boxes plus the blue and silver or gray through the current blue plastic offerings may add up to $150 or bring up to that for the box alone. The older boxes do have significant collector value. Since both the Combat Masterpiece and the Masterpiece were introduced in the late 40's (1949 and 1946 respectively) the early guns would fall in the gold box era.

Sorry - just splitting hairs. Nice guns regardless and, as I said, great shooting.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks!

I only differentiated between the two because the 1957 4" model must have made it under the wire, "15" isn't stamped on it.

From wiki

quote:
In 1957 the K-38 Combat Masterpiece was renamed the Model 15 when all Smith & Wesson revolvers were given numerical model numbers. (The Military & Police and the Target Masterpiece were renamed the Model 10 and Model 14 respectively.) The model number is stamped on the frame behind the cylinder yoke, so it is visible (only) when the cylinder is open. A number of production and engineering changes have been made throughout the years, some of which are noted by a dash number suffixed to the Model number (15-1, -2, -3).

Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’m also looking forward to the Manhurian - the first revolver I’m excited about in a while.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bcjwriter,

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
TThe K-38 Combat Masterpiece and the 15-5 are essentially the same gun. A 4" .38 S&W Special.
Pizza Bob

My K38 Masterpiece had a 6" barrel in .38 Special.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Lovely revolvers and very nice targets!

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful wheel guns with some great shooting CrazyHorse5.0. Congratulations to you!

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 230 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
quote:
TThe K-38 Combat Masterpiece and the 15-5 are essentially the same gun. A 4" .38 S&W Special.
Pizza Bob

My K38 Masterpiece had a 6" barrel in .38 Special.

Exactly. The K-38 Masterpiece and the K-38 Combat Masterpiece became the Models 14 and 15 respectively. Masterpieces had 6" and 8 3/8" barrels while the Combat Masterpiece had a 4" barrel. But as I said previously there are some 4" K-38 Masterpieces out there.

Confused yet?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

S&W nomenclature and model numbering is a bitch.

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1448 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Everything S&W went to hell when Para sold the blue forum. Wink

Nice shooting and great revolvers, my first love.

Posts: 4682 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
always appreciated the model 15. But the model 10 will remain my favorite in the 38 special field.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have plenty of love for revolving pistols. I started handgunning, at age 21, in late 1982 or early 1983, with a 1911, at which time I thought that revolvers were quaint. I started a police academy in late 1983, however, and, like it or not, I had to train with DA revolvers, fired only double-action, for academy training, and then carry only DA revolvers, during my first year of sworn service. Well, to make a long story short, I gradually learned to truly love revolvers.

Nearly four decades later, my right hand has aged-out of always providing a sufficiently-stable platform for reliable auto-loader functioning. Not yet being ready to switch to left-side primary carry, revolvers are my steady friends, and retirement has freed me from having to pack an autoloader as a badge of office.

Nothing wrong with auto-loaders. A Glock G26, or G42, positioned for lefty access, is a nice “tactical reload,” to complement the carry revolver. Life is good! Smile (Of course, it also makes plenty of sense to carry a second revolver, for lefty access.)

Actually, I write lefty, and throw right-handed, so, left-hand shooting has never been a problem. The draw felt natural enough, right-handed, with my throwing arm, so I simply chose to carry at 0300, in 1983, in spite of being left-handed.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
always appreciated the model 15. But the model 10 will remain my favorite in the 38 special field.

I actually have a pre-Model 10 on the way which was next on my list

posted Hide Post
Nice guns. Revolvers has a panache all their own. Too bad they are becoming relicts.

Posts: 116 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Still the best looking wheel gun ever made in my limited opinion:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post