SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger Mark IV Tactical ( warning: huge picture)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Mark IV Tactical ( warning: huge picture) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have the Mask, Rugged Occulus, and the Surefire for .22 cans. Of the three the Mask is the best all around and what I suggest for anyone as a first dedicated .22 can. The Rugged (like all Rugged products) is certainly the most toughly built and offers the option of lengths, which doesn't matter to me, at the cost of a small amount of weight and assembly annoyance. All three easy to clean and on the ruger very quiet.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AH.74:
The button and swivel system is slick as hell. Simply put, it's awesome. I think it's the best new development Ruger has come up with in recent years.

I have the MkIV base model (bull barrel) and the one button takedown is what sold me. I had some experience with older 22/45s and liked them but reassembly after taking it down to clean was a nightmare.

This one looks good. Mine is drilled and tapped to accept the top rail but the threaded barrel is interesting.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I had one of these early on and couldn’t stand it. I’d traded up from a MkIII which I loved. The MkIV never did feel right. It wouldn’t group but at least it was 100% reliable. The takedown was easy too.

I think the sleeved barrel was part of my problem as the end cap that captures the muzzle end was always coming loose. I’be been thinking about picking up a second one to try once again.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
I had one of these early on and couldn’t stand it. I’d traded up from a MkIII which I loved. The MkIV never did feel right. It wouldn’t group but at least it was 100% reliable. The takedown was easy too.

I think the sleeved barrel was part of my problem as the end cap that captures the muzzle end was always coming loose. I’be been thinking about picking up a second one to try once again.

The barrel on these is sleeved? I thought that was just the "Lite" models. Not sure I care for that. If it's not accurate, I don't want it. And I definitely don't want it if it unscrews itself and falls apart. My MKII is an absolute tack driver, and the most solid and reliable .22 semi-auto I've ever owned. It's so good that I don't want to mess with it and risk screwing it up, otherwise I'd just thread the barrel on that and call it good. If the Mk IV has issues, maybe I ought to be looking for a second MKII with a threaded barrel, or one to cut down and thread. I don't mind the takedown procedure for the older guns...it's really easy once you know how to do it.

Also, thanks to all who offered silencer suggestions. The Dead Air Mask was already one that was in my radar, donors nice to hear good things about it. That may well be the way that I end up going.

Posts: 8578 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
The barrel on these is sleeved? I thought that was just the "Lite" models. Not sure I care for that. If it's not accurate, I don't want it. And I definitely don't want it if it unscrews itself and falls apart. My MKII is an absolute tack driver, and the most solid and reliable .22 semi-auto I've ever owned. It's so good that I don't want to mess with it and risk screwing it up, otherwise I'd just thread the barrel on that and call it good. If the Mk IV has issues, maybe I ought to be looking for a second MKII with a threaded barrel, or one to cut down and thread. I don't mind the takedown procedure for the older guns...it's really easy once you know how to do it.

You are correct. The MK IV Tactical has a traditional steel barrel while only the Lite models have the sleeved barrel. To my knowledge, Ruger never offered a commercially threaded MK II variant. I actually own/owned both a custom threaded MK II Target as well as a MK IV Tactical. Of the two, I settled upon the the MK II if only for the heavier steel receiver and traditional grip angle. What model of MK II do you currently own? Unless you are absolutely dead set against customization, I seriously doubt having the barrel of your existing pistol shortened and/or threaded will effect reliability or accuracy. Attached is a photo of my custom threaded MK II Target. The barrel was turned to 4.00" and threaded specifically to Silencerco Sparrow O-Ring specs. If you decide to customize a MK II, I recommend a 4.40" barrel threaded generically to 1/2-28 x .400" for use with multiple suppressors.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:

You are correct. The MK IV Tactical has a traditional steel barrel while only the Lite models have the sleeved barrel.

Good catch, yes I was referring to a Lite. After that experience I’m leaning toward a Tactical next time.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
What model of MK II do you currently own? Unless you are absolutely dead set against customization, I seriously doubt having the barrel of your existing pistol shortened and/or threaded will effect reliability or accuracy.

I have a stainless target that is actually very similar to yours, although it has a 6" bull barrel. I like the long sight radius and really enjoy shooting it as-is. These things aren't so expensive as to make it unreasonable to pick up another for a dedicated suppressor host. The one I currently have I snagged for $275 as an impulse purchase off the used rack at my LGS. I wasn't looking for one at the time, but for that price I couldn't leave it there. It's become one of my favorite guns...I shudder to think what the original owner let it go for that the shop had it listed so low.

ETA: Here's a pic:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 92fstech,

Posts: 8578 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I have a 22/45 Mark IV Tactical as a host for my DeadAir Mask. I love it! I left the lower rail on for weight, and the top rail holds my MRDS.

Without the Mask on it, it has very little recoil; with the Mask attached it has almost no felt recoil. You won’t be disappointed if go that route.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post