SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    A P220 gamble: more pics
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A P220 gamble: more pics Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, hurr durr, carry the two and whatever. I can't math tonight.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109159 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
I just got back out of bed to proclaim I don’t do well in math. The 0430 alarms are taking their toll.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I found a vestige of the auction catalog listing for the pistol above. Apparently, the pistol left the factory chambered for 7.65mm because, according to this listing, the 9mm barrel is "unmarked". Rather odd to have not even the caliber stamped on the barrel, even if it was an aftermarket add-on.

Looks like the auction was back in 2008.

SIG SAUER P220 in 30 Luger CAL, with extra (unmarked, looks like 9mm) barrel, 3 Mags, as new (H)A2947, G100905

BTW, look what else I found. Wink

G100889

My Google-Fu is pretty damn strong...

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Smile

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Udo:
Wood grips can also signify it is a special production.
The July, 1976 edition of Guns&Ammo magazine had an article on .45 ACP pistols. An early P220 is shown on the two-page glamour spread of the article, and even though the quality of the photo is poor, it looks like the P220 pictured is identical to your pistol, wooden grip panels and all.

This July, 1976 magazine would have been out at the end of May, with a lead time of three to four months for preparation of the magazine. So, that places the photograph having been taken no later than February or March of '76.

A slightly better view. It's difficult to see, but this is a Type 1 slide, exactly like Udo's pistol.

BTW, I've mentioned more than once the Type 1 slide. Per Vetter, here's the way collectors categorize earlier P220 slides.

Evolution of the slide types: 1975 – 1995 Folded slides only

• 1st Type Early slide with round front end and press mark on top, fix front sigth.

• 2nd Type Rounded front end, milled top and sides, fix front sight. (Very rare)

• 3rd Type Square slide, milled top and shaved edges, fix front sight. long radius ejection port

• 4th Type Square slide, milled top, shaved edges, fix front sight, short radius ejection port.

• 5th Type Square slide, milled top, no edge shaving, front sight on dove-tail, short radius on
    ejection port.
  •  
    Picture of Udo
    posted Hide Post
    Para you have left me speechless. You have FU in capital letters. I do a lot Duck–Ducking and Binging. Going to start Google.de ing
    I feel this link confirms the holster is German even though unmarked.
    Now this is total guess, but I see a possibility that a GI purchased this pistol near his departure and was able to declare it without markings. I would love hear any ideas others might have.
    May the Google–Fu be with you!!

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Tooky13
    posted Hide Post
    Here's a couple of better shots of my very early Browning BDA .45 with bull nose.

.38supersig - You are some kind of eagle eye to see that 9mm Luger!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tooky13,

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
    Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1333 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Udo
    posted Hide Post
    Tokyo. It doesn’t look like the sides of the slide are polished. Can you confirm.

Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    All BDA pistols chambered in 9x19mm, .38 Super and 7.65x21mm (this chambering is rare, and for the European market exclusively) have Type 1 slides.

All serial production BDA pistols chambered in .45 ACP, as well as all Hawes-imported P220 pistols chambered in .45 ACP (listed in the Hawes catalog as the Model 745), have Type 3 slides, as seen in the pics above- beveled edges on the slide rear of the ejection port and 12 slide serrations instead of 19 slide serrations.

With respect to BDA pistols in .45 ACP, I have evidence of at least one pre-production example being produced with a slide that does not fit into any of the five categories I listed on this page. I'll get around to showing this to you guys later this evening.

Notice how we've talked about Type 1 and Type 3 slides. Where's the Type 2? I get the impression these transitional slides appeared only on the P75. At least, that's the only place I've ever seen Type 2 slides.

I looked through my research materials and this is all I have in the way of pics of this slide type. In this pic, you see right and left side views of a P75 with a Type 2 slide. In the slides-only portion of this photo, we see a comparison of Types 1 and 2, with the Type 2 slide on the bottom. Very subtle difference. For commercial production P220 pistols, it appears they went from Type 1 directly to Type 3 slides.

The P75 is much like Walther's postwar P38, in the sense that engineering changes made to these pistols were the same for both the respective commercial examples and for the pistols intended for military use. Any change made to the design or to parts were made across both commercial and military production, so one would be lead to believe that there are commercial P220s out there wearing Type 2 slides, but I've never seen one, at least not that I can recall.

Picture of Tooky13
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Udo:
    Tokyo. It doesn’t look like the sides of the slide are polished. Can you confirm.
    I guess Tokyo could mean Tooky Smile ... anyhow, if you were asking me, no, the sides of the slide are not polished. I'm not the original owner, so I don't know if the slide was refinished. It is very nice, so that could be the case. It also came with these wood grips, I don't know if they're factory or after market. They look very similar to Para's magazine photo, except the knurled areas have rounded corners.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
    Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1333 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Udo
    posted Hide Post
    Tooky my apologies! I was on my phone in broad daylight and didn’t catch the double spell check in both German and American. Even the pad tried to make it „roomy“. You have a great collection.

Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    I've got a pair of wooden grip panels for the P220 and I think they're the same as all the ones pictured in this thread. I'll have to pull them out and take a look. It's been ages since I've seen them. I bought them many years ago. I put them on a pistol but I took them off because the grips squeaked when gripped. It turned out to be where the grip panels meet on the backstrap. It bugged me.

I'm wondering now if perhaps I gave them a coat of tung oil, it might help them in that respect. I think they were dry, having been stored away for years before I bought them.

Used to be, we assumed these grip panels were made by Sile. Not a bad guess, but if I recall correctly, OTD set us straight. They were made by some Italian group. I looked for the post on this but I can't find it.

As Udo indicated, these particular grip panels seem to show up on SIG-Sauer's early oddball P220s.

posted Hide Post
    This is a fun and informative thread!

Posts: 826 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Udo
    posted Hide Post
    As soon as the 45 arrived I tung oiled the grips since they are unfinished and I feared thy might be too dry and possibly crack.
    Para and the other experienced experts here are full of great information.

posted Hide Post
    Udo might be correct that the P-220 was purchased by GI in Germany. The holster appears to be German police style possibly without another part that has the makers name. I have similar P-220 wood grips, enquired here some time ago and received a reply that they were made by Marino (spelling ?).

Posts: 190 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Udo
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kobren:
    Udo might be correct that the P-220 was purchased by GI in Germany. The holster appears to be German police style possibly without another part that has the makers name. I have similar P-220 wood grips, enquired here some time ago and received a reply that they were made by Marino (spelling ?).

Thanks. That gives me some Leads for more searching.

Picture of Udo
    posted Hide Post
    After viewing several hundred photos of holsters, the top candidate seems to be:
    Sickinger out of Austria (Österreich) they also have a subsidiary in Germany
    Will try to contact the company for information.

Picture of Greymann
    posted Hide Post
    Gamble paid off !
    Very nice P220.
    Thanks for sharing your photos.

I'm still curious on the "IK" stamp.
    Do all the early P220's have a similar mark? When I first saw the mark I thought it was "TK", but I'm looking from a phone.

Congratulations on your find.

Posts: 1662 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Udo
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks. The IK mark is a one off in my experience. The wife and I struggled with reading it also. I my opinion the top off the tool contacted the metal giving the appearance off a top cross bar. We took several photos that I didn’t post and I decided the IK. The strike is very light adding to the difficulty.