SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    A P220 gamble: more pics
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A P220 gamble: more pics Login/Join 
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
I may have dreamed it but I thought I remembered OTD, our resident SIG expert, mentioning there being occasional slide failures with the early pinched nose P220 slides.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool P220 indeed!

Thanks for sharing.

-Max

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms.”

-Robert A Heinlein Nov. 1959

Posts: 42 | Location: Idaho | Registered: August 09, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
I may have dreamed it but I thought I remembered OTD, our resident SIG expert, mentioning there being occasional slide failures with the early pinched nose P220 slides.

I have no first hand information and have the highest respect for OTDs experience. Considering the original method of manufacture involving folding and welding a nose on to create a slide I can understand the possibility of failure. Add Swiss military use and the possibility goes up. But overall it seems to have survived the test of time.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
My previous conclusion was that due to its larger diameter barrel, the .45 auto necessitated a modified slide design which ultimately became incorporated across the caliber spectrum. Given the fact no pre HH code .45 caliber P220's exist in our census, until another pinch nosed .45 autos surface I'm inclined to suspect G100889 was a one-off design shop model.

Posts: 3569 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Additional field notes:

1. Factory wood grips, have only seen before in photos including one BDA 45. No marks inside.
2. Magazine has no markings, dovetails are much wider than later styles, shell follower has a silverish coating on the raised portion, have seen on a few other early magazines.
3. No visible import marks.
4. "IK" mark on chin believed by us to represent Ilm-Kreis a district in Thuringia which includes a town named Suhl!
5. Heel release is quite stiffly sprung and has marked the magazine distinctly.
6. holster seems to be a police/military style but is totally unmarked.
7. Note: P220 G100884 was produced as a Schnittspistole or cut-away version as shown in book. So they were doing some special things at the time. Wood grips can also signify it is a special production.
8. How this pistol got to the USA without an import is another mystery. Import marking requirement began in 1968. Private/personal import most likely.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Udo,

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
My previous conclusion was that due to its larger diameter barrel, the .45 auto necessitated a modified slide design which ultimately became incorporated across the caliber spectrum. Given the fact no pre HH code .45 caliber P220's exist in our census, until another pinch nosed .45 autos surface I'm inclined to suspect G100889 was a one-off design shop model.

I'm trying to find my Callipers to start measuring barrels. See item 7 above, which I typed before I read you last message.

Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Closeup of silver like finish of early 45 acp magazine not my fingers

[IMG]https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ee427/buble77/FullSizeRender(3).jpg[/IMG]

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How is the left side of the slide marked? I don't see a pic of it.

Any chance it has "SIG" in an oval?

A cleaned up pic for you.

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Para the left side has the normal „SIG SAUER“. No other markings or oval SIG. I‘ll get that pic up and the magazine shots. Photobucket is driving me nuts. I do the exact same steps each time and one time I get a photo up, the next time I a link.
Thanks for cleaning that photo up, I didn’t give you much to work with.

Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Left side

Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Magazine the left one is 889

Large dovetails

Followers: have seen this „tinned“ coating on a few other magazines

Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
For research Tooky13 has the oldest Browning/P220 we have on the serial list. Based on info I have it is the 87th one made and It has as a bull/square nose as can be seen in the photo he has provided.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...740037744#2740037744

posted Hide Post
A very nice example indeed. I love the look of the profile of that generation, especially the upper rear of the slide, the more squared off look. I has an elegant yet bellicose look that says, "come hither and I'll mess you up!" It's subtle yet deceiving. Those grips are elegant in and of themselves. I was bidding on a similar piece several months ago, but had one too many irons in the fire.

Congrats!

-Max

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms.”

-Robert A Heinlein Nov. 1959

Posts: 42 | Location: Idaho | Registered: August 09, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I keep looking but do not see it: Where is the serial number on the frame? Is it on the front of the grip?

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
Such a fantastic find, I never knew they had a 45 ACP with this early look.

Posts: 1497 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p220cop
posted Hide Post
Absolutely stunning find! A true unicorn IMHO.

Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done........

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I'm an amazing beautiful soul. Another person will say I'm a cold-hearted asshole. Believe them both. I act accordingly......

Posts: 157 | Registered: June 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I keep looking but do not see it: Where is the serial number on the frame? Is it on the front of the grip?

It's in a picture in his album, here:

https://app.photobucket.com/u/...5a-bad5-27fc4282c208

Posts: 5821 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Udo:
For research Tooky13 has the second oldest Browning/P220 we have on the serial list. Based on info I have it is the 87th one made and It has as a bull/square nose as can be seen in the photo he has provided.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...740037744#2740037744

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I found this in my research materials- something I picked up from the web a few years back. This is G100905, which puts it 16 away from Udo's pistol. Type 1 slide, with 7.65x21mm and 9x19mm barrels, Obviously, the sights are aftermarket, as well as the grip panels. The pistol rests on a period correct instruction manual.

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Para. Don’t mean to correct but the two are just 6 numbers apart. Obviously some special things were Happening at Sauer when these pistols were made. If they could only talk.