SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Recommend an airsoft or pellet pistol small enough for a woman
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend an airsoft or pellet pistol small enough for a woman Login/Join 
Picture of az4783054
posted
We live in a rural area of northern AZ. This time of year there is an abundance of javelina, usually with infants, so they're aggressive and protective. We've had close encounters with javelina in the past. We've stood still or gone back down the street, yelled, thrown rocks, etc and they retreat. One neighbors dog was recently attacked by an aggressive javelina. The dog was severely injured. Another neighbor was surrounded by a larger pack while walking their new puppy. No attack that time.

Today we were charged by a large aggressive female and a smaller male. The encounter was a surprise and quick. I managed to throw a large rock but it didn't stop. The female was within 15 feet of us before my wife could grab the leash and start running with our partially blind dog. I was forced to dispatch the javelina. One round of 135gr Critical Duty put it down. I called 911, Game & Fish responded.

My wife is a good shot but refuses to carry a pistol. She recently started carrying a Hickory walking stick and a pocket knife because of the javelina.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a woman sized CO2 powered pellet or maybe an air soft pistol? It has to be capable of multiple shots, not a single shot.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
For a javelina? May want to rethink an air pistol...IMNSHO, of course. Smile

Posts: 2932 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some experience training/playing with BB and pellet pistols. I have no confidence that any of them would be ready and able to do what she may need.

It seems to me like she will either have to step up to some kind of firearm or risk being injured if attacked.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
For a javelina? May want to rethink an air pistol...IMNSHO, of course. Smile

Agreed, but I'm not looking to kill if I can avoid it. I have a 12 shot CO2 pellet rifle which resembles a RUGER 10-22 for around the home. It works well to scare them off. It would upset some of the neighbors if she carried it while walking the dog. I just want a javelina to retreat if hit in the ass with a pellet or air soft. Air soft can achieve up to 400fps.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems to me like she will either have to step up to some kind of firearm or risk being injured if attacked.

Agreed.

Mayhap she can browse arc's thread for some other ideas.....

Melee

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12388 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think an airsoft or typical pellet pistol will be basically useless on a javelina. As are a walking stick and a pocket knife.

Javelina are very fast and will slash at their perceived enemy on the run. I have an 85lb Ridgeback/greyhound cross that was cut down to the rib bones by a javelina. She no longer wants anything to do with those creatures.

Posts: 26887 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
I'd have to second that... with a compact CO2 pistol, the most you could hope for would be 400-450 fps. An aggressive javelina would likely get pissed off if engaged with a pellet pistol.

I guess I don't see her distinction between a real firearm and a toy. If she's willing to carry something, it should have the ability to do the job. A pellet or airsoft gun is worse tha a half-measure; it provides a false sense of security IMHO.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
I have some experience training/playing with BB and pellet pistols. I have no confidence that any of them would be ready and able to do what she may need.

That's my thinking as well. After today, maybe I can convince her to take some training to build her confidence.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't think an airsoft or pellet gun is your answer. I don't think they will help at all.

If you want less lethal means, how about pepper spray? Maybe?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53119 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:
I'd have to second that... with a compact CO2 pistol, the most you could hope for would be 400-450 fps. An aggressive javelina would likely get pissed off if engaged with a pellet pistol.

I guess I don't see her distinction between a real firearm and a toy. If she's willing to carry something, it should have the ability to do the job. A pellet or airsoft gun is worse tha a half-measure; it provides a false sense of security IMHO.

Mostly psychological but this may change her attitude. As I mentioned, she's a good shot, on paper at least. She shot my off duty snub nose and did well.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I don't think an airsoft or pellet gun is your answer. I don't think they will help at all.

If you want less lethal means, how about pepper spray? Maybe?

Neighbors who were attacked previously are now carrying bear spray. It would have been ineffective with the winds we had today. The streaming range is about 20 feet. It would probably be a better choice though.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

Agreed.

Mayhap she can browse arc's thread for some other ideas.....

Melee

A lot of good ideas but mostly effective if within arms reach. That's to close.

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
How about a can of bear spray. I admit I have no idea if it would work on a Javelina but seems better then a pellet gun if you want to scare it into retreating.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16387 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
How about a can of bear spray. I admit I have no idea if it would work on a Javelina but seems better then a pellet gun if you want to scare it into retreating.

That's probably the easiest sell for now. My concern would be with the wind. Inadvertent chemical spray could incapacitate her rather than a predator.

Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
An Airedale is a solution. Great family companions and they do not back down from danger. Extremely fast with head movement and have big teeth.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1549 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
An Airedale is a solution. Great family companions and they do not back down from danger. Extremely fast with head movement and have big teeth.

Our Rotties have never backed down from anything either. Unfortunately, our current 9 year old has developed diabetes, with partial blindness as a result.

Our neighbors have heard of what happened. Some are happy there is one less javelina. But the owners of the $1.5 million home in front of where this happened (they were not home), are not as happy. To much blood and G&F officer left the carcass in the brush at one end of their 4 acres.

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I don't know about small enough for a woman but the Nitro NP is deters rabbits in the garden. single shot but I can't think of anything but PCP pistol at this point. big price difference.

https://www.airgundepot.com/be...i-pellet-pistol.html

https://www.airgundepot.com/ha...istol-synthetic.html

Posts: 3501 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Until the javelina learns that the pellet does not really harm it

Posts: 1399 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
Until the javelina learns that the pellet does not really harm it

Just saw this pistol at pepperball.com

Posts: 1399 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’m not at all confident that any kind of air gun would even have an effect on a charging pig of any kind. And that’s if you managed to hit it.

If discharging firearms is not illegal at the location you are walking the dog within, that is the route I would choose. That or find another place to do the dog walking- like a park. If it isn’t illegal to shoot and fish and game don’t get heartburn over it, I’d not give a flying fuck what the neighbors said. The reality is that if your wife wants to continue her walks in the brush with safe regularity, a handgun may be a necessity despite her apparent adversity to the idea.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15543 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post