SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Transporting Pistol to Beretta Factory in MD
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transporting Pistol to Beretta Factory in MD Login/Join 
posted
Will I run afoul of Maryland law if I transported an empty Beretta pistol in a locked case in my trunk from Virginia to the Beretta factory for repairs considering that I had Beretta install a "Competition Fire Control Group" in the pistol? Thus, one could argue that the pistol could theoretically fire faster. I want them to reinstall the stock fire control group since I want to make the firearm for concealed carry. A well respected firearms lawyer in my area has advised me to only carry concealed carry pistols that have stock triggers without any modification. Most people probably do not follow this advice.

I am close enough to drop off the pistol and the only way I can ship it is through UPS which is quite expensive since I used it before. FedEx will not ship for me since I must have a prepaid mailing label from the company before they will ship. I checked and it is in their policy online. There is another inexpensive method for shipping guns but I have tried contacting people on that list before but did not reach any.

Thanks and have a nice day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I thought all operations had been moved to TN?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I thought all operations had been moved to TN?

No they are still located in Accokeek MD and conduct firearm repairs and customization. I imagine the main factory is in Tennessee. Maybe it is more of a service center I just call it factory.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Been a long time but from what I remember make sure you do not have so much as a single round loaded in a magazine and don’t stop anywhere between the MD state line and the Beretta plant.

The reality of it is you will be fine 99% of the time

Chris MD resident from way back.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Been a long time but from what I remember make sure you do not have so much as a single round loaded in a magazine and don’t stop anywhere between the MD state line and the Beretta plant.

The reality of it is you will be fine 99% of the time

Chris MD resident from way back.

It's been less time for me perhaps, but cslinger is correct. The main caveat is DON'T STOP anywhere in between. And stay on the major interstates, at least until you get close to your destination.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
More importantly do they know you intend on doing it? Getting a handgun dropped off at Newington is next to impossible and rare to have them accept a consumer owned firearm.

I would not show up unannounced.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't you just hide it in some hidden stash box in your car if you are that worried about it?

Posts: 20 | Registered: June 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
More importantly do they know you intend on doing it? Getting a handgun dropped off at Newington is next to impossible and rare to have them accept a consumer owned firearm.

I would not show up unannounced.

Yes they do know and have specific hours for all consumers to drop off firearms. Where is "Newington," the Beretta Service Center is in Accokeek, MD.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zarak:
Can't you just hide it in some hidden stash box in your car if you are that worried about it?

Of course I will have it unloaded, no magazine, in a lock box in the trunk. If stopped by the police, I believe that one is required to inform the officer of the firearm.

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
The Newington reference is to Sig headquarters in Newington , New Hampshire.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they don`t ask I don`t tell.

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
Do you have a local trusted gunsmith that can do it? It shouldn’t be a complicated job. I’d save the hassle of travel and any possible legal issues.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd just ship it.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I recently shipped a firearm to CCR. My FFL shipped it for me through the USPS. Used a priority mail box. Cost was $7.90 (for box) plus insurance. Got delivered in 2 days. They didn't charge me any extra for doing it.

YMMV

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by molachi:
I recently shipped a firearm to CCR. My FFL shipped it for me through the USPS. Used a priority mail box. Cost was $7.90 (for box) plus insurance. Got delivered in 2 days. They didn't charge me any extra for doing it.

YMMV

That price is great. I am happy for you. FFL's in major metro area here charge $125 to $150.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Those prices are shameful! GunBroker has a "FFL Finder" feature that is very handy for locating someone nearby to take care of things at a reasonable price. No transfer is happening (some are confused about that point) so $20-$25 is fair for just shipping something out USPS. Call around and get some prices.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks I will take a look

posted Hide Post
quote:
More importantly do they know you intend on doing it?

That's an important question. I once contacted S&W about bringing in a revolver for rebluing, and they told me in no uncertain terms that they absolutely would not accept a handgun from a walk-in customer.

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
quote:
More importantly do they know you intend on doing it?

That's an important question. I once contacted S&W about bringing in a revolver for rebluing, and they told me in no uncertain terms that they absolutely would not accept a handgun from a walk-in customer.

Beretta Service Center in MD accepts walk-in

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Just put the gun in your trunk and drive there if you want.

I live in MD and have traveled to many matched and ranges. I just put whatever case my guns are in in the trunk of my car and go. Never had a problem.

I was pulled over once on the way to a match once with a few guns in my car. I was wearing a Sig shirt and hat. Officer was polite as I was. She gave me a warning and sent me on my way. Never asked about any guns and I didn't offer.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post