SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What's your favorite "woods revolver"?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite "woods revolver"? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
In the late 60's, 70's and early 80's my favorite recreation was backpack bow hunting for elk, or fly fishing in the Rockies, usually by myself. I always had a .44 Magnum with me - my favorite was a Mountain Gun. Now that I am in a different geography my favorite by far is a P220 Carry SAS with a DAK trigger. A better trigger than most Smiths from that time frame, easier to carry, and better capacity. If I had it to do over again that would be my choice, even in the Rockies.

P239
M11-A1
340 M&P

Posts: 552 | Location: Okla | Registered: August 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
S&W 329 PD. Although I now carry a G20.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FishOn,

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If revolver, S&W 610

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
GP100 with a Diamond D chest rig was my go-to. A Gunfighters Kenai recently replaced the leather, but I'm now thinking that I'd rather have a G20 with a Kenai instead.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
SP-101 4.2" chambered in .327 fed.

I like to keep some 32 S&W handy for Grouse, during hunting season. Otherwise .327 is pretty a solid performer.

I do have a .41mag Blackhawk if I'm worried about big ol' bears. It's much less comfortable to pack around though.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think your basic premise is wrong. Once upon a time I carried a revolver in .357 in the woods. But at this point I can't conceive of that being the best choice overall. A G20 is my choice in bear country and a G21 otherwise. Easier to carry, better capacity, more reliable, etc. etc. Of course your YMMV.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Mine is a S&W Mountain Gun in .45LC.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Is mostly use a Ruger SP 101 3" in 357 mag.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For revolvers I like my Ruger Redhawk 4.2” and my S&W 329.

I usually carry a Glock 20 though.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THIEF/banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's your favorite "woods revolver"?

Mod 63. J frame is just a little easier to carry, but can be just as accurate. Hard to beat a S&W .22 RF revolver.

Posts: 71 | Location: PA | Registered: July 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
S&W 4" model 28 with Pachmayr grips.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wiley Clapp version of GP100. My favorite 357 of all time. Its a tank and its practically a snubby at the same time.

Posts: 7500 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4.2 inch Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt. I carry it in a Diamond D chest rig.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post

S&W 696 with a 250 Keith slug at 975 fps. Big medicine for anything I may meet locally. I liked the 696's so much that years ago when they were discontinued I bought a spare.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MNSIG, I think the revolvers you mentioned would be good choices. I'd go with a 4-inch, just for the longer sight radius and a little less muzzle-blast. I'd also add a used Ruger Security Six or Colt Trooper Mark III, or even a Blackhawk (which may be the cheapest choice) to your list.

Whenever I see responses to questions like yours, I always wonder how much "bushwhacking" the respondents are actually doing. Like you, I'm in northern Minnesota (Hibbing at the moment, up to the property north of Isabella tomorrow). My biggest concern when I'm traipsing around Koochiching, St. Louis, Lake or Cook counties is a wolf or wolves going after my dog. Black bears are more of a nuisance than a threat, and while I've seen some two-legged dirtbags, I haven't seen any packs. These days I'm usually carrying a
Ruger Single-Six in .32 H&R because it's light and relatively compact, very accurate, powerful enough with handloads for my needs while not tearing up too much ruffed grouse meat.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I'll jump on the SP101 .357 bandwagon for 90% of my woods time. I prefer the 4" with bright fiber optic front sight. I smoothed up the Ruger trigger with a drop in Wolf spring kit. I had RGrizzle make a superb IWB with clip for it, so that I can wear it any time, even with hiking pants that don't have a traditional belt for normal holsters. I've got a few field holsters as well. When I'm in known bear country on more aggressive outings, I usually move up to a 10mm with solids, but for a fairly lightweight, decent caliber, 100% reliable and plenty accurate rig, that SP101 is hard to beat. Being a heavy, all stainless Ruger, I don't mind beating it up either. It can take whatever you throw at it.

Posts: 824 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:Whenever I see responses to questions like yours, I always wonder how much "bushwhacking" the respondents are actually doing. Like you, I'm in northern Minnesota (Hibbing at the moment, up to the property north of Isabella tomorrow). My biggest concern when I'm traipsing around Koochiching, St. Louis, Lake or Cook counties is a wolf or wolves going after my dog. Black bears are more of a nuisance than a threat, and while I've seen some two-legged dirtbags, I haven't seen any packs.

Very true. Mine is probably similar to yours. Exploring deer land, repairing stands, etc. Having spent a good chunk of my youth in the woods of St Louis County, I never actually shot a bear. I fired a shot over one's head once to scare it away from our lunch pack, but that's it. OTOH: More than a few grouse with a .22 or .44Magnum shotshell.

In reality, it's as much an excuse to shop for and buy a new gun as anything.

Posts: 8958 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good excuse to me!

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I'm looking for a handgun to be used for hiking and backpacking, and leaning toward a revolver. IMO: The durability and cartridge selection outweigh the lack of capacity when covering the spectrum from small game to black bears to bad humans. Probably something with a 2.5-4" barrel in .357 or .44 mag. Top contenders would be S&W 66/686, 629, or Ruger GP100, SP101.

What are your criteria or favorite models for such a firearm?
Criteria is as much power as can be stuffed into as little weight as possibly

Originally my choice would have been the 357PD. 41 Magnum N-frame power but it weighs in like a 4" K-frame

However, Smith and Wesson then released the Night Guard series and I would go with a 357NG or a 310NG. The 310 carries 10MM Magnum ammunition

The Night Guards are pure pleasure to carry since they weigh in just like a 2 1/2" Model 66

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
Ruger's new GP100 in 10mm is awfully tempting!

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post