SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What's your favorite "woods revolver"?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite "woods revolver"? Login/Join 
Picture of bearverine
posted Hide Post
Any one of the ones you listed would be good. I like an old model 19, but rarely carry it.

I also love the old H &R or NEF .22 revolvers. Around east central Indiana you'd seldom need more.

As honor follows service, so the westerner travels to the east.

Posts: 478 | Location: Winchester, Indiana | Registered: April 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Probably something... in .357 or .44 mag.

What are your criteria or favorite models for such a firearm?

Versatility = Desert Eagle.

I love my Desert Eagle, but it pulls my pants down, big time. I go for the S&W 1006 in 10mm with some Double Tap ammo.

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
In my area, I prefer a big bore for carry in the woods. Animal threats are feral pigs (some pretty large), feral cattle, black bear, and alligator.

For that reason, I either carry a .44 mag Ruger Redhawk 7.5 inch, or a .44 mag Smith 629 4". The 4" carries easier, but the 7.5 has a long sight plane, and wears Williams FireSights which make it very easy to shoot, even in deep shadow.

I also have a Model 19, and a GP 100, each in .357 with 4" barrels, but I'd rather throw the heavier slug.

I don't use crazy loads, however. I have some 240 grain Keith bullet loads at 1150 fps that should have plenty of penetrating power, but are still very controllable in those revolvers. They don't really start to jump around in your hand until you get to 240 grains and over 1250 fps. That's where they start to hurt.

Ruger Redhawk

Smith 629

GP 100

Smith 19

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I only have one revolver at the moment, a S&W M29 Mountain Gun. I don't carry it much in the woods any more due to my sweat ruining the blueing. When I did I carred it in an El Paso pancake or a Grizzle IWB with the matching speedstrip carrier, normally loaded with 300gr Hornady HPs.

When I still had a ruger RCR I always carried it in the woods loaded with 2 rounds of snake shot they 3 rnds of corbon 110gr.

Anymore I just carry a G17 loaded with Win 127gr +p+......

Really want a 3" gp100....damned near perfect woods revolver in my opinion

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
While the 686 and GP100's are great guns, I think a "woods gun" needs to have a "4" in the caliber.

Mine is S&W 625 Mountain Gun in .45 ACP. Pre-lock, by the way.

+45! My 625-3 4" with 45 Super in Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
My 5" S&W 29 is always with me when in the woods.

Jim

Great minds think alike, the absolute perfect handgun.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
Ruger Vaquero Birdshead. 44 magnum.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
For concealed carry in black bear country, my 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum. For open carry in black bear country, my 8" Colt Anaconda .44 magnum in a chest holster. For brown bear and moose country, my 7 1/2" Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull in a chest rig.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
I carry a S&W Model 28-2 357 Magnum with 4 inch barrel.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
An old Ruger stainless steel Security Six did a good job for me but in last year went to a 10mm Glock 29. Small so fits a shoulder holster rig to stay out of my way and a heavily loaded 10mm has enough whoop-ass to deal with any 4 legged or 2 legged trouble that might come my way.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1559 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's hard to pick a favorite, but my current favorite is my 2 3/4" S&W 69. I prefer a longer barrel for actual hunting, but the short one is fun for plinking and the odd varmint that I may stumble upon.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed a Ruger Alaskan for a time in the woods.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
S&W Model 58

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
For years my Bisley .32H&R mag and Bisley .22 Long Snapper were, but then we got all these other critters taking up residence and my woods guns all start with "4" now.
A S&W 325PD is one (though I don't shoot it as well as my others), my old 44 Mountain Gun and most often these days my Freedom Arms 97 in 45 Colt.

Years back I had a 696 and sold it because it wasnt THAT much smaller than my Mountain Gun.

And yet, despite the fact that I have all these others and i sure dont need it, I still want a short barreled S&W M69. Because any true pistolero knows this is a trick question. The perfect packing, woods bumin' gun doesn't exist, it's an unobtainable goal, it's a journey, not a destination. And thank goodness for that, it would be much less fun if it weren't. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4"S&W 629 (no dash) that had been tuned and ported by Larry Kelly.

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
P220-10

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W M657 4" .41 Mag. It was a variation of the M57 in stainless. Carried it in the north woods of NY state while hunting deer, canoeing and camping. Very comforting with full house Remington 210 JSP's.

Was camping by myself one time. The only potential threats in the areas I frequented were black bear, feral dog packs and two legged critters. Went to bed in my little A-frame and was sleeping soundly. About midnight I heard noises. Something scraping my tent. Then some bumps. Then (un)funny grunts. Shit...it was a black bear. Laid there motionless with my M657 clutched in my sweaty fingers. He rummaged around for about 15 minutes. Then the glorious sound of silence! He had left.

Fortunately, all of my food was hanging high from a tree branch in a tree about 20 yards away. If it was in the A-frame I might have been bear food. Even with a .41 Magnum.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In revolvers, for what you have listed, I am partial to the GP100, in 4" barrel.

Buffalo Bore makes some rounds that are good for critters up to black bear- and get close to .44mag power factors for the normal lower end .44mag- around 720-750 ft/lbs of energy. [not cowboy load .44mags at 350 ft/lbs or whatever].

On the other hand, I also would seriously consider a Glock G29 for woods carry. 10 rounds of buffalo-bore 10mm outdoorsman rounds are close to the .357mag rounds in energy imparted, but with 10 of them to 6.

As to durability/reliability- I also like that I can simply pull the trigger a second time on the GP100, instead of racking the slide when my other hand may be different.

If I were SERIOUSLY worried about the energy imparted, I'd consider a Ruger SuperRedhawk Alaskan in .44mag.

Those who reference S&W 329 make a good point about pack-ability. The GP100 isn't light.

However, before i complain about an extra pound in the gun, I need to lose 90 lbs around my waist.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Another one here for a SP101 in 3".

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 68 | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post