SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    UPDATE: 229 Legacy Upper on Legion Lower Problem Now Solved
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATE: 229 Legacy Upper on Legion Lower Problem Now Solved Login/Join 
Picture of hollywood_shooter
posted Hide Post

-----------------------------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb with a Sig X-Six protesting that decision."

Posts: 125 | Location: Hollywood, CA | Registered: November 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you manually cock the hammer can the slide then be cycled? Or does it not go back even when the hammer is manually cocked?

Posts: 354 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ah3:
If you manually cock the hammer can the slide then be cycled?

Yes

Posts: 125 | Location: Hollywood, CA | Registered: November 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This may sound stupid but are you sure you're racking it hard enough when the hammer is down?

Posts: 354 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
This may sound stupid but are you sure you're racking it hard enough when the hammer is down?

Not stupid. I'm wondering the same thing. Question needs to be asked. Otherwise, we won't know the answer.

Q

Posts: 26424 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Can you dry fire it in DA? With the slide installed will the trigger completely draw the hammer to the rear and release it? Does it feel the same as when you dry fire it in DA with the original slide?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know how many SIGs I own off the top of my head. Counting.... Nine. I think I have 9 P-series pistols going back to my first w.german 226 from '94. I've never encountered one so stiff...

That being said -- I have XL sized paws. I have a reputation for usually throwing my purse at things and breaking them. I'm typically not gentile.

I did not give it 100%...but I did hit it hard enough that it definitely should rack...

It's not moving any more than when I was told I had the wrong locking block, prior to getting the 228 block from Midwest...

Just feel like if I try harder, probably going to break something...either my hand or the trigger bar, or whatever it's binding on

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hollywood_shooter,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Can you dry fire it in DA?

Yes

With the slide installed will the trigger completely draw the hammer to the rear and release it?

Yes

Does it feel the same as when you dry fire it in DA with the original slide?

Uhhh....now that you mention it - no, it does not feel the same. The legacy upper has a bit of - something - don't know how to describe it -- glitchy-ness in the DA press that the legion doesn't have. I didn't notice before because I did a normal trigger press and pressed right through the rough part, but when I do a very slow controlled press, I feel some kind of engagement going on in the DA press

posted Hide Post
I called SIG and asked questions -- they said it "should work, you did everything right. All I can offer is pack it all up and send it in for us to look at"

Frown

posted Hide Post
Well, I'm not seeing the cause, and the idea of letting SIG sit on it for weeks/months is not appealing.

I hate to give up on my own capabilities, but...

Made a appointment with a local smith for a 'consult'. See if someone more experienced can spot the issue.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hollywood_shooter:
Well, I'm not seeing the cause, and the idea of letting SIG sit on it for weeks/months is not appealing.

Where did you get that impression. If it's fixable with parts it's typically a few days turnaround. Longer waits would be something along the lines of a full pistol replacement waiting on the next manufacturing run.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by hollywood_shooter:

Where did you get that impression. If it's fixable with parts it's typically a few days turnaround. Longer waits would be something along the lines of a full pistol replacement waiting on the next manufacturing run.

I just made a wild-ass-assumption based on my sole experience sending anything in to SIG, but that was like 15+ years ago. I suppose it would have been smart to ask what their current turn-around actually is, but I did not.

Still, I rather avoid sending it off if at all possible, so we'll see what happens tomorrow at the local smith. I can always still send it back to the mothership if there is no apparent solution.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Just to see what happens I swapped my 228 slide onto my M11-A1 and left the 229-1 locking insert in.
Slide went on and went into battery and the slide was able to be moved regardless of the hammer position.
Something doesn't feel right with it this way though and swapping in the 228/229 insert cured that.
Even with the incorrect insert the slide went on though and went through it's full range of motion.

Do you have calipers to measure the width of the legacy slide?
I'm kinda wondering if perhaps you have a legacy .40 slide with a 9mm barrel or something like that.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
Just to see what happens I swapped my 228 slide onto my M11-A1 and left the 229-1 locking insert in.
Slide went on and went into battery and the slide was able to be moved regardless of the hammer position.
Something doesn't feel right with it this way though and swapping in the 228/229 insert cured that.
Even with the incorrect insert the slide went on though and went through it's full range of motion.

Do you have calipers to measure the width of the legacy slide?
I'm kinda wondering if perhaps you have a legacy .40 slide with a 9mm barrel or something like that.

Interesting thought - the barrel definitely says "9mm Para"-- and the slide exterior width on the outside of the rails is 1.116" at the muzzle end, and 1.091" at the hammer end (measured between the serrations, not on them)

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth, I found that the P220 insert for the DA/SA 10mm is not the same as the insert for the SAO 10mm.

When swapped, one felt loose, and the other locked solid. Took a bit of effort to free it.

Sig seems to have close clearances in their production firearms.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a .40 slide

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds like a .40 slide

thanks for that. As I try to match the specs on your jpg, my measurements are falling between the two, or vary depending EXACTLY where I measure.

But just looking at the front of the slide as seen in your photo, the 40/357 is flatter on top, while the 9mm is more of a continuous arc.

Mine doesn't look quite as rounded as the 9mm example, but it's definitely not as flat as the 40/357 example.

ETA: I tried switching from my analog caliper to a digi one. Still getting all my measurements falling between the two detailed in the pics....but the shape still leans towards the 9mm

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
The 9mm slide pictured is a newer long extractor slide and not a legacy slide.

The .40 legacy slide dimensions match the one that I have.
1" across the top above the rails and 1.117" rail to rail at the front.
.989" bottom of rail to top of the slide.

I don't have a 9mm legacy slide to measure but the .40 is wider than the 9mm.

posted Hide Post
quote:
The 9mm slide pictured is a newer long extractor slide and not a legacy slide.

The .40 legacy slide dimensions match the one that I have.
1" across the top above the rails and 1.117" rail to rail at the front.
.989" bottom of rail to top of the slide.

I don't have a 9mm legacy slide to measure but the .40 is wider than the 9mm.

copy that, thanks.

posted Hide Post
Just back from the local smith.

His initial impression is that it's not the locking block (the 228 block still installed at that moment) -- and that perhaps the adjustable GG trigger needs adjustment to allow the slide travel, and asked for the weekend to fiddle with it.