SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Safariland ALS holster for BHP...not a great design
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safariland ALS holster for BHP...not a great design Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
I have been moving to Safariland's ALS holsters for many of my social pistols, I like the security and ease of draw....considering the security.

I just received one for my BHP and it's quite obvious they do not expect someone to carry a modified High Power.

Not sure if the same for a 1911 has this issue but the thumb release hits the extended thumb safety...which is really cool if I was doing trick fast draw shots Cool but not so cool in the real world.

Looks like they designed it for the OEM safety.

Not sure if I am sending it back or not but I can't see carrying it like that.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I have a Kramer IWB #3 that I used for my HP.
Leather not kydex and no retention feature. Works for me firmly gripping the pistol.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I have a Kramer IWB #3 that I used for my HP.
Leather not kydex and no retention feature. Works for me firmly gripping the pistol.

Nice, I have others that are leather but wanted to try the ALS.

Love Kramers....have one for my P228 and if a holster could be called bullet proof it would be that Kramer.

Nice holster and nicely worn

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was surprised to see a fit code in the ALS concealment gear for the BHP (76). I cannot imagine there are many requests for this fit. It is disappointing that the ALS interferes with the safety. Years ago, I occasionally carried my Yost customized BHP on duty in a 6280.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
I was surprised to see a fit code in the ALS concealment gear for the BHP (76). I cannot imagine there are many requests for this fit.

Probably due to the number of military forces that use the Hi Power, or did until just recently.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Ugh, that sucks but I’ve seen a similar issue on an otherwise great holster and how it interacted with a certain 1911 I had at the time. I’ve not tried the ALS but believe I do feel your pain.

I recently had a Novak’s BHP and had good success with a Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB holster but, of course, that’s a different style than what you may be after.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might look at G-Code Holsters. They have a retention system option that might clear the safety.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post