SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Well…thought I was done buying for a while….New Colt Python!!**Update…bought another** (see page 2)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well…thought I was done buying for a while….New Colt Python!!**Update…bought another** (see page 2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Made a second range trip today. Sportsman’s Warehouse centered the blade and tightened the lock screw for the rear sight blade.; I think I may have to adjust it to the right just a bit but it did very well today. It’s very fun to shoot, especially with .357 going down the pipe. Seeing the flame shoot out from the cylinder gap is a trip!!

Bit of a culture shock though as I also took my TSO. Almost no recoil and an amazing trigger. I think I have determined that the CZ is just too tight to use gun grease on as I had several ftrb with it. There is a bit of a tight section of the slide just before barrel lock-up and it stops about 1/4” before closing fully. To be fair it is only a couple of months old with just a few hundred rounds through it and the slide is a very tight fit.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I love 158gr max loads in my .357 Trooper MKV.

They will rattle you back to your childhood.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34072 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I love 158gr max loads in my .357 Trooper MKV.

They will rattle you back to your childhood.

Although healthy, I haven't found the recoil to be unpleasant. Not sure if I have shot anything really maxed out though. I find the SIG P220 Elite SAO in 10mm to have more of a kick than anything I have shot through the Python so far. Kind of surprised really.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After about a month I have really come to love the new Python. They have been very scarce around here in the meantime. While shopping for an AR-10, imagine my surprise when all three of the gun shops I visited yesterday had new 4.25” Pythons! Prices varied from MSRP to $200 above MSRP. My local Sportsman’s Warehouse was where the cheapest one was to be found, just sitting in the case for all of one day, still with some shipping oil on it! So…instead of choosing an AR-10 I brought home a new Python:

I haven’t made it to the range yet but the trigger is as smooth as the one on my 6” Python in double action, but maybe just a little bit lighter. The crown is pristine and the finish is very nice! Unfortunately I didn’t look it over as closely as I should have as it appears that the under lug was scraped a bit when being put into or taken out of the case. It isn’t real bad but it is there. It is better balanced than the longer barrel version but noticeably lighter. I am looking forward to my next trip to the range.

Obligatory picture of the pair:

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
We shot mine all day today.

Everyone loved it.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34072 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We shot mine all day today.

Everyone loved it.

The few guys who have shot mine were very impressed as well!

Is yours a 4.25 or 6”?

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post
quote:

I am anxious to compare the 6" with the new 4.25". I haven't found shooting .357 magnum to be anywhere near unpleasant in the 6", but really love seeing the flame from the barrel/cylinder gap Wink.

posted Hide Post
Beautiful pistols! I am interested in hearing about the difference between shooting of the two different barrel lengths. You have great taste in firearms. The Pythons, TSO, & hopefully SA-35 are all Top Quality. Enjoy.

Posts: 987 | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShootingSigs2:
Beautiful pistols! I am interested in hearing about the difference between shooting of the two different barrel lengths. You have great taste in firearms. The Pythons, TSO, & hopefully SA-35 are all Top Quality. Enjoy.

Thank you! I hope to get a chance to shoot them soon and will post my impressions.

Yes, I have spent a fair amount of $$ and spoiled myself a bit too much the last couple of years. While I don't own an SA-35 yet I had also bought a CZ S2O just before the TSO, and a Beretta 92X Performance about 18 months ago. I was actually shopping for an AR-10 when I ran across the new Python. I feel that a handgun like the Python, being an iconic firearm, is almost a target of opportunity at this time. I am sure that will change in the future though. I guess I did pretty darn good for my first centerfire DA wheel gun purchases Wink

posted Hide Post
Finally got a chance to shoot the new Python this morning, giving me a chance to compare it with the 6” barrel version. I shot Winchester 110 gr 357 mag and Winchester 158 gr 38 spl, with just a few Remington 125 gr Golden Sabre rounds to check for accuracy. Absolutely no issues to report!

The new Colt is very accurate as long as I do my part, and I shot it pretty well given my skills. You can definitely tell a difference between the two, with the shorter barrel being more snappy and louder! It is also better balanced, with less of a tendency to hang. Where it really shined is while shooting the 38 spl in single action, where I was able to keep about 40 rounds in a 5” circle shooting about half at 7 yards and the rest at 15 yards while just shooting at the black, not trying to be precise. The 3 Remington rounds shot very well, with the first 2 shots landing about a half inch apart, while I tossed the 3rd a couple of inches (of course Roll Eyes) at about 10 yards.

Overall I am very happy with both new Colt revolvers. Guess I did pretty darn well with my first two centerfire wheel guns Cool! They look great and shoot just as well. It’s a real trip seeing the halo of flame from the cylinder/barrel gap. Also lets me know that I am not flinching and closing my eyes as a reflex. The single action trigger is very crisp with no real over travel. The double action is silk smooth with no detectable stacking, and fairly light, at least until it is compared to the CZ Shadow 2 with the 11lb mainspring that I shot today also (a bit of a culture shock for a semi-auto shooter which the Shadow 2, and AccuShadow 2, a Beretta 92X Preformance and an S20, all with lighter mainsprings, and a TSO!) I still have some work to do on my double action trigger pull but it is all in all very nice.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The double action is very smooth. My personal preference is for the hammer to come farther back, but this keeps the trigger pull light.

I know the first 2500 or so had a problem with light strikes because of this, but they solved it with a heavier hammer spring.

I wish they would have just given the hammer more inertia travel.

Everyone who has shot this pistol loves it and rings the steel every time.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comparison update. Sounds like they both do well. A little off topic. How is the Beretta 92X Performance Pistol?

Posts: 987 | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The double action is very smooth. My personal preference is for the hammer to come farther back, but this keeps the trigger pull light.

I know the first 2500 or so had a problem with light strikes because of this, but they solved it with a heavier hammer spring.

I wish they would have just given the hammer more inertia travel.

Everyone who has shot this pistol loves it and rings the steel every time.

Engineering trade-offs…..my personal preference is for a trigger to break further from the frame as opposed to close due to my beat up hands. That’s part of the reason I say I have work to do in shooting the Pythons in double action.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShootingSigs2:
Thanks for the comparison update. Sounds like they both do well. A little off topic. How is the Beretta 92X Performance Pistol?

I absolutely love the 92x Performance! It is a heavy beast at almost 50 ounces but is packed with great features like the Brig slide, extended sights and a very nice trigger (I installed a 12lb mainspring). The finish is beautiful and the integrated mag well makes it look cool.

I replaced the extractor spring with a heavier one from Wilson Combat. On the 7th round ever I experienced a first on a Beretta 92 pistol, a FTE!! I was able to pluck the empty out with my fingernail, and it hasn’t ever happened again. It appears some of the early pistols had an extractor spring pocket that was machined too deep. By all accounts that issue has been resolved.

They are great pistols to shoot, especially if you like Beretta 92 pistols but don’t care for the slide mounted safety/decocker. I can’t say enough about how impressed I am with mine and how much I like to shoot it. I don’t think you will be disappointed if you decide to buy one.