SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    5-shot revolver. If not dead, on life support?
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5-shot revolver. If not dead, on life support? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Around here it's 70/30 with 70% being small autos and 30% being a revolver.
As for me I've only just recently delved into pocket or sub compact autos and am beginning to like em for what they are. A SIG P238 is my grab n go for those times when I really don't feel like strapping on a holster. A Kahr K9 for when I need a FLAT piece for concealment, and either my ancient Glock 27 or new too me Springer XDs .45 for the rest of the time or in winter when I want a big bullet and something I can stuff in a coat pocket.
That said I still find uses for my two .38 snubs, the Smith 60 fills the same spot as the 238 and K9, while the model 64 goes out in the colder months.
Plus there's the revolvers ability to digest anything from shot shells to +P that really appeals too me, though that little XDs .45 is the only pocket pistol that's "spoken" to me in a long time!
So yeah, maybe life support...but as far as I'm concerned I love the snub!
Dale

POW/MIA: You are Not Forgotten

Posts: 474 | Location: East St.Louis, Il. | Registered: June 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I like the Airweight J frames. They're quite accurate, at least with practice at self defense distances. They're small and light so good for hiking. For such small guns they have grips that are easy to grab. You can throw them in a coat pocket, glove compartment or backpack without a holster, if needed. I carry a semi-auto most of the time but won't likely get rid of the J frames.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FotoTomas
posted Hide Post
As a retired LEO with a plethora of small and large auto pistols in the house, my S&W 638 is my primary EDC. It carries much easier and presents much better than any of my small pocket autos.

Then again my Kahr PM9 is often in the weak side pocket.

Keep your weapon handy, live free and prosper.

Posts: 814 | Location: Orlando and Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: April 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Soaring Hawk
posted Hide Post
S&W J frame revolvers are my main CCW. I'll use either 642 or model 37. I had my revolvers action custom tuned for smoother double action. Also, cylinders cut for moon clips. Makes a huge difference. They are so versatile and lite weight, that it is easy to carry two if one is inclined. I hardly think J frames are 'dead'. Just not marketed so heavily as semi-autos.

Posts: 1180 | Registered: March 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
I just bought a 442. Absolutely love it for pocket carry.
I have a Model 36 no-dash from my pops who passed away in 2010.

I've also got a Sp101 3" recently that I like, thank you very much.

I guess I'm collecting dinosaur fossils.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I carry a 642 in a pocket holster on a regular basis (backed-up with Quickstrip-brand loaders) - gave another 642 to my dad and, for quite a few years, carried a 638 (also in a pocket holster).

I like them. I've found them to require more practice than anything else I shoot. They are quite handy, though I admit to recently giving some condsideration to finding a small semi-auto to become my pocket-carry choice because I can shoot those better than I can the J-frame.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
If I'm gonna pocket carry that day, it's my 642 in the pocket. It's great that the way the gun is built it keeps most lint out of the action which, to me, is a big deal. I won't carry a semi in my pocket just for that reason.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems by the majority of those posting here, the revolver, and five shot revolver, isn't "dead."

Go figure.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People, people, people...listen to the young folks. They don't want REVOLVERS. How many of them grew up watching Taken, Bourne Identity, etc. See many revolvers in those movies? Where would they have even been exposed to revolvers? I have two 20 something sons and they both carry. They wouldn't carry the snub nose I carry even if I paid them to do so.

Just watching the movie Point Blank from 1967. Now dems are REVOLVERS. Angie Dickinson would have had nuttin' to do with Lee Marvin if he was carrying a wimpy semi-auto.
Get them watching the Turner Classic Movie channel. It may be the best strategy. Smile

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Its dead at my house. But only on life support at the gunshop. Smile

Badkarma! Nice to "see" you sir!! Best regards, 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too nice for
my own good
Picture of sigarmsVin
posted Hide Post
The 5-shot revolver still has a place in my carry gun rotation. It just depends on the situation. I have a Ruger LCR in .38spl+p with a fiber optic front sight. I’ll usually carry it in a SoCo kydex holster. Two speed loaders in the pocket.

Posts: 915 | Location: Tri-State | Registered: March 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Let's face it, this is a thread that's going to bring out the revolver-philes in the crowd. But most of those bought their wheelies years ago.

quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
It seems by the majority of those posting here, the revolver, and five shot revolver, isn't "dead."

Go figure.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Please send me all the dead J frames....I am looking for a 9mm RCR

Saw a Charter arms BD at cabelas....a newer one, at $299 I think it will follow me home.

That being said, my edc pocket carry is ruger LCPs in 9mm

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
People, people, people...listen to the young folks. They don't want REVOLVERS. How many of them grew up watching Taken, Bourne Identity, etc. See many revolvers in those movies? Where would they have even been exposed to revolvers? I have two 20 something sons and they both carry. They wouldn't carry the snub nose I carry even if I paid them to do so.

Smile

Tony Soprano didn't do too bad with one Smile

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Just carried my S&W 638 in an OWB holster today, with a speed strip full of Speer 135GR short barrel HP's in my right back pocket.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far it appears 70 alive and well, 21 on life support, and six for dead...with a few repeat offenders off topic taken out of the mix for truth and honesty.

So...alive.

quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Let's face it, this is a thread that's going to bring out the revolver-philes in the crowd. But most of those bought their wheelies years ago.

Actually, if you READ the thread, you'll find that the vast majority are in favor of the revolver, own the revolver...and many have made recent revolver purchases in addition to regularly shooting and carrying them. Including me, who bought two this summer, and nearly bought another today. May go back and get it yet.

Go figure.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
.357 Mag Ruger LCR works for me during colder weather carry.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I carry one pretty regularly. I'm far more likely to need to dispatch a rattler than fight off a roving gang of scalawags, here in the Jerkwater area. A J Frame or Colt Cobra makes the handiest dispenser for shot cartridges.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
won't ever die, but will be pigeon holed as a pocket carry or ankle carry b.u.g. to many , or a primary carry "in the handbag " primary for the ladies who simply can not be put out by the weight of a real primary gun.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have 2...an SP101 in .357 and a 360 in .38+p. The SP101 is my woods gun (it's a 3"), and the 360 is my pocket gun, for the rare occasion that I need one. They each fulfill a specific purpose, and I wouldn't part with either. Also, my wife would get mad if I did, because no matter how much I keep trying to steer her towards larger, softer-shooting autos, but she keeps going back to the snubby. Easy to load, easy to operate, and she feels like she can get a solid grip on it.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post