SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Just bought an early Beretta 92FS.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just bought an early Beretta 92FS. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
I posted a thread several months ago where I said I wanted to try a "new to me" handgun. Seems to me it was about evenly split between people recommending a Langdon Beretta and people recommending a CZ. In the end, I had talked myself into a CZ TSO 9mm after handling one at a shop. Then some other things came up, and I didn't end up making it happen. The other day, I passed on a deal for a like-new CZ Shadow 2 for $900, which I probably should have jumped on, but I didn't feel like driving to Olympia.

Yesterday, a Beretta 92FS popped up on a local board for $475. Today, I sent the link to my best friend, who is a big Beretta fan, and asked him what I was looking at. 1990 production, good shape, no billboard warning on the straight dust cover, metal internals vs. plastic and non-radiused backstrap, "among the earliest of the 92FS'." Met up with the seller about an hour ago, and looked it over. Minor usage wear in places I'd expect it and otherwise cared for. So I handed the man his money and did the 4473. In Washington, all firearms purchases require a background check and now a ten day wait, so I'll pick this up when I get back from Florida on the 29th, and then watch all the Die Hard and Lethal Weapon films. Big Grin

It's not a Langdon, but it doesn't have those atrocious banner markings the modern production Berettas have. Also, straight dust cover, which also isn't important at all, but I like the way it looks better. In the end, I decided I prefer the older Berettas, aesthetically speaking. A 92 has been on my "must own some day" list for about two decades, so I decided to scratch that itch, and this is my first Beretta. If I want to tinker with it or tune the trigger, that's an option. Or I can just buy a Shadow II or a TSO at some point.

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Congrats! That looks great! I'm a fan of the straight dust cover myself. The only one I had I gave to my little sister. My current 92s are slanted. I prefer my 92s without a rail.

At the very very least, get the Langdon Optimized Trigger bar and a 13# hammer spring. It will really change the way the trigger works. Unless you want to spring for the whole LTT Trigger job in a bag.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Those older Berettas will get their hooks in you. I picked up an M9 a while back on the theory that "every American gun nut oughtta have one and it's on sale". Now I'm still hit with the occasional twinge of doubt as to whether I shouldn't have gotten one of the many 92Ss and Model 51s that were floating around a little while ago.

OTOH, you still see 92FSs of both military and civilian descriptions going on sale, so if you find yourself debating over whether to tinker or tune then it's relatively easy to have one to bugger with and one to keep stock.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Congrats! That looks great! I'm a fan of the straight dust cover myself. The only one I had I gave to my little sister. My current 92s are slanted. I prefer my 92s without a rail.

Thanks, I couldn't say no! Man, your recent posts about the 92 you bought off a coworker for crazy cheap has had me itching to look for a deal like that. Glad I found this one. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:At the very very least, get the Langdon Optimized Trigger bar and a 13# hammer spring. It will really change the way the trigger works. Unless you want to spring for the whole LTT Trigger job in a bag.

That much I'll do at the very least. Not a fan of the skeletonized hammer look, but I may get over that and order the whole shebang.

quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Those older Berettas will get their hooks in you. I picked up an M9 a while back on the theory that "every American gun nut oughtta have one and it's on sale".

I was telling myself that earlier today. Especially if you're a child of the 80's and 90's like me, this is definitely a "must have" for a firearm enthusiast.

quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Now I'm still hit with the occasional twinge of doubt as to whether I shouldn't have gotten one of the many 92Ss and Model 51s that were floating around a little while ago.

OTOH, you still see 92FSs of both military and civilian descriptions going on sale, so if you find yourself debating over whether to tinker or tune then it's relatively easy to have one to bugger with and one to keep stock.

Oh, if I run across a beater for crazy cheap, it's coming home with me and then off to CCR for some CPII action. I was pretty close to bringing an Inox home this past spring because I love the look. I don't think I'll be stopping at one 92.

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Just in time for Hans Guber Nakatomi Tower seasonal shoot off!!

Nice score!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
congrats! bought an identical one from Rhein Main airbase Rod and Gun club in Jan 90..served me flawlessly for many many years. enjoy it

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Doesn’t cost much to improve the feel. The aforementioned LTT TJIAB makes a huge difference for the action. Some thinner G10 grips in your choice of color puts a final touch on an awesome pistol. Congrats

Posts: 13789 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent pick up of the Beretta 92FS.

I think that every gun guy needs the Beretta and a S&W Model 10 in his collection big or small. Mine were purchased lightly used.

Do the G10 grips change the feel a lot?

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I have it's twin, but mine's a 1994, IIRC. Has the straight dustcover and metal controls. It was the first gun I ever bought, and the basis for my username here on the forum. I put a D spring in it and a Langdon enhanced trigger bar, and that really cleaned up the pull and the shortened the reset to where it's reminiscent of a Sig SRT trigger. They're great guns and you got yours at a steal...I think that's almost exactly what I paid for mine in 2006 dollars!

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
metal internals vs. plastic

Other than the Recoil Guide Rod, what other internals are plastic?

I've got an M9 Langdon Special, to which I added the LTT TJIB, Wilson Combat Steel Fluted Guide Rod, and a Wilson Combat 12.5# Chrome Silicon Recoil Spring. I also added a Beretta Aluminum Lanyard Loop, just because... Wink

Did I overlook something and/or miss any plastic parts that should be removed?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8756 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Excellent addition to your firearms family. There's just something about those older 92s that draw you in. I'd drop a Langon trigger job in it and let the rounds fly.

Posts: 818 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
metal internals vs. plastic

Other than the Recoil Guide Rod, what other internals are plastic?

I've got an M9 Langdon Special, to which I added the LTT TJIB, Wilson Combat Steel Fluted Guide Rod, and a Wilson Combat 12.5# Chrome Silicon Recoil Spring. I also added a Beretta Aluminum Lanyard Loop, just because... Wink

Did I overlook something and/or miss any plastic parts that should be removed?

AFAIK the guide rod was the only plastic internal, but they also made plastic coated controls for a while (trigger, slide stop, and safety lever, IIRC). I haven't handled a new 92 in years, so I'm not sure if they're still doing that or not, but I remember when it started it sure pissed a lot of people off. It was also at that time that they started putting the black controls on the Inox guns instead of the original stainless, and IMO that truly was a tragedy. Thankfully my gun is plenty old enough that I never had to deal with it.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I had a beautiful straight dust cover one just like the one you found P220 Smudge, in the original Beretta factory blue box with the original mags, only mine had the original checkered plastic grip plates.

I can't tell for sure from your pictures, but yours appears to be a much dustier gray, however mine was a glossy black finished gun.

I'm sure that its action could have been improved, but I really didn't mind shooting the factory original action.

Sure did love shooting that gun, but tough times forced its sale. I've always wanted to replace it, but I'm sure finding a replacement in as good shape as my old one is going to be difficult.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
nhracecraft, I have no idea, I was just relaying what I was told. My friend is generally rather thorough in his research on firearms he has interest in, so I have no reason to doubt him. /shrug

MDS, that’s just the lighting or the seller’s camera. It’s jet black in person.

More I research about it, the more I’m decided to do some trigger work on it. At the very least, Langdon’s trigger bar and 13# spring. A set of checkered Hogue G10’s are also going to be a nice improvement, I think.

posted Hide Post
92’s are about the easiest modern gun to “homesmith”. (I’m not counting dropping parts into a Glock but actual gunsmithing lol). I like the whole TJIAB route but they are easy, I mean easy, to tear down and put back together. Hardest part is putting sear spring back in and that’s not hard.

Nice pick up.

Posts: 7326 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The only thing to worry about is if it has the old style locking block. The new ones have radiused corners where the winds extend from the body. That prevents cracking.

Most cracked locking blocks don’t ruin the gun, but I had to send two or three back to SARF (navy small arms repair facility) for destruction because we couldn’t get the gun apart.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/...701_624e9f5f90_b.jpg

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Mike, thanks for the heads up on that. I’ll pull it apart when I get it home, and if that’s what it has, I’ll just order a new one.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
1990, thats a nice era for a 92FS. Looks really good and not a bad price at all. I much prefer the straight dustcover. I have a 2014 92G and it has the slanted dustcover and I just don't like it.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Mike, thanks for the heads up on that. I’ll pull it apart when I get it home, and if that’s what it has, I’ll just order a new one.

I had a thread on the subject recently, but they are exceedingly hard to find at the moment for some reason.

Hoosier Gunworks website says have one, act fast if they do.

Beretta factory P/N for the latest and greatest enhanced locking block kit is LE9201.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post