SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Just bought an early Beretta 92FS.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just bought an early Beretta 92FS. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Mike, thanks for the heads up on that. I’ll pull it apart when I get it home, and if that’s what it has, I’ll just order a new one.

I had a thread on the subject recently, but they are exceedingly hard to find at the moment for some reason.

Hoosier Gunworks website says have one, act fast if they do.

Beretta factory P/N for the latest and greatest enhanced locking block kit is LE9201.

Thanks for that. Yeah, I recall seeing that thread now. Looks like Hoosier Gunworks does phone ordering only, so I'll have to call when they open on Monday and hope it's still in stock. Odd that such a seemingly critical wear component for a pistol produced for decades would turn into hen's teeth in 2021.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge: Odd that such a seemingly critical wear component for a pistol produced for decades would turn into hen's teeth in 2021.

It strikes me as odd that I can easily find NOS parts for the M1903 Springfield, M1 Carbine, Garand, Enfield and other firearms that have been out of production for 60-80 years, but that I can't find in stock service/replacement parts for firearms currently in production.

Maddening.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Dam I just looked around and sure enough there are no locking block kits anywhere. Wow.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I think Beretta USA has some INOX locking blocks in stock but I'll wait for the regular. I bought an INOX trigger and installed it 8 days ago and it's rusting.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I think Beretta USA has some INOX locking blocks in stock but I'll wait for the regular. I bought an INOX trigger and installed it 8 days ago and it's rusting.

That doesn’t seem right. Eek

I have to admit… I have already thought of sending this pistol, or maybe everything but the frame to CCR for a CPII job. The stainless and reverse two tone 92’s I’ve seen over the years just call to me.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Not a Beretta but I had a P226 done by CCR. Absolutely gorgeous. If I were going for a "stainless" Beretta I wouldn't bother buying parts. I'd go to CCR.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I bought the INOX trigger from Midwest Gun Works for my son's Samurai Edge build. I have an NP3 trigger along with an Optimized Trigger Bar and 13# hammer spring enroute from LTT.

My barrel just got back from CCR in CPII. I had my PX4 barrel CPII'd as well. They look great!

Once I'm done tinkering with the 92FS I bought off a coworker, I'm going to send it to CCR for a job before I give it to my sister. She is looking at their website now to see which color she wants it done in.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Not a Beretta but I had a P226 done by CCR. Absolutely gorgeous. If I were going for a "stainless" Beretta I wouldn't bother buying parts. I'd go to CCR.

That looks so good. I'm definitely leaning more towards doing it than not.

quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
They look great!

Yeah, I haven't seen or heard of a bad job from them yet.

Man.... maybe I just need to go ahead and get the trigger right with whatever Langdon parts it ends up needing and send it off to CCR when I'm done.

posted Hide Post
We are just in a bad part of the cycle. 92 parts are normally easy to find. Beretta has shutdown huge amounts of their manufacturing and its showing right now.

I too have swapped out all my locking blocks to later gens but I’ve never cracked one. Even if you do it’s usually not a complete lock up the gun ordeal. As described above it can be but many times shooters don’t even know it broke until they clean it. My 35 year old 92F shot its way through a lot of bad reloads (mine) on an old style locking block. I replaced it but I kept it because it still looked fine in a pinch.

Just saying I wouldn’t worry about the locking block until you can find a spare. It’s probably fine. Once things get back to normal 92 parts should be cheap and plentiful again. Hopefully.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, nothing I can do about getting a replacement until the flow of parts opens up again. You know, I have no idea what's in there, it may have been done already. The previous owner said he put less than 500 rounds through it. I don't know if he's the original owner or not, but if it's low round count, it may not be as big an issue as I'm afraid of.

Anyways, this Tuesday I'll be at my best friend's house. He's a big Beretta 92 fan and mentioned digging through his collection of parts and magazines. We'll do that, I'll get the Langdon trigger bar and hammer spring ordered, and a set of Lok G10's. When I get back, I'll pick it up, install those parts, and then it's range trip time.

I signed up for CCR's email list, so the next time they're running a sale, I'll just get the whole gun done. The pics on the site sold me. Nikote on the frame and CPII all the rest of the things.

posted Hide Post
If your buddy is a 92 guy he’ll have a spare locking block or three in his parts bin. I say shoot it till it breaks or you get a new one and can start counting rounds (which I rarely do). They break but lots of them have lots of rounds without breaking. It’s kind of a luck of the draw. I read some treatise on locking blocks years ago that made a good case for its not the locking block that is the problem. It’s how square up the locking block fits into the frame. They basically said that each locking block should be “fitted” to the frame for the best longevity. The radiused cuts in the later gens just allows for the sloppy fit to not have an easy stress riser to form. (Not a metallurgist probably using wrong terminology)

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Got it home last night. I like it. My friend had a whole pile of magazines and said I could take my pick. Got busy and ever ended up doing that, but I got to mess with one of his 92’s and some Mec Gar 18’s, and I know I want some. His 92 is a newer one with a lot of the plastic parts. I can’t explain what feels different in the trigger pull and handling, but it does, and I like this one better after picking it up. I’m glad I snagged this one.

Also just verified it's a clean one owner with less than 500 rounds down the pipe. I think the locking block isn't going to be a concern for a bit. Couldn't be more pleased with this purchase.

Watching Die Hard. Big Grin

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Just managed to find and order a new style locking block on eBay. Should be here on the 15th, so that’s handled. Also just ordered the 13# hammer spring, and trigger bar from Langdon. Greg Cote is offering free shipping with a set of Hogues, so I ordered a set of black checkered.

I can't wait for the range trip.

posted Hide Post
You should have some mags delivered to your USP mailbox earlier today !

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:

Wow that was fast. Eek

Thank you! Check your email. Smile

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:

Wow that was fast. Eek

Thank you! Check your email. Smile

And something else is headed your way today as well. Big Grin

Posts: 12541 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Checked and relied. Thank you, sir! Smile

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Langdon parts and OEM grips from Snake207 arrived today. Thanks again!

Getting the spring pulled back to get the trigger bar installed was a little fiddly. I didn't have the right picks or anything, so I wound up pulling it back with some hemostats far enough that I could slip the rounded end of a safety pin under it, and twist it sideways to pull it forward. Took a few attempts, but I got it back together. Hammer spring wasn't too bad once I realized you just need to manhandle the thing. I wish I had greased the contact side of the trigger bar, as it felt a little gritty once I got it all back together, but I worked some grease under it where I could and it's much better now. Wow. Major difference.

I'll need to get it all apart again at some point and grease that bar, there's still a little grittiness in the take up. Maybe after a range trip, see if shooting it some clears it up.

Also got in my checkered Hogue G-10's, but I'm going to go with the OEM grips for a little bit. Had to go to the hardware store, and luckily found some little rubber O rings that fit, the rubber grips apparently don't need them and everything else does. This pistols feels amazing now. The difference is astonishing.

I need range trip now.