SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pro Series Carry
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pro Series Carry Login/Join 
Picture of Texaspoff
posted
These are supposed to be released as LE only initially, but I I have no doubt they will move out to the commercial markets soon after.

The differences between it and the current X Carry is no slide cutout, standard X Ray front and rear sights, and the RDO plate will accept multiple brands of RDS.

Eveything else is the same, trigger, frame, barrel, etc. Looking forward to this one.

TXPO

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Texaspoff,

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
So, what's the purpose of the slide cut out on the original X Carry, again?

Q

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Do you have the LEO price?

Posts: 12468 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

...supposedly to lighten the slide and balance the gun.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fquico:
quote:

...supposedly to lighten the slide and balance the gun.

Now, suddenly the gun is no longer balanced? The pros (cops) are not getting a balanced gun? Wink

Q

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Q, but now they will be able to pick an RDS other than the Sig Romeo.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I said the cut outs on the x five were purely marketing BS and we’re only there to look “cool”...while letting debris into the gun. Note, I hate them.

Bruce Grey, and others who jumped on the band wagon, clearly said the cuts were necessary for the slide to have the proper weight. When I suggested there were other ways to lighten a slide other than cutting those massive holes, I was told no there wasn’t.

It wasn’t just about balance I didn’t think, it was about proper function. That means that this “new gun” (read latest example of Sig’s marketing machine doing anything to sell a gun) has suboptimal performance and maybe even function. Or, of course the stupid cuts were just a lame attempt to be cool and Sig wouldn’t admit it. Roll Eyes

I’m sorry, but imo Sig has jumped the shark a while ago.

I Wish Bruce wasn’t so close to Sig. It has caused me to take his opinions with a grain of salt lately.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
The LE pricing will be in the $580 range from what I have seen.

The slide cut outs are not purely marketing, at least on the X Carry version. My X carry has a tad less recoil than my standard 320 with the x frame. It isn't scientific, but I can tell the difference.

That being said, Sig can remove weight from the slide by milling out material from the inside. They did this on the early production 320s, so they could do the same for this one to mimic the recoil characteristics of the current X Carry.

Sig is all about marketing and moving product now especially with their current leadership. While QC and a few other areas suffer, they at least listen to the consumer more than other manufactures for the most part.

I'm not giving Sig a pass because of it, but it does allow for requested products to show up much more quickly. The drawback to this is a lot of us end up being beta testers.

Because of the Pro Series X Carry parent linage, and they have been solid, I see no reason for any glitches to pop up with this one.

Without a doubt this pistol was based on requests and feedback from LE and military folks. That was the intent of the Pro Series from the start according to our Sig LE rep.

With this Carry falling in at that price point, it will no doubt show up in a lot more LE holsters. I know of at least 12 officers that were waiting on this model and have them on preorder, myself included.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I said the cut outs on the x five were purely marketing BS and we’re only there to look “cool”...while letting debris into the gun.

Yup. Completely agree with you on this, although I don't particularly care for any of the plastic SIGs.

Q

Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I said the cut outs on the x five were purely marketing BS and we’re only there to look “cool”...while letting debris into the gun.

Yup. Completely agree with you on this, although I don't particularly care for any of the plastic SIGs.

I do agree with the debris part for sure. Also consider the Glock 34/35 and a few of their others, have slide cut outs. Haven't heard of any issues with those, but then again I only know of a few guys carrying them on duty.

I'm with you though, the cutout is the one thing that keeps me from carrying my X carry on duty. I carried it off and on, but my expectation of murphy showing up at the wrong time, convinced me to bench it because of the cutout.

The pro series at least puts that to bed. I wasn't the only LE worried about that either hence this pistols configuration.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I can somewhat understand the G34/35 slide cut out, because of the long slide, to lighten them. But, on the short gun like the X-Carry to make it more balanced? It's just pure BS. What's the barrel length on the X-Carry? About that of the G19? You're telling me that taking a chunk off the top of the slide makes it more balanced?

Q

Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I just don't understand why they didn't market it better. Slide cuts are great for competition guns (able to fire weaker, downloaded ammo) and potentially aid in barrel cooling for high count matches... but they didn't seem to market it that way at all.
And the carry size? Again, great for edging an advantage in restricted competitions, but I prefer to carry a longer slide on a shorter grip. Another marketing fail for me there.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3354 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of seabass
posted Hide Post
Texas,

Is the rear sight still part of Romeo optic plate or can change out the rear sight separately?

Posts: 1139 | Location: CA | Registered: July 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like the rear site is now separate from the plate.

And yeah, lightening cuts are fine on a competition gun. Cycling light loads is a good thing for those guys.

But calling a gun a "carry" gun and having open holes in the slide is no bueno imo. This new version with the rear site not attached to the slide and no cuts in the slide is much better for carry imo.

Having said that, I think there are better striker guns for carry though. However, if I was an LEO and I had to have a 320 as my duty gun, no doubt this would be the version I'd go for.

I've never owned a G34 because of the open top on the slide. I just noticed the other day the the new Gen 5 34's have done away with the lightening cuts and have one on order.

Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
I don't know about better balance, but the slightly reduced slide mass, small as it may be does make a difference in recoil tracking for me between my X Carry and Standard 320 compact. My compact model is sporting a X frame, and the X carry shoots a bit flatter and the slide cycles slightly faster. You can feel the difference when shooting them side by side.

Maybe on the X five model it may balance the pistol better than if it wasn't, but I don't have any full sized, or X fives to compare.

Yes the rear sight is now a standard Sig dovetail cut like the other 320's. The RDS plate is now a separate piece and the cut is a more universal. It isn't specific for the Romeo 1.

Slide cuts are fine for a comp gun, but like others have said I can't do them on a duty pistol or CCW gun. I have had my duty pistol in stuff that had there been an open slide cut, the gun without a doubt would have failed.

I am looking forward to picking one up and running it, but truth be told, since my first outing with the 19X, I now own three of them and one has been modified a bit and is currently my all time favorite duty pistol.

It will have some big shoes to fill

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texaspoff:

TXPO

Where did you get a black 19X?

I just got one (gift); it's the mustard yellow-tan color. Looks like something found in a diaper. I think it was sold that way to make it look more like the original offering for military competition, but I'd have much preferred plain black.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing he had it dyed or painted.

Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by Texaspoff:

TXPO

Where did you get a black 19X?

I just got one (gift); it's the mustard yellow-tan color. Looks like something found in a diaper. I think it was sold that way to make it look more like the original offering for military competition, but I'd have much preferred plain black.

I built it, Cut off the front tab to accept all generation of magazines, including 5th Gen. Dyed the frame black with Rit Dye, and had the slide Nitrided. Building a second one black, same treatment, but the slide is being done in DLC.

I like the Coyote color, My third one is still factory colors. I use that one for range and training. The two black ones are duty pistols.

Glock is releasing a black version later this year, but I got tired of waiting.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

posted Hide Post
Interesting. Thanks.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can somewhat understand the G34/35 slide cut out, because of the long slide, to lighten them. But, on the short gun like the X-Carry to make it more balanced? It's just pure BS. What's the barrel length on the X-Carry? About that of the G19? You're telling me that taking a chunk off the top of the slide makes it more balanced?

The cutouts on the G34 and G35 were done to get the respective slide weights down to the point where G17 and G22 RSAs can be reliably used. It's Glock being Glock and trying to create as few new model-specific parts as humanly possible.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post