SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Allen & Wheelock Centerhammer Navy Model Revolver
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Allen & Wheelock Centerhammer Navy Model Revolver Login/Join 
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted
Here is an unusual and fairly scarce percussion revolver - the Allen & Wheelock Center Hammer Navy. As described in Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms, this revolver was made circa 1861-62 (although Tim Prince, College Hill Arsenal, states that he believes they were produced from 1862 to early 1864).

The Center Hammer percussion revolvers were manufactured during the early days of the American Civil War, after Allen was forced to stop producing their Center Hammer Lipfire revolvers, due to their infringement on the Smith & Wesson / Rollin White "bored through cylinder" patent. Approximately 500 of these Navy model revolvers were produced during this period. The guns were conventional, single action percussion revolvers with 6 shot cylinders. The standard barrel length was 7 ", although the guns were also produced with 5", 6" and 8" barrels.

Again, per Flayderman, "these revolvers had walnut grips, blued finish, and casehardened hammer and trigger guard... While no government contracts were given for this model, it is considered a martial piece by collectors."

This particular pistol times, locks up and functions exactly as it should. The gun has a unique triggerguard/cam action loading lever - you unlatch the trigger guard and swing it forward to serve as the loading lever. This pistol is a 6" model. The barrel is lightly marker ALLEN & WHEELOCK. WORCHESTER / ALLEN's PT's. JAN. 13. DEC. 15. 1857.

As stated, it is believed that approximately 500 of these Centerhammer Navy models were produced, and this pistol is number 499. The number is located on the frame under the left grip panel, on the cylinder, on the cylinder arbor pin, on the arbor pin "tab", on the inside of the loading lever, and on the insides of the both grips.

This is a pistol most have never heard of or seen and I wanted to share my recent find.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6736 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
This is SUPER cool. Thanks for sharing!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1959 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
A very unusual revolver which I have never heard of. Appears in solid condition too. What is its caliber?

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
What is its caliber?

This is a .36 caliber pistol.

Some might assume the terms "Navy" and "Army" as they pertain to Civil War pistols refer to the branch of service the pistols were used by (I did when I first got interested). In actuality, Navy refers to a .36 caliber and Army is .44 caliber. There were lots of "Navy" pistols used by the Army in the war and vice versa.

Posts: 6736 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That is very cool! The trigger guard loading lever is an ingenious way to keep the sleek lines of that gun and still provide the necessary functionality of the lever. The smooth lines of that design are awesome, too...I love the way the frame seems to flow smoothly right into the grip panels. Looks like a nice clean example, too...great find!

Posts: 8594 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Exceptionally cool.

Posts: 3807 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Your informative „show and tell“ was really enjoyable.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Udo:
Your informative „show and tell“ was really enjoyable.

Thanks. I know most are probably interested in modern pistols but I think the Civil War percussions are very interesting. Maybe a few others do also.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's enough to give stylophiles a chubby Razz

Posts: 107649 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like that scheme for the loading lever, I expect it takes a lot less effort than a Colt because a gear action like that can produce more leverage that what Colt used on their revolvers.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5658 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
The loading level operates very similarly to rack & pinion design of later years. It's much smoother to operate than the more conventional under barrel loading levers of the time.