SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Old school carry guns…
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old school carry guns… Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
I’ll be the first to admit I’ve spent a LOT of time, and sadly more cash than I want to admit to chasing the next new thing…. I’ve always marveled at those who find their one gun that works for them and stick with it through the years (or decades…).

I was looking for some stories out there FTO those of you who settled down on a carry gun that you e stuck with for a long time. I’ll call it a lesson learned for people like me who should’ve learned earlier that once you find something that works - it’s ok to stop looking for the next new thing.

Pics of old workhorse carry guns would be great!

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
My old 39-2 gets some belt time when I'm feeling nostalgic. Especially now that the weather is starting to cool and a jacket will be worn the Smith in a DonHume holster tucks away nicely. The aluminum frame makes it a pleasure to carry, the pistol feeds everything and it's an accurate shooter.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I carried this for many years.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
Both holster & gun look great! What did you replace them with?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8930 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
In almost 30 years of carrying a firearm, I carried an HK P2000 for a little more than a decade. I carried it chambered in 357Sig for most of that time. Then I bought a P2000SK in 357Sig, started carrying that before purchasing a P2000 in 9mm to lower the cost of training. Then I realized that I shot the 9mm way better than the 357Sig so I purchased a P2000SK in 9mm and sent both 9mm off to Gray Guns for some action work. I continued to carry the P2000SK 9mm mostly for the next few years until I succumbed to the P365. I eventually reconfigured the P365 into my own version of a P365X first with a laser sculpted GGI module and then a Wilson XL module. My only other change to the 365 was to add an Apex magazine release. I’m about 3 years into the P365 and have yet to find myself with even the hint of wandering. I’ll occasionally wear a Glock 19/MR920 or an S&W Mod 66 2.5” when I feel nostalgic. Most of my range practice has been bouncing between the Glock platform, various P320s, and an MK26 P226.

I too am envious of those that find a platform and stick with it for decades. I truly thought the P2000 was going to be my last carry gun. I never dreamed a gun the size of a P365 would come along with the same payload as the P2000SK. Now that I figured out the best configuration for me to balance concealability with my ability to shoot it well, I hope this one lasts a few decades. I’m looking forward to seeing some workhorses with decades of honest wear.

Posts: 2948 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^^^
Both holster & gun look great! What did you replace them with?

A 365X and a slim-tuk DeSantis holster.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
During the mid-1970's and into the early 2000's, I was a LEO and experienced the rapid changes as the kinds of handguns cops carried evolved from the "traditional" blue steel, revolvers to polymer framed semi-automatic pistols. From .38 Special RNL ammunition to more reliable 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP JHPs. My off-duty carry was a Star PD .45 ACP for more than a decade. It was compact, light, accurate, and very reliable using the most advanced JHP ammunition available at the time, and certainly it's 6+1 capacity was better than than the five shot S&W J-frames most of my contemporaries carried back then.

I wasn't comfortable carrying a 9mm, but when Glock offered the compact .40 S&W Model 23, I noted it was comparable in size to the Star PD, but provided a 13+1 capacity. The caliber seemed about as capable as the .45 ACP and I went with this design as my duty weapon while assigned to our Office of Criminal Investigations and as a primary off-duty choice until retirement (in 2008) and for some time afterwards. There were Sigs I carried occasionally too (including a Custom Shop P245), but when the P365 was introduced, it really impressed me as fine CCW choice.

The P365 is small and easily concealed design, while offering good ammunition capacity (10+1) in a caliber (9mm) that's proven vastly more effective due to advances in bullet design. When Sig offered a replacement "X" slide that allowed owners of the original P365 to mount an optical sight on their pistols, I bought one and upgraded with a Holosun 507K (green dot). Would I carry a subcompact .45 ACP today or Glock 23 .40? Sure, but I really feel the P365 provides distinct advantages over the "old school" choices I had 40 years ago.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I carried a G19 off duty for a decade.
Last year I went to a G43X..that lasted less than six months and I’ve been carrying a Ruger commander sized 1911 since.
I had a ss colt commander in 1990 and eventually sold it for the next thing.

I’ve ad several 1911s but we weren’t allowed to carry single action by policy.
Last year it clicked that I’m no longer bound by policy and I can carry what I want.

So I’m back to the 45 and I’m OK with 8 rounds (Wilson combat makes a nice magazine)

Usually IWB kydex, but some clothing requires the OWB

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
S&W Model 19 with 4" barrel. A reliable old friend.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1552 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those awesome photos. Sorry none here.
The longest period for me, from the late 80’s to mid 00’s , was an HK P7, and a Seecamp 32 when smaller was necessary.
Then Kahr K9 for a bit, then Cajunized PCR, intermittent J frame, then G43, now also “succumbed” to a 365 for all purposes.
The G43 and P7 still call me.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
My S&W 49, carried off and on
since 79'.

Posts: 1550 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W 3914 for winter.
S&W CS9 for summer.
S&W 642-1 for deep carry.
Sig P6 for BBQ

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quick thread drift. Marsy, what holster is that? Looks similar to a Ted blocker but not quite. I own a pair of detective specials that clearly should be carried from time to time but I don’t have proper leather for them. Thanks.

Posts: 1625 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started out with a BHP in my days overseas.

After that, my off duty was always centered around my duty gun, and what the department allows.

I was able to carry and conceal a P-220 rather well when I got on the job.

Occasionally, a nice S&W snub (now it's a 340pd) fits in my pocket.

Then we got the Glocks! The G-30 worked since my duty was a G-21.

Then I switched to the G-19 because it's thinner, and toss in a G-17 mag as a second magazine.

The G-43x is a nice little gun, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the rounds for the size...
Then I found the Shield Magazines Wink
So about 95% of the time, it's a G-43x with a Shield magazine.

When I retire and move way the hell away from here, I'll probably go back to a BHP in a IWB again.
Maybe one of my nicer 1911's.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
From the thread title I was expecting t see things like the Colt 1903 Hammerless in .32ACP that my dad carried back in the day. Back in the day meaning when he had a concealed carry permit issued in Los Angeles.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I’ve been on the Glock 43 and 43x for quite awhile now. Still carry my 42 and 48 at times.

I’ve considered a P365x with a WC grip but I can’t decide which Glock I’d sell to fund it. I wish I was in a position to not sell anything and just pick up a P365x but I’m not. Plus, I already have enough just sitting in the safe at any given time.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:
My old 39-2 gets some belt time when I'm feeling nostalgic. Especially now that the weather is starting to cool and a jacket will be worn the Smith in a DonHume holster tucks away nicely. The aluminum frame makes it a pleasure to carry, the pistol feeds everything and it's an accurate shooter.

I have always liked the looks of the model 39-2 with the wood grips. Just never did find one at a good bargain price when I had funds. Now due to health issues for my wife, gun funds are next to -0-. Just hoping to retain my small accumulation by gun forum standards and not have to sell off any of my weaponry.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 94hokie:
Quick thread drift. Marsy, what holster is that? Looks similar to a Ted blocker but not quite. I own a pair of detective specials that clearly should be carried from time to time but I don’t have proper leather for them. Thanks.

It's a Binachi #56 paddle Colt DS from the late 70's.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post
Carried a P229 in the winter and a P239 in the summer until the P365 came out.

Now a p363 in my pocket 12 months a year

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I’m enjoying the pictures and history in this thread!

I’ve gravitated through a fair assortment of guns over time and have really only recently started holding-on to some steady pieces. Most of them are of an older-school variety (1911s, Browning Hi-Power, N-frame S&W .357s), but for several of them, they came with miles already logged by previous owners. I am now enjoying putting my own miles on them / rounds downrange through them.

I also have a fondness for leather gear and use that predominantly these days. This Davis Leather setup with a BHP (equipped, as you’ll see, with more recent-vintage Hogue G10 grip panels) gives me an old-school sensation, at least…

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post