SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Old school carry guns…
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old school carry guns… Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Here's an old S&W .455 Hand Ejector from WWI that was chopped and reamed for .45 Colt.

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clang:
Here's an old S&W .455 Hand Ejector from WWI that was chopped and reamed for .45 Colt.

That is VERY cool right there! Great gun in a great cartridge.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Sir would be a Grail gun for me...VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Circa 1947

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Z06,

Posts: 4028 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt 1903 hammerless Pocket Carry 32 acp. Colt Cobra 38 Spl mfg 1970. I just picked up a Colt Government Model Pocketlite .380. When my hand is too weak I have these vintage and accurate Colts as carry pieces.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Z06,

That's a great picture with all those 1947 coins added.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never carried it but this 4516-1 is the closest I have to an old school carry gun.
I'm considering making a holster for it just to see how this beast carries.
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amc:
I've never carried it but this 4516-1 is the closest I have to an old school carry gun.

The single-stack alloy-framed S&W 3rd Gen compacts carry really well. So the 4516 with its steel frame would be about a half pound heavier, but still workable.

I used to carry a 3913 as my off duty gun, but got rid of it when I consolidated on striker-fired guns. (And by that time, there were higher capacity double-stack polymer framed guns that were even smaller and lighter anyway, even before the newest stuff like the P365 came out.)

But if all I had to carry today was something like a 3913 or a 4513, I wouldn't complain much.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Man, that 4516-1 is SWEET!!!

quote:

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
When I got my first CWP in WA in Nov. 1973 I carried this Model 38 (shipped: Oct. 1972) that I bought new Jan. ’73.

The pocket holster shown is from 2018 and probably #5 as I wore out the others. I have other models and types of pistols that I have carried over the last 48 years, but this one is my ‘old school’ favorite. It is now my wife’s favorite and she carries it when out and about.

Bad @ss! What a timeless carry piece. I’ve carried mostly revolvers for years now and yours is an old school masterpiece that is still viable today.

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm considering making a holster for it just to see how this beast carries

I will save you the time. It gets really heavy, really quickly. That said, it is totally badass and I would totally do it! Big Grin
I carried one for years in the 90’s because it was easier to carry off duty than my duty 4506. Good times.

Posts: 869 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:

quote:

Indeed! I have a buddy who has one of those. He let me shoot it and I immediately wanted one. Great trigger, smooth, and not bad recoil for a .45. I would be bugging him to buy his, but it was his grandpa's duty gun, and there's no way I could ask him to part with it. I did tell him that he needs to keep it forever, though, lol.

It's a bit heavier than my P245, but I think I could manage carrying it just fine. If I had one, it would at least get occasional holster time.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDSigManiac:
quote:

I will save you the time. It gets really heavy, really quickly. That said, it is totally badass and I would totally do it! Big Grin
I carried one for years in the 90’s because it was easier to carry off duty than my duty 4506. Good times.

Yeah its low capacity and very heavy. I have much better choices for ccw but this gun is begging to be carried. Started cutting leather yesterday and will post pics when I'm done.

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BennerP220:

Thanks Benner¡

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah! I can’t wait to see this!! Nothing better than a small .45 like that! I wouldn’t mind the weight, personally. Still carry my P228 on the regular. One day I’m going to get a small 45 and thin my herd a bit.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JDSigManiac:
quote:

Yeah its low capacity and very heavy. I have much better choices for ccw but this gun is begging to be carried. Started cutting leather yesterday and will post pics when I'm done.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally finished my 4516 holster. Kinda a copy of a MacDaniels holster. Now it's a carry gun!

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
That looks great! That leather looks terrific. I wish I knew how to do that. Thank for sharing. I’m green with envy.

quote:
Finally finished my 4516 holster. Kinda a copy of a MacDaniels holster. Now it's a carry gun!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
That looks great! That leather looks terrific. I wish I knew how to do that. Thank for sharing. I’m green with envy.

Thanks. Its a newer hobby. I've done 8-10 so far not counting a few throw aways.
I've been carrying the 4516 all day and it carries surprisingly well. The extra weight is noticeable but not excessively so.