SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 ST, Nitron inquiry...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 ST, Nitron inquiry... Login/Join 
Picture of Falcon
posted
At my local gun shop, I saw what I think might be a used P220 ST all black nitron pistol. It has some odd wear on the right side frame and I didn't do the magnet test but judging from the pics does anyone think this might be one of those T&E police issue pistols?

Click on pictures for larger views

Posts: 72 | Location: Alabama | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Something seems odd about the gun. Someone who is more familiar with the models will probably chime in, but the P220ST I have has the accessory rail and more matte Nitron finish on the frame. Although it’s hard to be sure, the finish on this one appears more like the aluminum anodized finish. The gun also has the old style 8mm trigger. I suppose the lack of a rail and the old style trigger aren’t impossible with an all-stainless steel P220, but as I say, it looks odd.

Added: If the wear on the frame is what it looks like in the photo, i.e., the slivery base metal showing through, then I’d bet a nickel that it’s anodized aluminum. Nitron is an extremely durable finish and unlikely to show that sort of wear from normal use.

I would not purchase it without the magnet test on the frame.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47413 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26472 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Something seems odd about the gun. Someone who is more familiar with the models will probably chime in, but the P220ST I have has the accessory rail and more matte Nitron finish on the frame. Although it’s hard to be sure, the finish on this one appears more like the aluminum anodized finish. The gun also has the old style 8mm trigger. I suppose the lack of a rail and the old style trigger aren’t impossible with an all-stainless steel P220, but as I say, it looks odd.

Added: If the wear on the frame is what it looks like in the photo, i.e., the slivery base metal showing through, then I’d bet a nickel that it’s anodized aluminum. Nitron is an extremely durable finish and unlikely to show that sort of wear from normal use.

I would not purchase it without the magnet test on the frame.

I had a 220ST in stainless. That frame looks alloy to me not Stainless. The frame was cut for a light on mine. The edges were more sharp than that in photo.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Falcon
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, it is greatly appreciated. In artifical light of the gunshop the wear on the right side has more of a brass color than the silvery color shown by the camera flash in the photo's. Not that this means anything other than your probably right about it being anodizing wear. I think the G 326 3XX SN indicates a 2002 gun which might be around the same timeframe these were produced.

Reading 12131's first link, it mentions a magazine diconnect safety on these, can anyone confirm this? As I recall while handling it, this gun didn't have that feature.

Posts: 72 | Location: Alabama | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the subject of, "testing the frame with a magnet":

A very strong magnet will appear to stick to the lower flat surface of the trigger guard due to the steel trigger. This is not a good place to check.

A better place to check with magnet is the lowest part of the grip, front strap area (WITHOUT the mag installed).

Posts: 160 | Location: PA | Registered: December 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Falcon
posted Hide Post
I went back and did the magnet test and the frame turned out to be aluminum alloy. Oh well, so much for that!

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Sorry it didn't work out for you, but thanks for the update to confirm some impressions.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47413 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Yeah sadly that mutt is going to disappoint someone.
Still love the P220ST I bought off a member here.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post