SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig Pistol Opinions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Pistol Opinions Login/Join 
Picture of SGT69
posted
I have an opportunity to purchase several firearms from someone who is terminally ill and needs to dispose of nearly all of his handguns and long guns. I've already committed to buying several pieces but would like to get some opinions on a few of the Sig pistols that I'm still on the fence about. Here they are:

Sig P229 Sig CPO/Redbox German Frame .40 cal never fired since receiving from dealer. Purchase includes .357 Sig barrel and 4 mags. (under $500)

Sig P227 45 cal (new) never fired, FDE, night sights, includes 5 or 6 magazines. (under $700)

The prices seem more than fair. I didn't want to list any actual selling prices so that no one assumes I'm soliciting buyers - I AM NOT.

Posts: 95 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
If I were you, I would buy them if you are interested in them. They are not collector pieces, if that is what you are thinking.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
wow, you got 2 winners there. Good to see them go to a good home.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Don't know much about 229s, but the 227 seems to me to be a slightly more comfortable and controllable version of the 220. FWIW, the 226 fits me well and seems to me to be a bit easier to control for it. Depending on the shape and size of your hands, your mileage may vary.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the 227, but the 229 is an excellent deal with the mags and spare barrel.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Both excellent buys.

Q

Posts: 26421 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at the cost of the magazines today and what you'd have to spend to get them, and you're getting a bargain.

The P229 in .357 Sig is a great handgun. In .40, for which it was built, it's the best platform on the market.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Jump on them. Excellent deals both.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SGT69
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
If I were you, I would buy them if you are interested in them. They are not collector pieces, if that is what you are thinking.

I'm not a collector. I'm retired LEO and have always loved the SIG pistols that I own. I already have two P220's but the P227 really interests me. I also already own a P229 in .40S&W but getting a .357SIG barrel and 4 more magazines for a great price seemed to be a no-brainer.

Posts: 95 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

This^^^

Both are fine pistols, but neither have much investment potential. Get one or both if you want to shoot them but not b/c you hope they will appreciate in value.

Market demand for both models is pretty low. The P227 was recently discontinued, and LE trade-in CPO 229s in 40S&W are currently available for $500. At least where I live, you would be hard-pressed to find someone willing to trade a G17/19 Gen4/5 for either.

IMHO, the P229 is a little better deal than the P227. The 357Sig conversion barrel runs $150 new. The P227 never really caught on. Its 12rd mags were problematic, and it never got out of the shadow or the P220.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: iron chef,

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Snap them up. The other comments were valid, but in many markets, quality guns are virtually impossible to get right now. The calibers have plenty of ammo out there, too. I would not hesitate.

Posts: 17146 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your friend. Well it is that he is able to make sure his collection go to good homes. I would pay those prices willingly.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It all depends on what you think you would shoot,.40,.357 Sig,etc. or ammo. availability/shootability. Like others have said, there is not much in collector value but they are solid guns. I am amazed at how little recoil there is with the p229 in .40. Mine shot like a 9mm, in terms of recoil.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
What others have already said up top - but I'll echo anyway.

That 229 deal is fantastic, especially with the extras. The 229 is THE pistol for shooting .40 and probably the best .357sig out there as well. Actually, the .357sig is tied between a 229 and 239. Hard to explain, just is.

The 227 is a good deal too - just not as popular. It should have caught on but didn't.

Posts: 824 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That P229 is a hell of a gun. I’ve had mine longer than any other pistol I’ve ever had and will never part with it, I don’t even like .40 but I love that combo. When I do carry it I’ll pop the .357 barrel in it but that is one damn fine shooting pistol

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
What others have already said up top - but I'll echo anyway.

That 229 deal is fantastic, especially with the extras. The 229 is THE pistol for shooting .40 and probably the best .357sig out there as well...

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I can’t agree more with the others!
My “legacy” P229 in .40 S&W will never be sold. And, the trigger is so smooth in DA, and it’s very clean in SA mode. It’s nothing special to look at, except for its utilitarian “beauty,” I guess. In fact, my best friend of 20 years has asked to borrow it short-term to see if he wants to buy one for himself. If he weren’t such a true friend, I would never let it out of my care & control.

You can’t go wrong buying both.

My condolences to your friend and his family.

Former US Army, Sgt., 82nd Abn. Div. Paratrooper,
Infantryman, (81mm Mortars) Certified Armorer

Love God, Country, & Family

Posts: 89 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post