SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    A Fun Find - S&W Model 27 with a Particular Set of Custom Stocks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Fun Find - S&W Model 27 with a Particular Set of Custom Stocks Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
I’ve had a “thing” for Skeeter Skelton / Roper-style grips as once offered by the late Deacon Deason’s Bear Hug Grips and, following, by Tedd Adamovich of Blu-Magnum Grips. I blame the early articles of the likes of John Taffin and Sheriff Jim Wilson, among others, for this “affliction.”

With the passing of Mr. Adamovich not long ago, I felt I’d missed my shot at these particular grips short of finding some on the used market, where I knew the price would likely be quite steep.

Along the way, I’ve also developed an affinity for the S&W Model 27. Imagine my interest when an attractive specimen appeared on an auction site wearing what very suspiciously looked like a set of Bear Hug / Blu-Magnum stocks. Smile

I was actually too chicken to ask the seller about the grips LOL - I was concerned it might drive the price higher haha…

The gun in question is a 27-3 variant, meaning it didn’t have the otherwise desirable “pinned and recessed” features. I’m sure this gun would have sold for more had it been a 27-2 or earlier variant.

As it was, I won it and was tickled to see upon receipt that, yes, in fact, the grips are Bear Hugs!

I’d originally thought I’d rotate these stocks amongst my other 27s, and I probably still will at some point. For now, though, they are right at-home on this one. Smile

I’ve had this one to the range a good bit since…it is a fine shooter.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a fine looking specimen of a 27, and those grips look great!

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Man that's a beauty, nice score! You certainly have a knack for finding the good stuff! My collection is still missing a large frame Smith...maybe someday Smile.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He made a number for me several years ago. 25-5

Posts: 458 | Location: Ocala, FL 34478 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I like the way you roll. Skeeter was also a big fan of the .44 Special S&W and as a result of his following (count me among them), S&W released a limited number of 4" and 6.5" Model 24-3 revolvers in the mid-1980's, of which I purchased one of the later. I had Master Gunsmith James Hoag trim the barrel down to 5" (Skeeter's favorite length), install a smooth "Combat" trigger, and hone the action. I obtained a set of Rosewood, "Bear Hug" stocks from Deacon Deason too and have kept this homage to Skeeter ever since.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 94hokie:
That is a fine looking specimen of a 27, and those grips look great!

Thank you!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Man that's a beauty, nice score! You certainly have a knack for finding the good stuff! My collection is still missing a large frame Smith...maybe someday Smile.

Thank you, man - indeed, get in on some N-frame action! Smile

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cigardad:
He made a number for me several years ago. 25-5

That is a great-looking sixgun there!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
I like the way you roll. Skeeter was also a big fan of the .44 Special S&W and as a result of his following (count me among them), S&W released a limited number of 4" and 6.5" Model 24-3 revolvers in the mid-1980's, of which I purchased one of the later. I had Master Gunsmith James Hoag trim the barrel down to 5" (Skeeter's favorite length), install a smooth "Combat" trigger, and hone the action. I obtained a set of Rosewood, "Bear Hug" stocks from Deacon Deason too and have kept this homage to Skeeter ever since.

Thank you! I’m confident in saying that’s the finest Model 24 I’ve seen to-date. The touches you had applied are simply perfect.

Methinks if I keep going this N-frame route, a .44 Special may have to happen in there somewhere! Smile

Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience, also with a Model 27. This one a 27-2. While I prefer my N-frames calibers to start with a "4" it was really the stocks I was after on this one. I paid about the going rate for a 27-2 which means the stocks were almost free.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
If you want to share, what's the going rate for a nice 27-3 like that? I bought a really nice example of a 27-3 within the past 2 years or so and I think I gave $550 for it at the local shop.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pizza Bob:
I had a similar experience, also with a Model 27. This one a 27-2. While I prefer my N-frames calibers to start with a "4" it was really the stocks I was after on this one. I paid about the going rate for a 27-2 which means the stocks were almost free.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I see why you wanted that one - awesome gun AND stocks, wow!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
If you want to share, what's the going rate for a nice 27-3 like that? I bought a really nice example of a 27-3 within the past 2 years or so and I think I gave $550 for it at the local shop.

Well, my caveat is that I’m no pro re: the market on these, and I honestly didn’t do a ton of comparative research when I nabbed this one. It sold for right around $900. Heck, maybe the seller darn well knew EXACTLY what grips he had, after all haha…Smile

Based on what I’d paid in prior private sales for 27-2s and how things looked auction site-wise at the time, I felt good about the price. I’ve felt even better seeing how well this one shoots haha…

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Model 27s are easy-shooting guns. And lovely to look at.

Mine is a pre-Model 27, and the grips are not the best for shooting, to be honest, but they are original. When I shoot it, I usually remove them, and use a pair of rubber Pachmayr Grippers I have.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I love looking at pictures of fine revolvers and you guys sure have some nice ones!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Model 27s are easy-shooting guns. And lovely to look at.

Mine is a pre-Model 27, and the grips are not the best for shooting, to be honest, but they are original. When I shoot it, I usually remove them, and use a pair of rubber Pachmayr Grippers I have.

Oh, that is nice! The holster suits the gun, too!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I love looking at pictures of fine revolvers and you guys sure have some nice ones!

Thank you and I thoroughly “blame” some of the revolver-heads on this fine Forum for sending me down this path to begin with! Smile

posted Hide Post
TheFrontRange, where did you find them?

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
@Marlin Fan, the stocks came with the gun, all from Gunbroker.