SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Went old school - S&W 39
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Went old school - S&W 39 Login/Join 
posted
Latest addition is a NIB S&W 39-2.
Had a 59 way, way back (70's) which is long gone.
Recently been wanting a 39, but they're not cheap for a decent one.
Finally found this one at a good price and jumped on it.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 369 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have experience with the 39-2 but, in this day & age, I don't think I could walk away from one looking like that.

I'm 56, so what is now considered "old school" for many is just plain beautiful and nostalgic in my eyes.

Well done!
-Bill

Former US Army, Sgt., 82nd Abn. Div. Paratrooper,
Infantryman, (81mm Mortars) Certified Armorer

Love God, Country, & Family

Posts: 89 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had several of them, 39-2s, and never had one that didn't work right, every time.

I think it was Ayoob who said, some 20 or so years ago, in discussing the 39s, that S&W finally got it right with the 39-2.

IMO, you've got a great firearm and surely a keeper.

Bob

Posts: 1583 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I've always liked those.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Nice catch, I'm on the hunt for one myself.
Enjoy it!

Posts: 3551 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always liked the looks of those model 39s with the wood S&W logo grips.

The only Smith & Wesson semi-autos that I own are 3rd generation.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Congrats! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! The S&W 39 is old school, single-stack goodness. Attached is my attempt at a retro photograph of a 39-2 I foolishly sold. I recently acquired another, though the replacement is missing the box and papers. Enjoy!

Posts: 3509 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I had one of those... the sights and heavy trigger convinced me to trade it off. It was a very comfortable pistol to hold and the weight certainly dampened recoil.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice find. I have 2 and one is like yours, never fired with original box and manual. They are really hard to come by anymore,in NIB condition.

Posts: 12743 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You got yourself a nice find in that one. I have owned a nickel 39-2 since the mid 1970's and just glad I never thought too hard on giving it up.
Good luck and happy shooting.

Posts: 16 | Location: northwestern PA | Registered: January 31, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
My first handgun, back in the mid-70's. The Illinois State Police had just gone to them, endorsement enough for me. Jam-o-matic. Traded up to a BHP. I now know I had to be limp-wristing. I had no idea then, everyone I knew had wheel guns, no one had a semi-auto. I was the picture of ignorance. The poor 39 never had a chance with me using it, sad.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8367 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice.
I picked up a 39-2 last summer. Old school and it fits my hands. Obtained a nice leather holster and will put it through testing for carry purposes.

PC

Posts: 1342 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I had one for several years before finally selling it off because it was primarily a safe queen.

I loved the feel of it in my hands though. Beautiful pistols. Congrats, OP!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I've always liked the 39-2; I have two of them.
My daughter learned to shoot with mine when she was twelve (she's 38 now).

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Sweetness.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I have always fancied the model 39. I remember reading an article back in the 70's, when I believe the Illinois State Police adopted the 39. It was pretty edgy at that time.

What a fine looking handgun.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36845 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoy and shoot it.Carried a 3906 as a duty pistol for 6 months accurate and slim. I do miss that weapon. VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a beauty !
I have a 5906 in excellent shape.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked this one up. They are starting to gain collector status over here, but every now and then you can get lucky.

Good price, some times they go into the mid 400

Looks to be in excellent condition.

Complete with original packaging.

Pretty jazzed about it. I also have a model 52, but trying to find a steady supply of mid range .38 wad-cutters can be a pain. The 39 will be much easier to feed.

G57

Posts: 78 | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post