SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Leather or Kydex for Carry?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leather or Kydex for Carry? Login/Join 
posted
Just bought a P365 and deciding on a holster. Looking for ideas and opinions. IWB Thanks

Posts: 1 | Registered: April 25, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
All Kydex holsters here for IWB/OWB carry, thinner than leather but a tad harder on the weapons finish - which I don't mind.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
They both have pros and cons. I slightly prefer the Kydex because it can be made thinner than leather while still remaining rigid for reholstering. Leather is not only thicker to start with, but needs a double layer at the top for reinforcement. A con of Kydex is that it is nearly as hard as the gun itself, which, combined with being molded to the gun's shape or contours, tends to prod and poke at you. The part that goes against your body should be flattened and flared out a little bit, but no one seems to do that.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Why not a little of both?

The Comp-tac Infidel Ultramax is a kydex holster mounted to a leather shield that sits against the body which solves the issue of the rigid kydex on the skin. It’s by far the best and most comfortable IWB holster I’ve ever owned. I carry my P365 in one and carried a G19 in one for several years before that.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I prefer kydex more and more due to the snapless retention. For exposed plain clothes duty carry I still like a leather snap pancake, but for a concealed piece, kydex is king for me.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15598 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer leather holsters for carry as they are more comfortable(to me) for IWB carry. But for OWB carry, kydex is fine.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 369 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Why not a little of both?

The Comp-tac Infidel Ultramax is a kydex holster mounted to a leather shield that sits against the body which solves the issue of the rigid kydex on the skin. It’s by far the best and most comfortable IWB holster I’ve ever owned. I carry my P365 in one and carried a G19 in one for several years before that.

I second the Comp Tac. I have 4 Comp Tacs and they are very high quality. I have two of the older Minotaur Gladiators (no longer made). The leather is very comfortable against the body and the kydex makes for a very snug fit. I like the way the retention is on the trigger guard. You'd be happy with the Infidel.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone has their preferences but I prefer a mix of both. Kydex body but leather lined. My go to is Garret Industries holsters www.giholsters.com

I prefer the silent thunder GT for IWB worn at the 4:00 position. He has appendix holsters also, since that is what is popular at the moment.

Posts: 472 | Location: Montgomery County, PA | Registered: December 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I like Crossbreed IWB Super Tuck. Leather against your skin, pistol in Kydex.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Garrett Industries, Kydex lined with leather.

Posts: 39 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USAFA71:
I prefer leather holsters for carry as they are more comfortable(to me) for IWB carry. But for OWB carry, kydex is fine.

For me its the opposite. I prefer kydex for IWB because its thinner and leather for OWB because leather is just nicer and if its OWB I'm going to be wearing something more substantial to conceal it anyway.

What it boils down to is personal preference, you are going to have to try both and see what works for you.

Posts: 551 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I prefer an all kydex minimalist design for IWB for a smaller pistol. Kydex means thin with excellent retention and full cover of the trigger guard. Also very easy for me to remove the holster from my belt with the pistol in the holster which is ideal for if I go into a place where I can not take my pistol with me and I leave my pistol in the holster when I take it off and put into the safe. A well designed kydex holster will also minimize wear on the pistol slide and frame.

This is my PPS in such a holster but I also have one for my Glock 19 and it works perfect for it also. The high mounted belt clip also keeps my pistol close to my side for excellent concealment and comfort.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like leather for looks, comfort, and fit. I don't use it, any more.

Kydex is repeatable; it doesn't change dimensions, wear appreciably, soak up sweat, discolor, and the weapon clicks into it the same way every time. It provides a better hold on the pistol, and is adjustable. Buy another same-model kydex holster from the same manufactuer and it works just the same.

Kydex is less expensive, protects the pistol better, is less expensive and easier to replace if damaged or a change occurs (adding a light, etc), and properly designed, comfortable. In most cases, you'll find the model you want ready to go; no need to wait weeks or months for it to be custom cut and made.

I still like leather a lot more. I just don't use it much.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
I prefer an all kydex minimalist design for IWB for a smaller pistol...

This is my PPS in such a holster...

Make/model of that holster please... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8919 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
I prefer an all kydex minimalist design for IWB for a smaller pistol...

This is my PPS in such a holster...

Make/model of that holster please... Wink

That looks like an Ozark Holster Company that I have. Hope not as he seems to be out of business. It was a nice holster but rides too low for my big hands to grab a full grip on my 2022.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2111 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
I use both leather and kydex to CC.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
The Kusiak Signature is a nice IWB option for the P365.

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My preference is for leather. While Kydex is thinner it is always stiff. I agree that Kydex is a much easier reholster however reholstering is not so much an issue in the self defense realm. Yes, in shooting sports Kydex all the way.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Personally I can’t stand being poked and rubbed by kydex. I much prefer quality leather.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I like leather IWB and kydex OWB. The exception to this is the bbq holster. It must be OWB and leather.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SgtGold,

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post