SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Springfield EMP - your thoughts?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield EMP - your thoughts? Login/Join 
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
FYI, the EMP4 uses a proprietary 60 degree dovetail, odd in the 1911 platform even for their other 1911 pistols.

Specifically, from my research I think the oem front sight is .300x60x.180". It's a PITA to find any of the popular sight manufacturers that have sights of those dimensions. Supposedly HEINIE had an EMP4 night sight set, but their website does not reflect that.

Many manufacturers use a 65 degree dovetail which I think is the NOVAK dimension. A gunsmith can obviously machine the dovetail to fit the more common sight, but SPRINGFIELD-ARMORY has been known to void the factory warranty by altering the slide.

I've checked 10-8, HEINIE, DAWSON, NOVAK, HARRISON and KENSIGHT. If anyone has a lead of where to find night sights of those dimensions, it would help a lot of EMP4 owners who dislike the oem fiber optic front sight.

SPRINGFIELD-ARMORY says the EMP sights will work, but I suspect they modify them as research shows the EMP dovetail is possibly a 65 degree. They will not sell the EMP sights outright, you have to send the slide to them. The want almost $200 for that.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up an EMP4. Got three of the flat bottom mags. Got rid of the ambi safety. Replaced it with an EGW mid rise.

Fantastic gun. Does not like reloads (really tight chamber) accurate and fits my hand as well as any gun I’ve ever shot. (I have dainty little girl hands).

Not sure what it does for me though. I usually carry a P239 in 357 SIG appendix. I’m not comfortable carrying a cocked pistol that way and, I shoot the P239 just as well.

It’s not on the auction block yet. It’s a fantastic gun. Just not sure what niche it fills for me.

Posts: 882 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I had seriously considered getting one. Looking at them at my LGS my pusher said their shop had some issues with them. He also said that some of the propeitary parts could be problematic to obtain. His suggestion was a Colt Defender.

I had some reservations since I had a Kimber 3" 1911 before which was problematic. The Defender has been problem free for me and I carry it n a regular basis. OWB with an untucked shirt and it's one of the easiest guns to carry in my rotation. It's also standard 1911 parts and magazines.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11766 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The back sight says Trijicon, that's it. Looks like Heine. I really want to say I got them from Dawson, but I cannot swear to it. They are also dimmer than I'd like, but I guess they are 6 years old...

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post