SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Springfield EMP - your thoughts?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield EMP - your thoughts? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
I’m considering a Springfield EMP for a new CCW. (I already have a G43 and a P365).

Does anyone have any experience? What’re your thoughts? The good, the bad?

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an EMP4. It’s nearly perfect. Trigger has a bit of creep I wish it didn’t but that is fixable. Great gun imo. I am always close to buying their EMP4 with the bobtail.

Posts: 7497 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have an EMP4 as well, in 9mm. It's excellent. Mine has at least 2500-3000 rounds through it and it has been extremely reliable. My only quibble is I wish the 9mm came with a steel frame like the .40, but the alloy hasn't been a problem.

I had the option of the regular EMP4 and the carry contour model when I bought mine..the standard model felt better in the hand so I ended up taking that one home. I haven't regretted it. The biggest problem is that it's my 11 y/o son's favorite handgun, so I have to fight him for range time with it.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I've had 3 Springfield EMPs. One worked 100%, one didn't - numerous failures to feed, and the third one I sold unfired.

I kind of liked the gun, but found that the length of the grip actually stuck out further than that of my Glock 19 for concealed carry.

Every now and then when I see one in a gun store I think "maybe..." but then my wife has told me "No more EMPs, you can buy any gun you want except another one of those."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwilli
posted Hide Post
I have the EMP 3in in 40 and the EMP 4 in in 9mm. The 3 inch all steel in 40 is probably one of the finest handguns I own or have owned; Accurate, Very high quality look, feel and performance---never an issue with it.

But the EMP 4 CCC----well, lets just say the jury is still out on it. My first outing with it wasn't a good one, I couldn't get it to shoot a whole mag without a FTF or FTE. In its defense, I was shooting reloads and discovered that this pistol has a very tight chamber and is going to be picky----I have since picked up some plus p ammo and rechecked some of my loads in the case gauge and plan to shoot that stuff this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Bob

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams

Posts: 126 | Location: Southern Missouri | Registered: November 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I bought a used, early production EMP. Had some failures, changed recoil spring. Ran 100% after that. Definitely liked heavier bullets AFA accuracy. Great little pistol.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a 3" EMP in 9mm second hand from a guy who got it almost unshot (and he barely shot it). What sold me was it came with 8 magazines. It is a superb gun. I switched out the standard night sights to Dawson that were bigger/fatter for my 50+ YO eyes and removed the ambidextrous thumb safety since I'm right handed and did not like the look and esthetics of the ambi.

Shoots incredibly POA and never had a failure. And I've probably put 1000 rounds through it so far. I had 2 of the magazines modified by a guy who makes them flush-fit 8-rounders (other 6 are 9-rounders).

Downside: it is a bit of a PITA to disassemble and particularly reassemble. Nothing practice does not fix, but that's the one ding. It is my CCW and has been for 4-5 years now.

6 months after I bought it they came out with the carry contour 4" 9mm. I would have probably gotten that if it was an option. But then again, I have a DW Guardian in 45 ACP for that niche. It is excellent.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I bought an EMP4 in 9mm just before the EMP4 CCC came out. The slim wood grips didn't work well for me so it received standard bushings and G10 grips. Now it's a great carry pistol, easy to shoot and very accurate.

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY uses a different dovetail than anyone else which you need to keep in mind if you want to change sights (I don't like the fiber optic front sight).

You can now purchase the EMP4 CCC flat base 9 rd magazines from various sources. I like them better than the 10 rd thick polymer base magazines that come standard with the EMP4.

The EMP4 uses different dimension magazines to give a smaller grip circumference. Is the EMP the same?

If I recall correctly, the EMP in .40s&w had some early issues but I cannot recall specifics.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned my EMP3 since they first came out (Ser. # 4XX)and I would not take for it. I CCW it for a while, and take it to the range often.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
I bought an EMP4 Lightweight in 2016. I have used it as an EDC on and off since then. I think I have to have the latest high-cap polymer pistol that comes out, but always migrate back to the EMP4.

It is thin, easy to carry either IWB or OWB (I do both), althouth it is at the high end of my weight limit. It carries 10 rounds in the magazine, is accurate and I shoot it well. I have no malfunctions with the EMP.

If you like the 1911 form, you would probably be very happy with the pistol.

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I've had two EMP3s.

The first one, I foolishly sold when times were a little tough. The second one, I bought a year or so later and still carry from time to time. Both wouldn't initially feed HP ammo consistently. After cleaning up/polishing the chamber and feed ramp, they ran fine.

The EMPs are sweet little carry pistols, but if you're getting an EMP3, ( especially an older one that's unfired, ) be prepared to have a bit of work done to it. I don't have any experience with the EMP4s, but of the ones we've sold at the LGS, we haven't heard any complaints with them.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I have the original EMP in 9 and .40, both have functioned flawlessly. Got the .40 about 10 years ago and the 9 about 7 years ago. I don't carry the .40 much due to weight but I like to carry the 9 IWB.

Posts: 13113 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwilli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rwilli:
I have the EMP 3in in 40 and the EMP 4 in in 9mm. The 3 inch all steel in 40 is probably one of the finest handguns I own or have owned; Accurate, Very high quality look, feel and performance---never an issue with it.

But the EMP 4 CCC----well, lets just say the jury is still out on it. My first outing with it wasn't a good one, I couldn't get it to shoot a whole mag without a FTF or FTE. In its defense, I was shooting reloads and discovered that this pistol has a very tight chamber and is going to be picky----I have since picked up some plus p ammo and rechecked some of my loads in the case gauge and plan to shoot that stuff this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Bob

To follow up: I took the the EMP 4 9mm CCC, back out for another shoot and this time I left the range very, very happy. It seems that when shooting factory ammo or reloads that has been meticulously case gauged, the EMP 4 runs like a champ---160 rounds, HPs, Ball and reloads and zero failures. So now I am back in the 4-5 star opinion range. The EMP 4 shot very well, was extremely accurate and was just very comfortable to hold and shoot.

It's only down side is actually a plus side. I generally like guns that will feed anything you can give it, but this EMP, along with two other match barrel guns I have, are not as forgiving as Sig and Glock are when it comes to shooting reloads. I believe this is due to a tighter chamber than non-match barrels. This down side probably increases accuracy when shooting good ammo.

If the EMP 4 performs as well with the next two hundred rounds, I will gladly trust it as an EDC gun.

Bob

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams

Posts: 126 | Location: Southern Missouri | Registered: November 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Lots of information on the EMP (3", 4", standard and CCC) platform at this link...

https://forums.1911forum.com/s...hp?t=257261&page=222

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I sold mine to a forum member here. I purchase this early model after they first came out. It did have some early issues feeding different brand ammo until I sent it back to the custom shop where the did some work on the feed ramp. It returned and ran pretty good, especially with Fiocchi ammo which I measured the factory OAL and found it was a smidge shorter in over all lengths than other factory ammo. So I started making my own rounds up with the same OAL specs and they all ran perfect. It was a great compact 1911 for CCW. I had the Custom Shop machine frt/rear strap treatments, and flush cut the slide stop notch. A nice pistol.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the EMP4 as well. Love it , great shooter , easy to shoot well, feels great in your hand.

Posts: 80 | Location: NJ | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's mine that I got in 2014.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Batty67, who's night sights on your gun? Heinie?
Thx

Posts: 159 | Registered: December 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trader:
Thx

I
I'll have to look, its been 5-6 years...

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trader:
Thx

I don't mean to jump on anyones post however, when I had my Kobra Carry customized those rear sights look suspiciously like the 10-8's I had installed on it. Hope that can help.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post