SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Smith and Wesson Gunsmith
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith and Wesson Gunsmith Login/Join 
posted
Gentlemen.

Who do we like old S&W smiths these days?

I've got a model 10D. It desevea some TLC.

Appreciate recommendations.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on what sort of tlc… Just a repair, a complete overhaul, including an action tune?
Heard many good things about Andy Horvath, also reported quick turn around. (Quick being relative) Mike Heffron is another, with again a relatively fast turn around. Many of the good ones have long waits just to ship.
There are others that are worthy so depending on what you want/need it might be worth calling a few.

Posts: 85 | Location: NEPA | Registered: February 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
If only TLC & cleaning maybe watch a video on ‘tapping off’ the side-plate then cylinder disassembly? You could spray clean the internals then lube without taking the guts apart.

Just an idea.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I would also consider the S&W performance center. They do great work and will usually turn around the work very quickly.

Posts: 2956 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Cylinder & Slide does good work, but it will take months as they're usually very busy.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Years ago sent one to S&W and they made my slightly worn LEO revolver tight and did a great re-bluing. Price was reasonable.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a local gent who's been doing Smith actions for 30yrs.
Just nice actions and clean guns. Site sucks, but it has his info:

www.thegunsmith.com

Posts: 383 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:

Who do we like old S&W smiths these days?
You have mail.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 'go to' gunsmith for revolvers is Frank Glenn, of Glenn Custom/Accuracy Unlimited, in Phoenix AZ.

His price list has an option for Revolver Services, as well as PPC Revoler Package.

He specifically identifies things like S&W duty action job vs a S&W match action job, or S&W square butt to round butt conversion.

Plus a LOT of other revolver work.

He has done outstanding work on 2 of my Colt revolvers as well as rebarreling my father-in-laws old Rossi [I supplied proper barrel- I wanted it longer for my type of use, but wanted to be able to pass this down to my kids so they could have grandpa's pistol.]

I've also been really impressed with his delivery times.

Just another option, who has treated me well 3 different times over 5 years.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post