SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Cracked Holster - Kydex (Crossbreed Style Leather/Kydex)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cracked Holster - Kydex (Crossbreed Style Leather/Kydex) Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Just noticed this morning that the kydex is cracked on my OHC holster (P320C).
Cracked on the part perpendicular to the leather backing at the top of the slide.

Retention doesn't seem to be affected, but guess I need to start shopping for a new IWB, since OHC is no more.

My dad & both in-laws are happy with their Vedders, so may look into that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few https://blackpointtactical.com/ holster for my sigs and they are great. I love the SIG Exclusive Appendix holster.

Posts: 24 | Registered: January 04, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Kydex can crack with use. Typically seen on bends/folds, especially when those area are flexed or stressed, like the top of kydex belt clips.

That's one reason why most holster manufacturers have gotten away from formed kydex clips and gone with injection molded clips instead.

Cracking of the body itself is less common, but does happen.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yep, it's the tips of the corners on the slide side.

EDC for about 5 years, normal wear/tear I suppose.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a C&G kydex holster crack under the trigger guard after several years of work use. Contacted them, sent pics, and got a new one in the mail!!

C&G holsters . Com

Posts: 276 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I had an Alien Gear holster shell crack, completely my fault, they sent a new one for free.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My wife has been using a FIST ultra-thin kydex IWB holster with her Glock 26 since she made the switch to the 26 back in Dec 2006. She has cracked two of them. FIST took care of her, 50% discount on the replacements. She has been averaging about 7-8 years with each one.

In the past she always had a spare one, now she has 5 spare ones. Good for the next 35 years or so at this point.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got my latest G Code holster. I had a couple Incogs and got 2 new Phenom Stealths. 20% off for holidays. Still expensive. Still perhaps the finest holster (kydex style) I have ever owned. These have a claw which I thought was tactical nonsense until I tried one on another maker. Now I’m a believer.

G Code costs too much but their stuff is top top shelf.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I had an Alien Gear holster shell crack, completely my fault, they sent a new one for free.

Same story with me and a Crossbreed. I believe it cracked because belt & pants were too tight.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5479 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looking at it more, I think it's a combination of position & twist force applied.

I carry around 4:00, which causes the grip to press into the surface of whatever I'm sitting in, this puts pressure on the outside front corner of the kydex & likely led to the cracks starting.

Unfortunately, OHC is no more, so Mfg support isn't an option.

Retention doesn't seem to be affected as is, so it'll suffice until a replacement can be sourced.

posted Hide Post
I had a Blade Tech holster crack. I sent them a pic and they sent me a new holster. Great customer service.

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at Bravo Concealment Holsters. Great products and service.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile in Oregon: I've been using the exact same Milt Sparks leather holster for 23 years, pretty much every day.

Are you sure you don't want to switch to leather?

Milt Sparks or Kramer. Both awesome.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10921 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not opposed to a full-leather option.
Will be looking into all the suggestions made here. Things should be mighty quiet in the office the next couple weeks.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

Same story with me and a Crossbreed. I believe it cracked because belt & pants were too tight.

Mine happened because I was carrying a P220 compact in a p220 full size holster. The barrel is 1/2" shorter in the compact and I came down hard on concrete and landed on the very bottom of the holster which cracked because there was nothing there to support the kydex.

Interestingly enough, I've found that the full size P220 holster will hold several different guns with good retention.

A P220 full size, a P220 Carry, a P220 Compact, a P239 and a P365.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
Why not try a quality leather holster such as Milt Sparks, Greg Kramer, Ken Null, or Mitch Rosen?

I have some holsters and belts from these makers that are 20 years old and still work great.

Posts: 419 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Meanwhile in Oregon: I've been using the exact same Milt Sparks leather holster for 23 years, pretty much every day.

Are you sure you don't want to switch to leather?

Milt Sparks or Kramer. Both awesome.

Sorry radioman, I think you covered this.

Posts: 419 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post