SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 frame
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 frame Login/Join 
posted
Hi folks, I bought a used P320 at a lgs and which I thought was a compact frame. Now I'm embarrassed to admit I'm not sure. It came with a 17 round mag and I believe the compact is 15. Can you guys advise on how to find the frame size that I have? When disassembled I see a 1 inside on the polymer, two clock like symbols pointing to different numbers and a M on the lower back strap which I assume to mean medium. Any help is very appreciated.

Posts: 2 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: November 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
17 round mags could come with a full size gun or an X-carry model. The X-carry is compact length, but a full-size grip like a Glock 45.

Overall length on a compact or X-carry length slide will be a bit under 7.5".

Overall length on a full size slide will be at least 8".

Is the grip module rounder in the grip or more square in shape with an extended beavertail? If the latter, it's an X-grip of some sort.

If you got an X-carry of some sort, you can just swap the grip module out for a compact for a few bucks and have the compact you were looking for from the jump.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If a 17 round magazine fits flush with the bottom of the grip module, it's a Carry grip, not a Compact.

Posts: 32400 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If the 17 round magazine is a flush fit with the grip module (not actually the “frame” of the P320), then the grip module is either full size or the “Carry.” The 17 round mag will fit and lock into the Compact module, but there will be a gap at the bottom.

The number of slots in the accessory rail on the dust cover forward of the trigger guard varies among the grip modules. The full size has six five slots; the Carry has three; and the Compact has four (yes, the Compact grip module has more slots than the Carry module for some reason).

The last time I checked, the standard (not X-) Carry was no longer cataloged by SIG, but the grip modules are available, both factory and after market. It uses the full size magazine but its slide is the same size as the Compact’s.

Edited to correct the slot count in the full size grip module. Being able to count to six or even five shouldn't be that hard. Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The number of slots in the accessory rail on the dust cover forward of the trigger guard varies among the grip modules. The full size has six slots; the Carry has three; and the Compact has four (yes, the Compact grip module has more slots than the Carry module for some reason).

The number of rail slots is the easiest way to tell them apart at a glance

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
This might help.

Posts: 3365 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the very helpful replies. It turns out I bought a "carry" frame. I have ordered a Compact frame from Wilson Combat (on sale) and am a happy guy. Thanks again everyone and merry Christmas.

Posts: 2 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: November 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post