SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Friend has a Browning BDM - trying to find kydex holster
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Friend has a Browning BDM - trying to find kydex holster Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
I am working on talking a friend into taking an OpSpec Training class. He owns a Browning BDM. I wasn't familiar with it; apparently it's a fine pistol but didn't catch on and was discontinued.
Does anyone recommend a source for a kydex holster for the BDM?
I have a source for extra mags if he needs them.

Posts: 18087 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
The BDM was discontinued YEARS before kydex became a thing in the gun world. Your best bet is to find a local holster maker who can use your buddies gun as a mold. I highly doubt many holster makers will have a blue gun to use for an mold.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice pistol, I know a guy that owns one and loves it. I ogled the BDM in the gun rags back in the day.

I just checked Safariland for you and all they had was leather. I tried Desantis and bladetech, but I had an issue with their make/model search. DSG dosen't show Kydex for a BDM. Galco didn't have the BDM in their holster finder. If anyone would have a BDM mold it would be the older holster companies, but I didn't have any luck. I''d suggest trying bladetech they used to have the widest select of kydex/plastic holsters back in the day.

I suspect Dusty's suggestion about having a custom one built might be your best bet.

Posts: 4592 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Call around to local gun shops and see if they do custom molded Kydex holsters. A few of my local shops will do them and you just need to bring your gun in for fitting.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4523 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree. I know four Kydex benders who would do a one-off with the gun in hand.

Posts: 3290 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for suggesting this because I'm a big believer in the saying that any firearm will do if you will do. And I commend you on encouraging your friend to pursue training. But I can't help but wonder if the path of lesser resistance might be another firearm.

Since your friend needs to purchase a holster, magazine carrier and maybe even some additional magazines, it might be easier to help your friend find a used 3rd Gen Glock 17 to take to the training class.

I'm just thinking that when you add everything together you might find that the cost of acquiring a used 3rd Gen Glock 17 and related accessories might not be that much more than trying to do the same for a Browning BDM.

I understand that not everyone likes Glocks and not everyone wants to or can afford to acquire additional firearms and I certainly do respect the choices and situations of those people. but I just thought I would put the idea out there as an alternative.

You could also suggest your friend consider a Sig P226 or Sig P229 in 9mm. I believe that they would have a similar action to the Browning BDM. But then that would really change the cost equation.

Does your friend have a preference to the DA/SA or DAO mode? If it is DA/SA, a Sig P226 or P229 might be the way to go. If it is DAO, a Glock might be a better alternative.

I do understand that when you start to add up all the equipment costs it really can start to put a damper on someone's motivation to take training.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your advice, I have taken it to heart.
I have already offered--and my friend will likely use--my own P229, for which I have a holster and extra mags (although just 10-round).

Posts: 18087 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Thank you all for your advice, I have taken it to heart.
I have already offered--and my friend will likely use--my own P229, for which I have a holster and extra mags (although just 10-round).

That's a really nice thing you are doing for your friend.

Posts: 4592 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's a really nice thing you are doing for your friend.

Any of you guys would do the same.
SigForum is special.

I've had offers of extra mags, full capacity mags, and use of Jerry Jones' P320c.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Personally I'd try to see if a leather yaqui slide for a similar sized gun would work.

That and I'd never put a "rare", unusual or gun that I cared about cosmetically in an unlined kydex holster. Learned that the painful way, ruined the finish on a fairly expensive 1911 holstering, drawing and reholstering ONE time. Eek Frown

Posts: 21115 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Is it not the same size as a 226?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7962 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Is it not the same size as a 226?

IIRC it's similar in size, but different contours.