Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first Sig Login/Join 
posted
Signed up for sigforum years ago and have at various times considered purchasing a sig, but finally got around to it yesterday.

When the Legions came out it seemed gimmicky to me, but ultimately I ended up buying one, a 226 SAO.

Great sights, and trigger seems a step above most other semi auto pistols I have shot. Only thing I dont care for is the safety, it seems very large and in-the-way to me.

I cleaned the gun last night and will put a few rounds through it this afternoon. Im planning to use this as my range gun. I plan to avoid ever using the safety at all ("don't load the gun til you're ready to shoot").

I assume it will shoot straight and reliably. Hopefully uneventful first shots today. Any tips for me?

Now I am a "real" forum member. Dont remember when I signed up, but I feel like i was lurking here for years before I created an account.

Posts: 28 | Registered: September 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the Legion. I have one and love it. It doesn't get fired much due to it not being a carry weapon for me, but I love it. If you're a 1911 fan, the safety can be compared to Sig taking a piece of chewing gum and forming it around the hole. After a few mags, it grew on me and I learned to love it. I like how much meat is on it when I do left hand drills.

My only tip would be don't buy MecGar 18 rounders and load them to capacity. If you do, you will burn through 500 rounds of ammo in nothing flat Big Grin but in all seriousness, mine eats everything I throw at it and loves the MecGar 18 rounders.

BTW, there is no said proof you own one, until you post up some pictures Wink

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Great gun! A P226 Legion is on my short list of next guns to get. Enjoy!

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Congratulations pedzola and welcome to the Sig club. Now what about the pics? Wink

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
TTIWWOP!!! Pics or it didn't happen.

Also, beware. They tend to breed. Like potato chips, you can't have only one.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Forgot this is an old school board, had to go find my own image host, hope this works. Nice looking gun!

Just put my first hundred down range, 124gr aguila and 115gr imi. No issues at all.

Trigger and followup were excellent. Sights are great in overcast daylight. Slide stop difficult to manipulate with the huge stupid safety in the way. Its also a little closer than im used to.

I shot steel not paper so i didnt measure groups. Tried left hand, right hand, both hands, different distances maybe 15-40 yards. Dont have a perfect sense for point of aim just yet - will need to get some paper targets out. Felt like it may shoot just a tiny bit lower than I am used to. But generally I was hitting the steel as well as with any other gun. Nice light and crisp trigger helped me ping plates one-handed almost every shot.

The fast reset and followup were also excellent. I have never been a great double tap shooter but tried a couple and was able to ping plates 2x very quick. Pretty happy with that. Has a pretty natural pointing feel for me. Grips felt good, they werent so aggressive as to be uncomfortable. I did notice the high bore axis vs a cz or glock but it didnt seem to affect my shooting.

Overall very happy with the new legion SAO!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drshame:
If you can, check to see if any of the 226 Caliber X-Change Kits works on the Legend. My 226 started life as a .22 Classic, and adding thr 9MM and .357 Sig Kits has made it the most versatile pistol I have. Enjoy!

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
If you can, check to see if any of the 226 Caliber X-Change Kits works on the Legend. My 226 started life as a .22 Classic, and adding the 9MM and .357 Sig Kits makes it the most versatile pistol I have. Enjoy!

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the box with the gun was a coupon for a discounted .22lr kit. I will think about it.

Just ordered 3 of the 18rd mec gar mags. Thanks for the tip! Will see if i can post a more appropriately sized picture next time, maybe with a target with a nice group on it.

Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great new Sig.

I recently bought a used P220 Legion and it is very, very nice.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Nice gun. Congrats!

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, you'll enjoy the Legion.

Caliber exchange kits definitely work on the Legion with no problem. Here's my P226 SAO with an exchange kit that has the Romeo red dot.

Also, you registered in September 2006, it's listed at the bottom of your posts.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1312 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2006 is a long time ago indeed. I was pretty much 100% glock shooter back then I think. I also found my most recent thread was a 2017 post about deciding on a 226 stainless elite and looking for a good deal on one. Last year i ended up getting a 9mm Colt 1911 instead of the Sig. It didnt work out so well and I sold it not long after.

I picked the Legion SAO over the elite this time due to the better trigger and sights. I like the weight and big rosewood grips of the elite. But I think I made the right choice. Hopefully this one is a keeper. Maybe do a little more shooting tomorrow.

I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
It’s single action. You should have your thumb resting on top of it.

Enjoy,
Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
May have been mentioned above... but there is a reason the safety is so large... here is a hint:

"Cocked and Locked"

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
My first SIG was a P226 in .40 S&W. It was great, but way to heavy for daily carry and I didn't really care for the .40 caliber. I much prefer the P228/P229/M11-A1 sized package.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Serious question for those who shoot this sao, do you shoot with your thumb on the safety? When I took it out for the first time I did not. That doesnt seem to be my natural grip.

I understand the purpose of the safety and thus why it is the way it is, but I won't carry this one so I won't use the safety. Range gun. If it keeps growing on me maybe I will need to get a sa/da version for other uses.

posted Hide Post
First Sig I was attracted to was p228. I dont know that I've ever seen one in the wild. It was my favorite gun in counterstrike. lol. When sig came out with the m11 (for commercial sales) I considered buying one. Maybe I still should.

Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand your problem with the safety. I suppose you don’t have to use the safety if you will never carry the gun, and will only load it when at the line to shoot. But, and I think it’s a big BUT, you’re not practicing safe gun handling. In your photo, the gun is cocked. Cocked, with the safety not engaged, is not a condition that the gun should be in unless it is in your hands at the firing line. It’s just bad form, and I’m sure is contrary to the manufacturer’s operating instructions.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
honestly tagged it.

you chamber a round and the hammer is cocked and the safety should be on until you have or at the very least are in the process of acquiring the target. Safety down, then finger on trigger.
Correct me if I'm wrong because I am not single action guy... but I have stood behind one for hours (actually days) as a safety coach watching the draw, flip safety off, aim / finger on trigger, fire,(repeat as needed), gun down to ready and safety on... tactical reload, after action drills, holster.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post