SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Walther PP .22lr questions.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther PP .22lr questions. Login/Join 
posted
I have a beautiful Walther PP in .22LR that I picked up last year. A really beautiful gun. My dad learned on an actual Walther PPK in .22 many moons ago and when I saw this one come up for sale, I HAD to get it. It's an actual Walther PP, not one of these Umarex pot metal obscenities marketed by Walther now a days. Date code is 1971. The finish is just amazing. I have had varying success with different .22 ammo with this pistol. The Norma TAC-22 was flawless, but the CCI mini mag is hit or miss. If I do have problems, it's with the first round in the magazine. According to the seller he got this unfired and I have no reason to disbelieve him. I have left the magazine loaded with all ten rounds in it to see if that helps.
Does anyone have any recommendation for good reliable ammo for one of these pistols? Is there a good source for spare parts for these pistols? I'm not really looking for aftermarket crap, but original OEM recoil springs and magazines. Unfortunately, it came with just the box, the pistol and one magazine. I'd like to get at least another one.

Thanks!

Untitled by C G, on Flickr

Posts: 377 | Registered: November 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ordinarily, I'd recommend 40gr CCI Mini-Mags, but it sounds like you've had trouble with CCI.

I've also had good luck with Aguila copper-washed 40gr stuff. You also might try copper Federal or maybe even Remington.

To be perfectly honest, I don't trust Walther PP-anything. They're great looking and feeling pistols, but I just haven't had the best luck with them. Good luck with yours.

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with the PP, PPK/S, PPK series of Walther pistols in all calibers.
As for reliability, you'll just have to experiment with different brands and go with the one that does best. It will be different from pistol to pistol, so what works well in one, may not in the other.

There is (maybe "used to be" at this point) a place called Earl's Repair Service in Massachusetts or Virginia that carried spare parts for Walther pistols. That may be a source of spare parts. An original spare mag will be a little costly but they can be found. Plan on spending at least $100 for one.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Earl's Repair Service
Earl's is still in business. Good people.

Earl's Repair Service

Der Walther PP Shtuffen

Their website isn't fancy but they're very helpful.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try d downloading to 9 rounds per mag. I have heard they really weren’t designed to hold ten even though ten will fit, and that may solve the problem.

Anecdotal the beretta Jaguar series ( regarded as a very reliable gun) mags will hold ten, but really only designed to be reliable with 8

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have a pre-war .22PP and it was recommended to me to use standard velocity ammo.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Try d downloading to 9 rounds per mag.

That is what it takes for my Colt SM ACE. It is not real reliable at best but 10 in the clip is sure to fail.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have a PPK/s in 22 and have been lucky. Mine shoot about anything reliably.

I've have 3 of these German pistols, wish I had keep the previous 2, but never had the PP versersion.

German pistols have skyrocketed in price.

Just find one brand of ammo that works, and stick with that.

Good luck with finding an original mag. I found an aftermarket Tha works well.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link to Earls. That place seems to have most if not everything Walther related!

I can see why my dad enjoyed it so much.

posted Hide Post
I have a PP 22LR from the 1960’s. I am sorry, but I don’t recall what it likes best. But I also don’t recall having many reliability problems at all. When I got it in the 80’s, I understood it to be an 8 shot, so that’s what I used. As others have suggested, try that first. That may be the issue.
(I have a German TPH that definitely likes hot 22’s much much better than standard velocity, but don’t recall that one way or the other with the PP.)
Do try to get it working. When my eyes were good and I could see the tiny sights - 40 years ago —, it was as accurate as my High Standard Trophy for rimfire metallic silhouette. The accuracy is just astounding.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a German Walther PP 22. The CCI mini mag 40 grain works flawlessly.

Posts: 27 | Location: Pa | Registered: October 27, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is from 1975 and likes mini-mags. Good tip on downloading the mags, I will try that. Mags are out there but expect to pay $100 or more. You have to see pictures to make sure they are the right mags, the ones for the Umarex guns look different.

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
I have a PP 22LR from the 1960’s. I am sorry, but I don’t recall what it likes best. But I also don’t recall having many reliability problems at all. When I got it in the 80’s, I understood it to be an 8 shot, so that’s what I used. As others have suggested, try that first. That may be the issue.
(I have a German TPH that definitely likes hot 22’s much much better than standard velocity, but don’t recall that one way or the other with the PP.)
Do try to get it working. When my eyes were good and I could see the tiny sights - 40 years ago —, it was as accurate as my High Standard Trophy for rimfire metallic silhouette. The accuracy is just astounding.

Totally agree. Plinking tin cans, the ones I had never missed. I had many offers to buy or trade for my Walther 22s,

I practiced with them a lot, and often carried them for self defense.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took the Walther to the range again today. It was almost 100% with the CCI mini mags and the Norma ammo I had stashed away. I noted that the only problem I would have is when the magazine was filled to 10 rounds would about 1 in 10 times give me trouble charging the pistol then the slide was closed. If I downloaded it to 8 or 9 rounds it would run 100%. As this is not a defensive pistol by any stretch of the imagination, downloading to 8 or 9 rounds for now will become the norm. At least for now.

As stated earlier, this little pistol is very, very accurate. I can get a fist sized group at 21 feet, which is amazing for me.

Love this pistol and will definitely be a keeper!

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
You may consider them "aftermarket crap," but Wolff Gunsprings has a spring kit for these guns. Most would affirm that Wolff springs are a very fine product.

https://www.gunsprings.com/WAL...LR/cID1/mID70/dID303

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet you have a Walther PP manufactured between 1952 and 1986 (S/N below 700,001). During this period Walther licensed the manufacture of A-L-L Model PP pistols to Manurhin in France.

Yeah, your slide is Ulm roll marked; but Walther did just enough "final finnishing" to allow these pistols to be considered "German made".

Maybe you'll re-consider adding NON-OEM (but excellent quality) Wolff springs if you've got one of these less than 100% Walther made pistols!

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By crap aftermarket parts, I meant things like pro-mag magazines for example. I was unaware that any reputable companies made any parts for the Walther PP . I know Magpul and Mec-Gar make great aftermarket magazines and I hear great things about Wolf springs. I didn’t know that made springs for the Walther PP in .22 however. I’ll have to take a look. I know that these pistols were actually made in France and final work was done in Germany.

posted Hide Post
Love mine, and so far it’s been awesome with whatever cheap.22 I’ve put through….

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a BEAUTIFUL pistol!!!

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
stylophiles – My Interarms .380 PPK/S has an LCI – the only LCI that I actually like. I can see it but the BG can’t. And, without shifting my grip, I can move my thumb up to the LCI to verify that there’s a round in the chamber. So, I’m curious to know if the .22LR version has that LCI.

OTOH, The DA trigger of my .380 is 17 pounds. I hope your .22LR model is better in that regard.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8857 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post