SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Looking for advice for a SP5: ordered a B&T telescoping "brace"...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for advice for a SP5: ordered a B&T telescoping "brace"... Login/Join 
posted
...that comes without the actual brace portion from B&T Parts.

The end of their telescoping armature shows a short cylindrical end piece that vaguely looks like its diameter might be sized about the same as an AR receiver extension/buffer tube. Does anyone know if a Gearhead Works Tailhook will fit securely on this armature end cap? That device would be my preferred 'brace' to use.

Aside from the Tailhook units, for a fallback option I'm not sure if anyone else sells just a shallow "brace" portion (the part that goes around the shooter's forearm) by itself, similar to the depth of a Tailhook.

SB Tactical sells what they call a mini brace, but its cylindrical part that sleeves over a regular pistol buffer tube would still be cantilevering beyond the edge of this nub of a B&T end cap. That doesn't seem like a very stable setup.

Any advice would be appreciated.

-MG

Posts: 1932 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Tailhook works perfectly with the B&T extension.
The hook is somewhat hard to locate. Most Tailhooks are being offered in package deals

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for info. I went straight to the source and just order the Mod 1 from the manufacturer. Should be here about the same time B&T gets the armature to me. The moon definitely is in synchronicity with my universe. Smile

Seems right now many retailers and distributors are playing it cautious and not stocking their braces in general, at least according to GHW. This is likely the reason why it seems like the Tailhook is in short supply. Anyways, GHW has them in stock so they took care of my need.

PSA: so last week I placed an order for the shop with Daniel Defense. Our rep there had informed me that they had restarted AR pistol manufacturing once again, based upon "insider info" from a reliable source who used to work under contract for ATF and now does work for DD and still has very reliable sources within the agency. The word is that the implementation of the pistol brace points system is again delayed to at least the first of next year if not the middle of next year. Given that tidbit and the fact that we've past the "middle of August 2022" and it's been nothing but silence from ATF on the matter, DD decided to restart AR pistol production and I went ahead and ordered a few for our shop.

FWIW, I thought that I'd pass this along to the forum since DD was kind enough to pass it to me.

-MG

Posts: 1932 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Thanks for info. I went straight to the source and just order the Mod 1 from the manufacturer. Should be here about the same time B&T gets the armature to me. The moon definitely is in synchronicity with my universe. Smile

Seems right now many retailers and distributors are playing it cautious and not stocking their braces in general, at least according to GHW. This is likely the reason why it seems like the Tailhook is in short supply. Anyways, GHW has them in stock so they took care of my need.

PSA: so last week I placed an order for the shop with Daniel Defense. Our rep there had informed me that they had restarted AR pistol manufacturing once again, based upon "insider info" from a reliable source who used to work under contract for ATF and now does work for DD and still has very reliable sources within the agency. The word is that the implementation of the pistol brace points system is again delayed to at least the first of next year if not the middle of next year. Given that tidbit and the fact that we've past the "middle of August 2022" and it's been nothing but silence from ATF on the matter, DD decided to restart AR pistol production and I went ahead and ordered a few for our shop.

FWIW, I thought that I'd pass this along to the forum since DD was kind enough to pass it to me.

Make sure you get the MOD1C. It is 30% smaller than the MOD1 and works a lot better. I have several I bought when MidwayUSA fire-saled all their brace stuff.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been very pleased with my Mod 1 and would not want a smaller unit. I am impressed with the quality of the Tailhook brace, and 100% pleased.

Thank you for passing along the ATF info!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I need a Mod1C for my B&T brace, been unavailable since my brace came in.

The smaller size looks better on a PDW in my opinion.

HK Ag

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally got the brace in and on the gun:

Only other mod so far is a Midwest Industries' rail that's been lying in my parts drawer for the past couple of years, started when I mistakenly bought it online when I was looking for an optic mount for my much shorter SP5K-PDW. Still deciding on an optic...

-MG

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Nice set up!!! Midwest Industries makes some fine accessories. I recently SBR'd my PSA AKV and (after my BATFE stamp arrived) I replaced the OEM brace with an MI steel folding stock. It's extremely stable and allows for a very good check weld.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
That makes a very attractive set up. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Finally got the brace in and on the gun:

Only other mod so far is a Midwest Industries' rail that's been lying in my parts drawer for the past couple of years, started when I mistakenly bought it online when I was looking for an optic mount for my much shorter SP5K-PDW. Still deciding on an optic...

Awesome photo. That is a really nice set up. I have an SP5 I am interested in doing the same thing for.

Was looking at SB Tactical braces but postings suggest this is a better option?

Pardon stupid questions. Assume my iQ is 60 when you or others respond.
So what items do you order for your set up?
- B&T Telescopic Brace for HK SP5 BT-200601?
- Tailhook Mod 1 or Mod 1C?
- Anything else?

How does the telescoping brace attach to the pistol?

Responses and input very much appreciated.
Scott

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:

- Anything else?

Scott

The BT-200601 is the correct brace unit for the SP5. As for which GHW Tailhook to go with to complete the total brace assembly, that's personal preference IMHO.

I use the standard Mod 1 on both my SP5K-PDW and SP5, and on a couple of AR pistol builds as well and genuinely like its overall size in handling and operation. However I'm now finally getting around to looking at doing the brace configuration for my somewhat neglected APC9K. With that setup I might try the smaller Mod 1C if for nothing else but curiosity's sake. But so far I have nothing but high praise for the regular Mod 1. As a plus, its taller profile actually allows it to work better as an actual brace, unfolded open to the fight with the one 'leg' more or less horizontal and at the correct elevation to cradle my shooting arm's forearm as I'm shooting from the hip (i.e., not shouldering).

-MG

posted Hide Post
quote:

It replaces the endcap of the HK. One or two pins depending on MP/SP5 model. Easy to add and easy to remove.
I myself prefer the Mod 1 in this setup.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:

- Anything else?

Scott

The BT-200601 is the correct brace unit for the SP5. As for which GHW Tailhook to go with to complete the total brace assembly, that's personal preference IMHO.

I use the standard Mod 1 on both my SP5K-PDW and SP5, and on a couple of AR pistol builds as well and genuinely like its overall size in handling and operation. However I'm now finally getting around to looking at doing the brace configuration for my somewhat neglected APC9K. With that setup I might try the smaller Mod 1C if for nothing else but curiosity's sake. But so far I have nothing but high praise for the regular Mod 1. As a plus, its taller profile actually allows it to work better as an actual brace, unfolded open to the fight with the one 'leg' more or less horizontal and at the correct elevation to cradle my shooting arm's forearm as I'm shooting from the hip (i.e., not shouldering).

Thank you for your response and for starting this thread.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:

It replaces the endcap of the HK. One or two pins depending on MP/SP5 model. Easy to add and easy to remove.
I myself prefer the Mod 1 in this setup.

Thank you.
Just what I needed to know.