SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Two New Sigs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two New Sigs Login/Join 
posted
I love the Elite Series Sigs because I like the SRT and the beavertail. I recently bought a P229 ASE, P229 Platinum and a couple of P226 ASEs. There was a P229 ASE on Gunbroker this week and the darn thing went for $2175....OMG!!! I actually had bid up to $1600 (crazy I know) but I'm elated that I did NOT win the auction because a member on another forum let me know where to find some NIB at a fixed price of $949.99 (plus 8.25% state sales tax). I've searched online a lot but these never came up for sale for some reason. Even though I had to pay sales tax, I didn't have any shipping/FFL transfer/credit card fees. They also have a deal of $50 off if you apply for and use their credit card. I did that and will just pay it off in full when the fill comes in. $50 dollars is $50 dollars!!!

The Scheels in The Colony, TX is the only store in Texas but happens to be less than 5 miles from me. Their website said the P229 ASE was not available but I called them anyway to see if they could have one shipped in from one of their other stores (quite a few other stores have them in stock). Lo and behold the rep told me they got a bunch in! I was at their store within 30 minutes and walked out with not one but TWO P229 ASEs.

So now I have three P229 ASEs and a P229 Platinum Elite. My Platinum and one of the ASEs are safe queens right now and I plan on shooting one P229 ASE suppressed with a CGS/ZEV Kraken and one non-suppressed (with defensive ammo). I am using a SIG OEM LH threaded barrel.

My P229 buying is done but I'd still like to get a third P226, a Platinum or Emperor Scorpion.

I'm afraid I've just gone crazy...this SIG sickness is uncontrollable!!

Note: It was my understanding the the ASE models weren't made anymore but both my P226 ASE were Jul 2020 dates and the two new P229 ASE are Apr 2020 dates. I guess Sig made a special run of them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: QB Too,

Posts: 991 | Location: Carrollton, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your latest find!

I did find it odd that you say you don't need any more P229s Confused

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Congrats on your latest find!

I did find it odd that you say you don't need any more P229s Confused

Well, what was I thinking!!! Of course I could use a P229 Emperor Scorpion...LOL.

Posts: 991 | Location: Carrollton, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only problem buying a lot of Sig pistols in a short period of time, is that you may find yourself eating a lot of Ramen noodles for a while. Nice collection.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
The only problem buying a lot of Sig pistols in a short period of time, is that you may find yourself eating a lot of Ramen noodles for a while. Nice collection.

Good thing I like Ramen noodles...LOL!

posted Hide Post
Some quick pictures. All will be getting new Torx grip screws this week.

My first purchases:
P226 ASE NIB
P229 ASE LNIB
P229 Platinum Elite NOS

My next purchase, another P226 ASE NIB

My latest purchase, two additional P229 ASE NIB

Interesting that the two P229 ASEs I just bought, both dated Apr 2020 have frames that are a slightly different shades, one is lighter than the other. The first P229 ASE has the lighter frame. Both P226s dated Jul 2020 have darker frames. I'm not sure why the pistols produced in July and April 2020 should have any different in frame shades but it's just an observation.

It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Congrats on finding those. Enjoy!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I have a 226 Stainless Elite I purchased in 2007 with the short extractor. I'd probably pick up a 229 but I just can't warm up to the looks of that large extractor.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finding one P229 ASE at that price is a great find in today's market. But getting two? Wow - go buy a lottery ticket before the magic wears off!
Congrats!

Posts: 466 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, I can't believe Scheels has them. The store near me still has quite a few. Makes me want to go buy more to tuck away for my old age but "whoops" I'm already in my "old age" so I have to restrain myself Big Grin The first one I found was LNIB but preowned and I paid more for it than the NIB ones (but not much more).

posted Hide Post
What's the story behind the short versus long extractor?

posted Hide Post
What does the ASE stand for?

A shot not taken is a shot missed

Posts: 411 | Registered: April 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22940:
What does the ASE stand for?

I believe it stands for Alloy Steel/Stainless Elite (or something like that...the SSE model is Stainless Steel Elite).

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I like the SRT but am not sure about the beaver tail (you know there are multiple off color jokes available) ... I just purchased a P226 Elite from a fellow member and have only had one time at the range with it.... it shot well... but the trigger seems a little stiff to me compared to my other Sigs... can't quite figure out the reason for that tail sticking out the back...I guess if you have big ham hock hands....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just like the looks of the beavertail, not sure it serves any other purpose for me. I did just buy my first "non-tail" Sig, a P226 Extreme. I'll be able to shoot it later this week and compare it to my P226 Elite ASE.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: QB Too,

posted Hide Post
ASE: (A)lloy (aluminum) frame, natural finished (S)tainless steel slide, (E)lite configuration

The Elite beavertail isn't my favorite-looking add-on to a classic P-SIG pistol, particularly on the relatively short P229. But it does aid a bit in indexing the gun in my hand. But unless you have Incredible Hulk-sized mitts for hands, slide bite--what the beavertail concept of course was originally intended to address--will never be an issue with these P-SIGs and their relatively low hand holds.

I have a couple of P220 SSEs and while those both are enjoyable to shoot and personal favorites amongst my 45AUTOs, the elongated beavertails themselves I could do without. It only took me a half-dozen years or so to come to this conclusion, but in my defense I can be a bit dense at times. Wink

-MG

Posts: 2001 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post