SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I am now a dog owner - NAA Pug.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am now a dog owner - NAA Pug. Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
Well, I dont know, the full hammer makes it a level 2 retention holster.

That's a Number 2 retention holster.......

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34125 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Just a guess, but it may be due to a thinner than normal case (or overly sensitive primer compound) that slams against the frame on recoil and discharges. Cant think of anything else that would cause a multiple discharge.

I wonder if the ammo in question is prone to case blowouts. The rounds in an NAA mini are very close together, and there is very little clearance between the rims and the frame. Is it possible that a case blowing out could generate enough of a shock to cause the kind of detonation against the frame that you're describing?

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Likely, what's happening is this- notice in the photo how there is no recoil shield on these revolvers. The case heads of the four rounds which are not lined up with the barrel are not fully supported at the rear. Each of these four rounds is supported only partially by the rear face of the cylinder window. The threshold the case heads cross, from supported to unsupported, is a 90 degree angle. If the case heads of these rimfire rounds are much softer than they should be, one or more of those rounds in the cylinder might be detonated by a crease in the case head caused at the support threshold, due to the recoil during firing of the pistol.

Posts: 107640 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paras explanation certainly makes sense. The ammo warning actually dates back to 2004 with a more recent update. So the condition is a well known problem and easily avoided.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16101 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a .22LR. and really like it, looking for a Magnum probably a Black Widow.

Posts: 75 | Registered: June 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
All think talk is making me want to get the NAA out in more common rotation.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update: I took my new dog out for exercise today. I rooted around in my old ammo and came up with a box of CCI Maxi Mag. Which oddly was not marked for what grain of bullet was loaded. They were HPs so I would guess 40 grainers.
Range report:
Function was 100%. Accuracy was better than expected. I was able to hold about a 4 inch group at about 3 yards. Which I consider max "get off me" range. The big dot sights work well. Which, like some SAAs you dont get a full sight picture until you cock the hammer. I prepared for unpleasant recoil with the as issued rubber grip and expected my middle finger to get rapped by the back of the trigger housing. Didnt happen and I found recoil to pretty tolerable overall. The Pug barks loud and its ported barrel adds to the noise. Several other shooters commented on that fact. Reloading was at a glacial pace. Its 5 shots and "feet dont fail me now"! And... No chain fire or multiple discharges took place. Back home, I cleaned the Pug with a little CLP, 3 Q-Tips and a paper towel.
Its a fun little thing and I am glad I got it. I will be ordering a .22LR model first chance I get!

Posts: 16101 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I prepared for unpleasant recoil with the as issued rubber grip and expected my middle finger to get rapped by the back of the trigger housing. Didnt happen and I found recoil to pretty tolerable overall. The Pug barks loud and its ported barrel adds to the noise.
In that case, either your hold is substantially different than mine, or the porting is highly effective in your pistol. Or, perhaps the Gold Dot- which I use in my NAAs exclusively- is hotter than the Maxi-Mag. Since the Gold Dot load is optimized for very short barrels and the Maxi-Mag is optimized for rifle-length barrels, it may be that the Gold Dot is generating more energy via the more efficient burn rate.
Porting is more effective with high-pressure ammunition, and I think the .22 Magnum qualifies as such.

Posts: 107640 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gold Dots would be my preferred carry ammo, but I cant find it locally. I will hunt for it online.
The hunts over. It is out of stock everywhere. I did find a box in stock from an outfit I have never used before:
Southern Munitions.
Order placed and fingers crossed.

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post

I really like this holster for my Pug. I usually carry it in the pocket but there an option for other methods.

Posts: 6016 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post