SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Cutting Wilson Compact grip
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting Wilson Compact grip Login/Join 
posted
I purchased a WC CarryII that uses 17 round mags. I have lots of new 15 round Sig mags and would like to use them,
has anyone cut the WC grips to fit a 15 round mag, if so how much did you cut it.
WC grip has a smooth band running around the bottom of the grip and it looks like that would be enough to remove to use the 15's. how much did you remove?

Posts: 113 | Registered: December 01, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you buy extensions for your 15 round magazines so they fit your gun? Id buy more 17 round magazines before I started cutting the pistol grip. If you insist on cutting it shouldn't be to hard to take a tape measure and figure out how much to cut off. I would start by cutting the bare minimum first so if you make a mistake you don't cut off too much to fast.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Why not sell the Carry II grip and buy a Compact grip?

Seems a much easier route the cutting down a grip just because you have stash of Compact mags.

Posts: 12543 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The issue is I have 6 brand new 15 round mags from when I purchased 3-320Xcompacts I hate not using those mags. I have 3 21 round mags I use but it's to heavy to have them loaded all the time they are for the range. Anyway I hate having 6 new mags laying around without using them. Anyway I'm going to cut one mag little by little until I get the mags to fit

Posts: 113 | Registered: December 01, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wilson makes a grip module for those magazines. I have some. They work great.

It's not as simple as slicing up your grip module, though you could do that.

The Wilson module is flared at the bottom of the mag well, somewhat like the Gock Gen 5. The Wilson mags cut for the 15 round magazine aren't flush along hte bottom, and extend the backstrap to fit flush with the bottom of the mag baseplate.

If you use the tungsten rods, you'll cut into the channel.

Those mags are worth forty five bucks each, perhaps a bit less if you price them to sell. You can pick up 17 round mags for 22 bucks each (ACT-Mag/Armscor), meaning you'd have more magazines or spare change left over.

If you're running a short slide (originally sub compact, the slide fits flush with the Wilson compact grip module; if you're running a compact/carry slide, it extends a bit, but the dust cover and grip module overlap.

Personally, I wouldn't cut the module you have. Save it for use, sell it, whatever. A new module isn't that expensive, and it will be better suited to your need.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a mind to build a setup with an FCU, all three slide sizes, all of the Wilson grip sizes, in a case with the foam cut out to fit everything.

One "gun", any size for the application.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjc:
The issue is I have 6 brand new 15 round mags from when I purchased 3-320Xcompacts I hate not using those mags. I have 3 21 round mags I use but it's to heavy to have them loaded all the time they are for the range. Anyway I hate having 6 new mags laying around without using them. Anyway I'm going to cut one mag little by little until I get the mags to fit

Just buy another gun for the 15 round magazines and problem is solved. In the AWB days I came across a good deal on a few Glock hicap magazines even though I didn't own a Glock at the time so I bought a Glock to go with the magazines.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjc:
.... Anyway I'm going to cut one mag little by little until I get the mags to fit

I have a hunch you'll end up with a destroyed magazine. Your much better off selling the magazines you have - even at a bit of a loss - and buy new ones.

Cutting down magazines or grip modules just makes little sense to me.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The WC Compact grip is what you want. I would just swap grip modules, and sell or save the Carry grip.

I cut down a plastic P320 compact to make a sub-compact. Fairly easy to do, took about half an hour of trial and fitting. But it looked a bit hacked. For you, just buy the Compact module and you are done.

-c1steve

Posts: 4061 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post