SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    help me replce my Kahr CM9...maybe..advice needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

help me replce my Kahr CM9...maybe..advice needed Login/Join 
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted
Hey, I am thinking of going polymer for lighter weight and looking for something that is exactly the same or smaller than my CM9. Mine fits in my blue jean pocket well and I like it..accurate, reliable BUT heavy..

capacity is not so much an issue , no revolvers', as it must be flat enough to appear as a wallet/cell phone in my back pocket..

any suggestions that are smaller and lighter ?

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
If you are staying with 9mm, I doubt there's a lot of other options out there that is lighter in weight. Hellcat, Glock 43, SIG P365 are all a bit heavier.

If you are downgrading to .380, Kahr P380 is much lighter and flatter, as would I suspect many other .380 subcompacts.

I have both the PM9 and P380, and the P380 is the preferred when I am wearing summer clothes here in Southern California with Boraii trigger cover in the front pocket.

P380 with 7 rounds in the gun plus a reload of 6 rounds weighs the same as S&W M637 with just the 5 rounds of 125 grain Nyclads.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Your CM9 is already polymer and is among the lightest and smallest 9mms around. Confused

You might try an original Ruger LCP (not the new doublestack) if you want the smallest and lightest "real caliber" pocket gun. If you consider a .380 a viable caliber.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Is your Kahr perhaps a MK9, instead of a CM9? The MK9 is the metal framed pocket 9mm from Kahr.

Because as noted, the CM9 is already polymer and lightweight. The only other semiauto 9mm that's lighter and smaller than the CM9 is the Rohrbaugh R9, which is no longer in production.

Otherwise, to go any lighter and smaller than the CM9, you're going to have to compromise in caliber (dropping down to .32/.380) or capacity (like a 2 shot derringer).

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Try a Kahr PM9. I've had one for almost 20 years as a BUG.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Smaller and lighter? No. The 365 is better though, it replaced my PM9 that I pocket carried for 13 years

The P380 came to mind as said above

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

Is this a joke? Confused

The PM9 and CM9 are identical in size & weight. The CM9 is a budget-conscious version of the PM9.

As previously noted by others, I can't think of any 9mm smaller than a CM9. The only ones I know of that are lighter are made by Kel-Tec (PF-9, P-11), and I don't know if they're still in production. They're also larger than the CM9, and to put nicely, less refined.

quote:
Originally posted by golddot:
...it must be flat enough to appear as a wallet/cell phone in my back pocket..

The only way you'll get something approaching that level of thinness is if you go to a smaller caliber. You should check out something along the lines of a Ruger LCP II, LCP Max, S&W Bodyguard 380, or Kahr P380

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
thanks fellas, my CM9 is a budget version of the PM 9 and has a polymer frame and steel slide..I can not find a local gun shop that has a lot to compare it to.

I thought that walther made a slim SS 9mm but did not know if it was smaller, probably flatter tho

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I think you need to go to a .380 if you are worried about a CM9 being heavy in your pocket.

I went from a .380 TO a CM9 and like it, I carry in front right pants pocket but yes there are days when I wished it was a .380 again

I'd recommend a Kahr CW380 if you like the CM9, here is the size comparison

The CW380/P380 is thinner, smaller and lighter and really does well in a pocket:

Posts: 33770 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Competent When Sober
Picture of Mad Max
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I think you need to go to a .380 if you are worried about a CM9 being heavy in your pocket.

I went from a .380 TO a CM9 and like it, I carry in front right pants pocket but yes there are days when I wished it was a .380 again

I'd recommend a Kahr CW380 if you like the CM9, here is the size comparison

The CW380/P380 is thinner, smaller and lighter and really does well in a pocket:

PASig speaks the truth.
If you have a CW9, the PM9 will be practically the same. The MK9 is heavy as a brick.

The P380 is tiny and is my favorite pocket carry.

Oliver Wendell Holmes - "The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

Is this a joke? Confused

The PM9 and CM9 are identical in size & weight. The CM9 is a budget-conscious version of the PM9.

As previously noted by others, I can't think of any 9mm smaller than a CM9. The only ones I know of that are lighter are made by Kel-Tec (PF-9, P-11), and I don't know if they're still in production. They're also larger than the CM9, and to put nicely, less refined.

quote:
Originally posted by golddot:
...it must be flat enough to appear as a wallet/cell phone in my back pocket..

The only way you'll get something approaching that level of thinness is if you go to a smaller caliber. You should check out something along the lines of a Ruger LCP II, LCP Max, S&W Bodyguard 380, or Kahr P380

No, not a joke. I was thinking of the CW9, which I also have, and confused it with the CM9. Nothing more.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

To put it more accurately, more shitty. Big Grin My PF-9 broke after 50 rounds (trigger bar) and again at 680 rounds (slide cracked). I'm done with those yahoos.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
You might try an original Ruger LCP (not the new doublestack) if you want the smallest and lightest "real caliber" pocket gun. If you consider a .380 a viable caliber.

This ^^^^^

When I drop my Ruger LCP-CT (Second Generation, not to be confused with the LCP II) into my pocket in a DeSantis Pocket-Tuk you wouldn't know it was there. It's footprint is so unobtrusive I can pretty much forget it's even there.

As for .380 ACP: I regard it as barely adequate. Such being the case: Shot placement is quite critical. Luckily, it shoots surprisingly well for me:

Some Mozambique drills:

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I really like my PM9, would be one of the last guns I would part with. For your conundrum, I was thinking of suggesting a Kahr P380 or CW380 as well. The P380 is on my short list.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
My vote is for the Kahr P380 as well. Same trigger, manual of arms as what you are used to. You could also go with the Keltek version, the P3AT. I’ve had one of those for years. It was my “last ditch” option on several deployments.

I had a P380 and loved it. For some reason I got rid of it (don’t remember why) but I will buy another.

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Smaller and lighter would mean moving to a .380 or smaller.

My recommendation would be

Ruger LCP
Ruger LCP II (I prefer it over the LCP)
Kahr P380

Lastly I know it's not what you asked for but the Sig P365 is a far superior platform to you Kahr CM9. Prior to the Sig I carried a Kahr PM9 or MK9 for years and frankly the Sig P365 is in a different league. It is amazing how well it shoots for a small handgun.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post