SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Aftermarket Glock slides?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Aftermarket Glock slides? Login/Join 
Member
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
Does anyone have any input on who makes a quality and reliable aftermarket slide for a Gen 3 Glock 19? I’m looking for one to put an RMR on. I’ve heard good and bad about different makes. I had a Gabe Suarez one once but it never was 100% reliable. Any suggestions or ones I should stay away from?



 
Posts: 1744 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Decided to build a fancy Glock clone a few years ago. Why would I want a $500 Glock when I can get a similar pistol for $1500? Wink

I had good luck with the ZEV dragonfly slide.

You may not need a box fluted barrel, brass grip reduction, or even changing the grip angle, but it works great with a Trijicon RMR.

Let us know what you decide.




 
Posts: 8129 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I’ve never used one, but you might want to check Taran Tactical.
 
Posts: 393 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Grabbed a PSA threaded 19 RMR milled slide when they were on sale to try and haven't had any issues using it on my gen3 32 frame. I did change the tmh/ejector over to the 9mm version.



Not minority enough!
 
Posts: 7543 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The Brownells slides have worked well for me.
 
Posts: 134 | Location: NEPA | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xmod:
I’ve never used one, but you might want to check Taran Tactical.


My G34 TTI slide is done pretty well and I have not had any issues. They have the slides from time to time and offer a few styles but they usually go quick.
 
Posts: 6047 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I just did exactly what you’re talking about.
I bought it on GunBroker for $145, fits Glock 19 Gen 1, 2 & 3 I’m not sure who makes it but it has a small roll mark on the left side.



I ended up putting it on my gen 2 Glock 23 instead of my 19 along with a 9mm threaded barrel that I had on the 19 and put the 19 back to stock. I’ve only about 300 rounds through it but it’s been flawless since I put it together.

My 9mm 23 & original 19



Now I’m thinking about upgrading my gen2 26 the same way, rmr & slide with a threaded barrel.


If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink
 
Posts: 5585 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
posted Hide Post
I’m glad that slide worked out for you, Kimberkid. Smile


______________________________________________
I believe in the 25th amendment.
 
Posts: 14828 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I’m glad that slide worked out for you, Kimberkid. Smile

Me too! Actually it’s becoming my favorite pistol next to my Nelson Custom 1911-22. Shooting a pistol with a red-dot seems like cheating but it feels great to shoot decent groups again!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimberkid,


If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink
 
Posts: 5585 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
@kimberkid
> Now I’m thinking about upgrading my gen2 26

I know you can put a G19-compatible slide
on g26/27/33 (up to gen 4) with a dust cover.
Are you looking for particular 'g26'-compatible slides (I could not find many options there)
or G19-compatible?
 
Posts: 74 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Midway has Swenson slides on sale for $120.


End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
 
Posts: 14032 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
@yoopersigs thank you, they even have a g26 slide (but without optics cut) still nice!
 
Posts: 74 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by platform:
@kimberkid
> Now I’m thinking about upgrading my gen2 26

I know you can put a G19-compatible slide
on g26/27/33 (up to gen 4) with a dust cover.
Are you looking for particular 'g26'-compatible slides (I could not find many options there)
or G19-compatible?

I was only thinking of an rmr cut slide as I’ve ended up with an extra Holosun 407C with solar backup. I’d also replace the barrel for one that’s threaded.
My conundrum is do I keep it or sell it and get a 43? I like that the 19 & 26 can share mags, but the 43 is lighter and thinner, so easier to carry. I really don’t want to have both.


If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink
 
Posts: 5585 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Zaffiri Precision has a good selection to choose from.
 
Posts: 85 | Registered: November 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
There's definitely some real DOGS in the aftermarket slide world.

Adams Arms, the outfit responsible for making fairly cheap (arguably in more ways than just monetary) piston-driven ARs, tried their hand at making or at least selling Glock slides. Absolute trash as witnessed by a customer of ours. That customer had tried pushing on a Trijicon tall rear sight onto his Adams slide only to have his MGW sight pusher actually RIP the rear section of one of the rail slots completely away from the rest of the slide. When he brought in the slide--which had been purchased from someplace online--to show us, the exposed bare steel to me looked very much like MIM product and not the forged bar stock as originally claimed on Adam's website. That item has apparently now been removed/discontinued from their site, and according to the customer their CS has been extremely flakey about offering support or compensation for that very broken and unusable slide that never had a single round fired through it (in hindsight that failure was a GOOD thing in terms of the physical safety of the customer).

So buyer beware. Choose your poison VERY carefully.


-MG
 
Posts: 1318 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
My conundrum is do I keep it or sell it and get a 43? I like that the 19 & 26 can share mags, but the 43 is lighter and thinner, so easier to carry. I really don’t want to have both.

Ah, ok -- in that case I would go with a 43.
If you naturally do not regret getting rid of things, than going with 43 should make you happier.

Otherwise, you will end up with things -- that you do not carry as often as you should, which then defeats the purpose.
 
Posts: 74 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of magholderusa
posted Hide Post
Good thread, i've considered doing the same thing!


Ricky Taggart
Magholder.com
Utah, USA
 
Posts: 138 | Location: Cedar Hills, UT, USA | Registered: September 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I just got a Zev Citadel for my Gen 5 19. I'm very happy with it. Made from 17-4 stainless steel.

 
Posts: 7200 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
There's definitely some real DOGS in the aftermarket slide world.

Adams Arms, the outfit responsible for making fairly cheap (arguably in more ways than just monetary) piston-driven ARs, tried their hand at making or at least selling Glock slides. Absolute trash as witnessed by a customer of ours. That customer had tried pushing on a Trijicon tall rear sight onto his Adams slide only to have his MGW sight pusher actually RIP the rear section of one of the rail slots completely away from the rest of the slide.


I don't think this is necessarily fair towards the maker of this slide. I had a MGW sight pusher crack the rail on a factory Gen 4 Glock slide. If you don't tighten down the slide with retard strength you run the risk of cracking the rail. Its a bad design for a sight pusher. I've gone back to hammer and punch.
 
Posts: 7200 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
There's definitely some real DOGS in the aftermarket slide world.

Adams Arms, the outfit responsible for making fairly cheap (arguably in more ways than just monetary) piston-driven ARs, tried their hand at making or at least selling Glock slides. Absolute trash as witnessed by a customer of ours. That customer had tried pushing on a Trijicon tall rear sight onto his Adams slide only to have his MGW sight pusher actually RIP the rear section of one of the rail slots completely away from the rest of the slide.


I don't think this is necessarily fair towards the maker of this slide. I had a MGW sight pusher crack the rail on a factory Gen 4 Glock slide. If you don't tighten down the slide with retard strength you run the risk of cracking the rail. Its a bad design for a sight pusher. I've gone back to hammer and punch.

That's good to know about sight pushers and what possible problems they may cause if not used correctly. Fortunately I've yet to encounter such a failure with any of the slides I've done the sight replacements on. Granted I've probably only done around 200 or so over the years, but each one was with a MGW pusher (either my own or my employer's).

However that also doesn't necessarily absolve Adams Arms either. It seems rather interesting and peculiar (in a rather convenient manner) that the particular model of G19 slide that failed is no longer mentioned on their website and most importantly supported in any way, at least according to our customer. Also as I mentioned previously when I looked at the damaged slide, the exposed steel along the break appeared to have the look of MIM where the exposed metal along the break. It showed a rather "crumbly" and particle-like fracture instead of anything sharp and/or a clean shearing of the metal. Its look and material color very much reminded me of a cracked MIM Glock MOS factory plate I once had, Same kind of powdery-like fracture, same kind of gray to the metal.


-MG
 
Posts: 1318 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Aftermarket Glock slides?

© SIGforum 2022