SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help Needed with P938. Problem Solved, See Fourth Post In This Thread.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Needed with P938. Problem Solved, See Fourth Post In This Thread. Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Problem: there is a round chambered.

I am not able to cycle the slide to clear it.

The slide moves back maybe 1/4" or so, then acts as if it has hit a brick wall.

The pistol was working fine last time I took it to the range, but that was a couple months ago.

Suggestions?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: V-Tail,

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30743 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
The safety is off? I've been able to get slide/frame apart holding the slide tight and tapping the back of the frame forward- same situation on a Govt model. All this while pointing the gun in a safe direction on the range.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This sounds scary, but, it has worked for me. Is this a factory round or reload?

What I have done is place the small part of the slide between the front sight and barrel down on a work bench edge make sure the barrel is clear of the work bench. Get trigger finger away from trigger and grip the gun pushing down on the bench. You have to push really hard.That should clear the round.

This is essentially what he said. ^^^^^^^^^^^

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
AZSigs -- Safety on, safety off, no difference. The P238 and P938 are a bit different from the 1911, in that the P238 / P938 will allow the slide to be cycled manually with the safety on, if the hammer is cocked. Trigger is still locked, but slide can be cycled. I tried it both ways, safety on and off,problem persisted.
Problem is now solved and cause identified.

As with many finely tuned devices, brute force solves a lot of problems. Wink

The pistol and magazine had been residing in a multi-pistol case, sort of a Pelican knock-off. Five slots for pistols and a bunch of slots for magazines. When I took the pistol out of the case and inserted the magazine, I did not look closely enough; if I had, I would have noticed some "crumbs" of foam adhering to the magazine and the top (first out) round. This schmutz caused the round, once loaded, to get sort of stuck in the chamber, the extractor was not able to dislodge it easily, so the slide did not want to come back.

It did release when a lot of force was applied.

The pistol and magazine are now awaiting a thorough cleaning, as are the other magazines that were in that case.

Everything is now under control, nothing to see here folks.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30743 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The reason I asked about a reload is sometimes if you don't tAke the flare out of a round or if your OAL is too long the bullet gets jammed in the chamber. Check OAL and diameter of case mouth

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for you!

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strong:

The reason I asked about a reload is sometimes if you don't tAke the flare out of a round or if your OAL is too long the bullet gets jammed in the chamber. Check OAL and diameter of case mouth
Your method, or a slight variation thereof, did the trick.

Not reloads, these were Speer Gold Dot factory stuff, but the ammunition was not the direct cause. It was foam from the gun case that adhered to the cartridge and jammed the cartridge firmly into the chamber.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Glad you are fixed. Well, glad the gun is fixed. There's no fixing you, even if you been fixed...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12798 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’m really pleased that I can cycle the slide of my P238 with the safety in the SAFE position. Wish that my SIG X5 Comp had that feature.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9011 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post