SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What is your experience with the Ruger GP100 10mm?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your experience with the Ruger GP100 10mm? Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
What is your experience with this revolver? How would you compare it to the S&W 610?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 3 inch GP100 Wiley Clapp in .357 and a 610. I can say that although neither trigger was great out of the box, the GP was noticeably better than the 610. For carrying in the woods or hiking, the Gp is noticeably smaller and easier to carry. The 10mm isn’t exactly a magnum caliber and in my opinion, the N frame is more weight and size than is needed to comfortably shoot 10mm. I settled on hot .357 magnum in the GP-sized frame over 10mm simply because it doesn’t need moon clips and the ballistics are slightly better in the .357 when discussing loads like Buffalo Bore and Underwood.

Posts: 630 | Registered: September 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
I have a GP100 Match Champion in 10mm. The only reason I bought it is that I have a S&W 646 that I used for IDPA. That was getting too valuable so I retired it. It just so happens that the moon clips for the 646 also fit the GP100. On the Ruger I changed the springs, installed a Hogue Tamer grip and a Bowen Rough Country rear sight. The trigger isn't bad, but I prefer the feel of the Smith, but this gun does fine. I think the GP100 is more akin to an L-frame than the N-frame, but whether this makes a difference to you depends on its intended use. Mine has never seen anything other then .40 S&W rounds. If foresaw much 10mm use I'd opt for the 610 - but I'm a Smith guy at heart.

My GP100MC

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1451 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Helpful replies, both. Thank you!

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I've got the 3" Wiley Clapp version and absolutely love it. It's a good practical revolver, the Novak sights are a lot better than traditional fixed sights on a revolver. The moon clips make for quick and easy reloads. The other handy thing about them is have heavy hard cast Underwood loads for hiking in the woods, come into town, pop it out and pop in a moonclip loaded with 175gr. Silvertip JHP's.

The GP100 is equivalent to the Smith & Wesson L-frame. The 3" barrel and shorter compact grip grip make the GP100 a great carry gun. The trigger does have a different feeling than the Smith, that said it is smooth and easiest out of the box DA revolver trigger to stage of any revolver I've owned.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11781 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I don't own the 10mm version, but I do have a 4" .357. My buddy has a 3" 10mm, and I've shot it...nice gun. They're built like a tank, a little heavier than an L frame but not quite so bulky as an N-Frame. 2000Z-71 gave a great description of the DA trigger...it's smooth and easy to stage, or to roll through if you prefer. I actually like it better than the trigger on my pre-lock K-Frame. I know it's probably a sin to say that, but it's true.

The trigger assembly is different than a Smith. It's modular and drops out of the bottom of the frame. I've had pretty good success in improving them by polishing the edges of the "ball" on the hammer strut and the socket in the hammer.

Posts: 8654 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I like my GP100 MC 10MM, but liked the 5" 610s I used to have more. I also handled a much more recent 610, with the dreaded lock. Seemed every bit as smooth as the 610s I had years ago. If it hadn't been for the lock, I'd have bought a new 610 rather than the GP100. The S&W actions are smoother, and of course the heavy N-Frame really soaks up 10MM recoil. Really can't say anything bad about the MC 10MM though. Good guns, I just think the S&Ws are a little more refined overall.

NRA Life

Posts: 1565 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post