SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Grease question sort of. (grease + oil)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grease question sort of. (grease + oil) Login/Join 
posted
Reading Q's 10k round report and he mentioned using EWL30 which is sorta in between oil and grease viscosity wise. I love that idea. I use Hurley's Gold for similar reasons.

That led me to the dreaded SF grease questions. I know no group of gun guys in the world pontificate over grease more than this group so I figured I would engage the collective.

If I were to want to make an equivalent do all grease/oil combo, if such a thing exists, how would you do it? Or how have you done it?

Imagine I know nothing about ATF, synthetic oil, lubes in general. Ie, speak plainly as to products that are easy to find and the ratios you mix them in.

I would chime in that pictures are always welcome but probably not so much in this discussion. So I guess cat pictures are ok.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
For starters, have you read this?: Florks Lube Guide

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
If I were to want to make an equivalent do all grease/oil combo, if such a thing exists, how would you do it? Or how have you done it?

Um, do you realize that grease is just oil with some type of thickening agent added, usually soap?

There are plenty of applications for grease besides firearms. Just go peruse you local auto parts store for a synthetic grease and be done with it.

Whatever stuff they use for CV joints should work fine for a firearm.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
Lubriplate 105 works well. I get it at the auto parts store, about $10-12 for a 10 oz tube.

I also use the EWL30 and it also works well.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Broadside feel free to not add content if you can't freaking read what I asked. Or continue, whatever. I use grease and I use oil. I want something in between like a home brew EWL30.

You other guys thanks. I have read Florks guide but not in awhile, might be a good place to start.

I am trying to emulate the performance without the outlandish price that products like EWL30 cost. I like to have bottles of lube in my range bag, on my desk, at my workbench, etc. Don't really want to spend 15 per bottle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
I make my own with Mobil 1 grease and M1 oil, mix it to the thickness I want like soft butter and put it in a syringe. works great on whatever you want a softer type grease oil mixture and you will spend pennies, especially if you use M1 on your auto/truck........

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ooooh, syringe. I like the sound of that. Thanks.

Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
I do not know what you could mix to make something like EWL30. I do know that engine assembly lubes like Lubriplate 105 (a white colored grease) and this stuff, https://lucasoil.com/products/...thetic-assembly-lube work well as weapons lube, I have some of both but haven't used the Lucas Oil stuff yet as I still have a couple of bottles of EWL30, I use the Lubriplate when I want a grease. They can be had at auto parts stores relatively cheap.

I picked up a dozen of these so I can have little bottles of the stuff all over the place.
https://www.amazon.com/Plastic...urpose/dp/B017UR07NU

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Not a homemade recipe but some good insight on grease and oils.
http://www.grantcunningham.com.../05/lubrication-101/

Posts: 1551 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:

Um, do you realize that grease is just oil with some type of thickening agent added, usually soap?

There are plenty of applications for grease besides firearms. Just go peruse you local auto parts store for a synthetic grease and be done with it.

Whatever stuff they use for CV joints should work fine for a firearm.

Actually, no. Grease is not simply thick oil, and there are a lot of formulations of grease; not all are compatible with each other, and not all are appropriate for the application.

Of late, I've been using Lucas grease and lucas oil. MPro7 also makes a thin grease that works well on most things, and doesn't cook off. I spread a thin coat on the barrel, too. The Lucas bottle comes with a thin applicator needle. It's useful for getting down into spots.

TW35 is also good; I carry a tube of it to the range, too, and use it on the rails, barrel, and contact points.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Mil-Comm MC3000 may be close to what you are seeking. It is like a thin TW-25B grease. It is not inexpensive, however. Sold by Top Gun Supply and others.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Black uses TW25-b on all of his classic P series guns. He is also a fan of Hurley's Gold as well.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20814 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Are you trying to tell us that TW25-b is the cat's meow? Big Grin

Sorry...couldn't resist.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well if Black likes it, lol.

certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ooooh, syringe. I like the sound of that. Thanks.

these work great for small jobs and I get a large meat marinade type for larger applications.
https://www.ruralking.com/idea...x-1-needle-3-pk-9187

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Broadside feel free to not add content if you can't freaking read what I asked. Or continue, whatever. I use grease and I use oil. I want something in between like a home brew EWL30.

Oh, I get what you asked. I just think it is a waste of time and money.

I've seen plenty of wonder lubricants come and go. I've tried a number of them myself. Somebody always seems to be coming up with some new "wonder-lube" that will turn your glock into an M-16 or save the environment or something like that. At the end of the day it is all just some new marketing ploy.

I've come to the conclusion that how you use them is much more important than what you use.

With that said, it's your time and money to waste how you see fit. The Mil-comm MC3000 was the one I was thinking about. I think I actually bought a tub of this myself at one point. I see GaryBF has already pointed that one out.

As I remember it had a consistency that was slightly less viscous than honey. Of course it wasn't sticky.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for you Broadside. Personally your opinion on the subject ranks right up there with your reading ability. Zero.

What kind of "wonder lube" do you think I'm trying to make out of common lubricants? Its like you can't seem to make the words make sense in your head or something.

"Oh, I get what you asked". But you decided to go off on a tangent and continue to do so. So you did a twofer. Didn't answer the question and put out incorrect information from your vast knowledge base. Yay for you.

posted Hide Post
I haven't done this in volume, but in small batches I have made small amounts of less viscous grease using the stuff I use for guns anyway.. Mobil 1 synthetic grease and Mobil 1 synthetic oil.
Works fine. I brush it on when I make it. When very hot its runny and red... The products cost about $10 so you can experiment without any risk. There is no possible downside for use in guns. But me personally if I wanted a volume of it I wouldn't bother doing that as greases come in all kinds of viscosities. I would just get some artic grease (NLGI 0 is where I'd start, but if that's too thick go to 00) but you can go up or down from there. These are common industrial products and easy to get and very cheap. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know no group of gun guys in the world pontificate over grease more than this group so I figured I would engage the collective.

Probably because P series Sigs require a lot more lub than others.. (Vis a vis Glocks which you could run completely dry for quite a few rounds without issue) It's the steel slide running directly on an aluminum frame which would self destruct if run dry. So, we talk about it.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pedropcola,

I can't even attempt to answeer a question about mixing anything unless it's Ed's Red solvent Cool . But when you do find something to experiment with - Brownells has some nice syringes and needle oiler bottles. I haven't tried the pin point oiler yet but want one. I use needle oilers for everything and actually spray aerosol Sili-Kroil into the oiler for application.

https://www.brownells.com/guns...oiler-prod40383.aspx

https://www.brownells.com/guns...ringes-prod1056.aspx

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post