SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Grease question sort of. (grease + oil)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grease question sort of. (grease + oil) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Well navyguy I will respectfully agree to disagree with you on that one. I shoot and own a lot of steel slides riding on aluminum rail guns. S&W 3rd gens, CZ’s, Beretta’s, and Sig’s.

Go to any other website that caters to those other brands and nobody, and I mean nobody, harangues about rail wear like Sig owners. It’s like a disease. I enjoy talking guns so I don’t care but observationally no aluminum framed set of gun owners have a picture album of the chronology of frame wear on rails. We do. We have all seen it. This color means this, that color means that. Beretta owners just shoot till the frame cracks.

Nothing different about those guns from a classic P series as far as I can tell. But trust me, I use grease! Lol

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And back to the original question, what are you planning to do with this grease/oil combo?
I've told you how to get exactly what you asked, but if you gave some more specific's on the use I might be able to upgrade my response to include some specific products. I was assuming you wanted it for rails, but I see now you use real grease for that.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well currently I have been using Hurley’s Gold for just about everything. They advertise as a combo of oil grease and dry lubricant all mixed together. I like it but I figure I can do similar with common and cheap lubes and greases.

I have Mobil 1 synthetic oil and I’m going to try the Mobil 1 grease combo first. Mainly because I have half the stuff and it sounds easy and a reasonable choice.

I have twb25 forrails but honestly I don’t really like it. It’s messy and it seems to attract a lot of crud. I always liked the quality of oil in that stuff seems to move off instead of just getting gummy. But grease is grease and so I figured to try a middle ground.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lubriplate 105 motor assembly lube is a creamy grease. If it is too thick, it can be mixed with about any motor oil to thin it. Also it is used in outboard gear assemblies.
Maybe this will give you another combo to experiment with.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Well currently I have been using Hurley’s Gold for just about everything. They advertise as a combo of oil grease and dry lubricant all mixed together. I like it but I figure I can do similar with common and cheap lubes and greases.

I have Mobil 1 synthetic oil and I’m going to try the Mobil 1 grease combo first. Mainly because I have half the stuff and it sounds easy and a reasonable choice.

I have twb25 forrails but honestly I don’t really like it. It’s messy and it seems to attract a lot of crud. I always liked the quality of oil in that stuff seems to move off instead of just getting gummy. But grease is grease and so I figured to try a middle ground.

Hurley's Gold, is good stuff, as mentioned earlier Black loves it. I haven't seen Beck online in a while and another member said his site is down. Have you bought any recently?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried to find out something about Hurley's gold to make some additional suggestions but I don't see anything that looks like real information. If there is some specific ingredient you want you can just choose another grease type like one with 3% moly for example. or ptfe or whatever. You wouldn't believe the number of grease options available.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out Amazon for sets of syringes and tip sizes, cheaper than Brownells. Example:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E...e9-b410-57b07a7cabe2

Posts: 144 | Registered: April 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No I haven't bought any recently. I got a bunch of bottles the last time he surfaced with the buy one get one offer. I like it. It has staying power but is easier, for me, to use than grease which I don't really like to apply. I also think grease tends to collect debris and hold it in place. None of this is scientific and I don't really get hung up on lube. I just use something all the time. Even though I do have to admit I bought some Froglube in my more gullible days. lol

I am not looking for a wonder lube, or a magical concoction. Honestly I think any lube applied when necessary is sufficient. I really just want an inexpensive combo that is easy to apply, stays in place, has some fluidity to remove debris instead of collecting and can be applied by bottle or syringe.

I am going to try mixing M1 products first. MIght price check this lubriplate stuff as well.