SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I hate the RDS match game
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate the RDS match game Login/Join 
posted
Am I the only one that gets really frustrated with the Plethora of different screw holes.

I bought a sig Romeo zero pro for the macro. Now I learn what I needed was Romeo zero elite. Just call the damn things what they are for.

I’ve been tripped up with the Romeo one pro vs Romeo one before as well.

Now I went to put a Romeo zero on the Macro. The plate screws heads are to large.

Am I the only shmuck?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're not the only one who has to figure it out still. It would be nice if they all fit the same footprint but I guess it can't be that easy.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one pistol that is RDS compatible and luckily it was for the Trijicon RMR. I found one locally and mounted it.
I've looked at other pistols including Glocks and it's confusing as Hell.
Its takes "X" plate but "Y" screws for these optics but a whole different set if you go with this optic. Some aren't even spelled out correctly and it's a guessing game.
I ended up selling the RMR because I couldn't get enough time behind it and I don't think I'll ever purchase another RDS for a pistol.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Yeah I hate it too. But I at least kind of understand why different manufacturers have different patterns.

Leave it to Sig to have multiple products with close to the same name that have different patterns though. These are the same people that decided the P225-a1 mag shouldn’t fit the P225.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
How do you turn these things on?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not at all. Testing the P365X and the G43X mos for a replacement gun for the department. Both will run Holosun 407k sights. The Glock rep failed to mention I need an adapter plate to do that. Score one more for the Sig.

Posts: 269 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

It varies. The ones I like turn on by themselves when they detect movement and shut off when there's no movement for a couple of minutes.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

It varies. The ones I like turn on by themselves when they detect movement and shut off when there's no movement for a couple of minutes.

That's what most RDS manufacturers use. I wonder though, what is movement and what isn't. If you carry with a RDS, you're probably not going to be sitting still. Does walking, or riding in a car on a bumpy road turn it on?

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

That's what most RDS manufacturers use. I wonder though, what is movement and what isn't. If you carry with a RDS, you're probably not going to be sitting still. Does walking, or riding in a car on a bumpy road turn it on?

There is no turning it on...at least not on a gun used for defensive use. If the thing doesn't have the necessary battery life to support staying on all the time, or the ability to turn on automatically when moved, I'm not carrying it.

My Trijicon RMR is on all the time, and the battery will still last for years. The Sig Romeo 1 Pro on my duty gun is motion sensitive....and it's very sensitive. It'll shut off after 5 minutes of inactivity, so I set it on the squad room table for 5 minutes until it shut off. Then I lightly touched the table, and that minimal amount of vibration was enough to turn it back on. It's actually a pretty good system...it's not wasting battery locked in the safe at home when I go off duty, but when you're carrying it, it's always on. Unless you're dead and rigormortis has set in, there's no way you're holding still enough to allow it to go to sleep while it's attached to your body.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a Trijicon RMR and it’s always on. I change the battery annually but it’s never been dead when I change it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold Delta Point Pro and you can turn it on and off. I always have it off until I go to put it in the holster. Then I turn it on. It is also motion sensitive and if you just left it sitting it would turn off. My bedside pistol has a Surefire X400 on it.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So very very confusing!!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have issues on getting oil filters and other parts for your specific vehicle? There is no std. on this, so you need to understand what your gun and optic combination takes and get the correct stuff. Yes its annoying but its not rocket science.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Do you have issues on getting oil filters and other parts for your specific vehicle? There is no std. on this, so you need to understand what your gun and optic combination takes and get the correct stuff. Yes its annoying but its not rocket science.

True, there's no standard for oil filters, but at least there are readily available part numbers that you can reference to ensure you are getting one that will work. Documentation for what models fit which optics is not always clear, especially when manufacturers use similar but different names (Romeo1 vs Romeo1 Pro, for example), or different models of the same gun come cut for different optics from the factory, depending upon the SKU. You can even get the right optic for your cut, and still have the wrong length screws, or a different thread pitch. The screws for my RMR are too long to use with my Holosun 407C on my Maple Leaf cut slide, for example, even though the cut in the slide is the same.

Yeah you've got to do your research research, but there's way too many variables, and there's got to be a better way. Its rough on the consumer, and I think that it's hurting optic manufacturers as well. Sig is making bank right now selling their factory-equipped RX models, not because their optics are better, but because it's just easier.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
A year+ old but some good information here:

RDS Guide

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post