SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Budget optic - Riton
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Budget optic - Riton Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
I was recently at a local LE range and the RSO had a G43X mos with an optic. It’s made by a company called Riton. It uses the RMSc footprint and direct mounted to the slide. They apparently have a lifetime warranty and are in the $125-135 range. They use the 2032 battery but it mounts on the underside - so you’ll have to pull it to change the battery. The RSO says it’s held up well to daily carry (I want to say it was over a year) and has survived s drop or two without losing zero.

I’m looking for an optic for my 48MOS slide and this has my interest piqued.

Does anyone out there have any info in these?

https://ritonoptics.com/product/3-tactix-mprd-2/

Posts: 1970 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
in the $125-135 range

What you linked to has the price tag of $349.99.

Q

Posts: 26464 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
in the $125-135 range
What you linked to has the price tag of $349.99.
Yup, the link in the original post goes to a $349.99 item. A search on Amazon brings up similar (same?) items from same manufacturer, closer to $130.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=3+t..._sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_15

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30716 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I found this 2017 article. It may be a puff piece, I don't know, but this line may be a clue:

"They kindly donated a Mod 3 riflescope to be raffled off at one of the charity shooting events promoted through the Spotter Up Shooting Team #spotterupteam."

So, there is a relationship between manufacturer and that website. OTOH, the article may be sincerely written.

https://spotterup.com/riton-optics-bullseye/

It says Riton uses Japanese glass. However, the items they have on Amazon are priced at a level I would expect of Chinese manufacture.

Their advertising says "All of our optics are assembled in an environmentally protected clean room. This ensures that each optic is free from debris." It doesn't say, however, just where that clean room is located.

Supposedly, it's a small, veteran-owned company in Tuscon. It could very well turn put that few years from now, they might be widely known and people will be nostalgic for the low prices of these products before everyone found out about them. It's happened before.

Posts: 107706 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yup, checking their website, it's both Chinese and Japanese, depending on price point.

https://ritonoptics.com/suppor...20on%20price%20point.
quote:
We source all of our raw materials and use oversees assembly based on price point. Our optics have hand sourced Japanese or Chinese glass and have final assembly in Japan or China depending on price point.

Q

Posts: 26464 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
The MSRP on their site is way out of line with street price.

Posts: 1970 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of our distributors was trying to get me to order some of those Riton red dots earlier this year. "Special sale pricing", in fact...right around $50 per unit if I recall correctly. I remember seeing the thing in the case at Rainier Arms a year or so ago at some price over $200 at the time, making it price comparable to the Vortex Venom and Viper units, the Burris Fastfire and a few of the 400-series Holosun optics.

Ultimately to make the distributor rep happy I caved and ordered two in to sample, and after it arrived and we had a chance to look it over, it certainly seemed ok (hey, it turned on and off like it was supposed to; what other proof did we need?). I priced them and sold them off at $99 apiece. Went quickly at that price, and I never bothered to order more. Haven't heard feedback from whoever bought those, so I assume that they work as they were designed to. But instead of restocking those, I ordered a design from Ameriglo (the Haven I think it's called), since they're supposedly "kind of" tied at the hip with Trijicon according to our Triji rep, and we've been peddling those though nowhere close to $100 per (more like $260-270 apiece). The Ameriglo uses the RMR footprint where the Riton I think uses the Shield pattern, which was a motivation to carry Ameriglo over Riton. That and the fact that we carry Ameriglo iron sights as well, making it an extension of a brand line that we already carry. And MOST importantly, there's no dealing with the question, "who the hell is Riton?" from customers.

-MG

Posts: 2007 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Riton Optics, 1 Tactix ARD, and RRD Red Dots. I am thrilled with their performance after 1000's of rounds under them, I have not had to adjust zero even one time. Mine sit on an SBR and 2 PCCs. At $99, I doubt they can be beat. I have 2 of the 3 Tactix PRD 2, RMR footprint, on order for pistols.

Bart

Posts: 58 | Location: North Texas | Registered: December 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I bought two of the 1 Tactix ARD. For the price, I wasn't expecting much. If it were comparable to a Bushnell TRS-25, I'd be satisfied. The 1 Tactix ARD has six brightness settings. One of the ones I bought wasn't great but acceptably bright. The other one was much less brighter to the point that on settings 1 & 2, it was useless. By that, I mean in pitch darkness, the red dot was invisible until you turned it up to #3. I tested battery voltage and tried swapping in different batteries to make sure it was the optic and not the battery. I wrote to Riton about the discrepancy, and here was there response.

"Thank you for your inquiry From what has been explained to me, the X1 ARD is the base level red dot and is not considered a "daytime bright" optic. Additionally I have been informed that the brightness level from unit to unit may have a small variance with some being brighter than others. Lastly I was informed that the X1 ARD is also night vision compatible, so the lower settings my not be visible to the naked eye."

IMO, their lifetime warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Mad

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to make excuses, but I don't worry about the numbers. I turn it up to whatever works for me. So what if you can't see the dot at one or 2. If the room is dark, I bet you can see it on maybe 2 or 3. I use mine in broad daylight on 6 and no issues. They give you 6 settings so that you can use whichever one works for the ambient light setting. I have other red dots that are N/V compatible on level 1-2, does that mean they are no use to me, yes, but at 3-4-5 settings I can use them.

Bart

Posts: 58 | Location: North Texas | Registered: December 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
On level 6, it's comparable to level 4 on the other identical model. I could do w/o settings 1-2 if 4-6 were as bright as the other one, but they are not.

On level 6, it is not visible in broad daylight, and that's the problem. Riton says it is not a problem, b/c their RDS is not considered daytime bright. I don't see anything in their product literature that says it's not meant to be daytime bright, do you?

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the last few months, bright sunlight is all we have had here in Texas, and I have used my Riton Red dots many times with zero issues.
No problems banging cardboard targets or steel plates in bright sunlight. I'd reach out to Riton Optics one more time. Try to talk to Jerimiah. I'm sure he can help you.

Bart