SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why does the 320 Compact with factory threaded barrel look like Pinocchio?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why does the 320 Compact with factory threaded barrel look like Pinocchio? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Why on earth does the barrel protrude out so far?

None of my other Sigs 226 nor 2022 have that much barrel space between the end of the slide and the thread protector.
My HK USP9 Tactical doesn’t either.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's happy to see you.

Posts: 4725 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
It's happy to see you.

It's lying.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Kind of has a Snoopy vibe...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fullmann
posted Hide Post
Full size also has the same protrusion.

Posts: 412 | Location: Mid Michigan  | Registered: June 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I speculate that some issue silencer used on it has that much overhang.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that the 3.9" compact barrel and the 3.6" X-compact/carry/ whatever the hell they call it slide?

None of my sigs are threaded, so...?

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2741 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
That's what it looks like from the factory. Was it a surprise?

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Perhaps they took standard full size P320 barrel blanks and used those to create the compact threaded barrels?

Something like that might explain the unnecessary additional length, if it saves them from having to tool up to fully produce yet another different length barrel.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
The SIG...

The HK...

Crappy pic of the SIG, but yeah, why? I like the HK way... Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here goes:

The P320 has a longer action than needed for a 9mm cartridge. The slide cycles further because the basic design can accommodate .45 ACP (and 10mm) cartridge OAL.

The affects where the barrel is when the slide is full rearward, causing the barrel to be further back in relation to the guide rod.

Without the extra length of barrel before the threads, a suppressor will hit the guide rod during recoil.

I figured this out because a person I run into a lot at a local store told me about having guide rod contact and functioning issues with a suppressor even though he had the proper booster.

This is the only reasonable explanation.

Posts: 4725 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Perhaps they took standard full size P320 barrel blanks and used those to create the compact threaded barrels?

Something like that might explain the unnecessary additional length, if it saves them from having to tool up to fully produce yet another different length barrel.

No. The full size threaded barrels are extra long too - like 5.5"

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
That's what it looks like from the factory. Was it a surprise?

It was. I am still a classic P Series guy so I have not paid all that much attention to the 320. I stumbled into a NIB FDE Compact for $250 so I snagged it and ordered a factory threaded barrel.
Barrel arrived popped it in and noticed the Pinocchio thought the wrong barrel got put in the package. Had never actually seen or paid attention to a factory 320 with a threaded barrel.
Then I googled it and sure enough that is how it is supposed to be.
Just looks weird.

So I have named this gun Pinocchio.

————————————————

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Did you send it in for the voluntary upgrade yet? If so, how long did that take?

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Did you send it in for the voluntary upgrade yet? If so, how long did that take?

Sent it to them last week.
Gave me a 2-6 week turnaround time.

————————————————