SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question about a P229 trigger noise/binding issue-PROBLEM FOUND
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about a P229 trigger noise/binding issue-PROBLEM FOUND Login/Join 
posted
I have a P229 Enhanced Elite 9mm pistol I traded into a while back but have been unable to actually take it to the range. I put in some snap caps to dry fire in order to get used to the trigger pull in both single and double action and it had not issues. I noticed when I had the slide locked back/open-( when the slide is open on an empty magazine), I squeezed the trigger and noticed like it was possibly binding,(not bad to prevent trigger pull but it made a clicking noise when pulled,almost like it had a "step" to it). I am not sure if I am explaining it correctly or not or if it makes any sense. I noticed when I did the same thing to my P226, it had no issue like that and you could squeeze the trigger and it was smooth. My P229 is an E2 version from the factory and was wondering if anyone else noticed that as well on there P229? Thanks

***UPDATER. I wound up taking the whole frame apart and found the culprit. It was the hammer. More specifically it was the cuts on the hammer. It appears that whatever process (mold or maching?) was used to form the hammer, was off and all of the cuts/angles were off about 15 degrees or more. I had a few small files and filed off a little bit where the hammer makes contact with the sear in single action mode. I was careful about the whole thing and the result is no more binding or feeling like there was a step where the trigger/hammer were trying to get over. The pics are not the greatest,I apologize for but you can see where the angles are off on the first couple pics. The third pic looks like the metal wasn't formed or cut completely and also angled to the left. It also had a few small burrs on it. Thanks for all the help. I will probably upgrade the hammer itself to a better aftermarket one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patw,

Posts: 6893 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Considering it's an E2 I wouldn't be surprised if the Trigger Bar Spring is buggered up. If someone tries to take off the E2 grip and isn't familiar with being careful around the TBS it's pretty easy to bend or deform the spring. I also traded into a P229 E2 and had a similar but different issue. The trigger wasn't binding but it definitely didn't have the normal solid double action reset when fully releasing the trigger.

One thing you can try is taking off the E2 grip and doing the same test again. If there's no issue with it off it might be a bent TBS rubbing or hitting the E2 grip when it's on the pistol. If you still have the issue you can further inspect the right side of the grip area to try and determine what / why it might be catching. TBS are pretty cheap and seconds to replace and it solved the problem with mine.

Posts: 354 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried the same thing and took the E2 grip off and still no change. I looked inside the frame but can't see anything that would bind it. It only happens when the hammer is cocked back/single action mode. I guess I will have to break it down further in a couple days.

Posts: 6893 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
You mentioned the trigger pull noise/ binding with the slide locked back on an empty mag...but, does the condition persist when there is no mag in the gun?

- If it were mine I would follow the previous advice, and check both the TB and TBS for either being bent, worn (check for TB & frame contact wear) or located incorrectly, and re-position/ replace as necessary.

- I would also remove, clean, reinstall and lube the Trigger, TB, and Trigger Pivot Pin. Then reassess.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, it does it without the magazine as well. I will take it apart and check and see the trigger bar.

posted Hide Post
Updated with problem found.