SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Surefire's Tactician Quick Thoughts and Impressions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surefire's Tactician Quick Thoughts and Impressions Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I have had many Surefire's come and go through my possession going back to incandescent 6Ps with 60 BLINDING TACTICAL LUMENS!!!! I have had Centurions, Aviators and starting with their E1L and L1 I started my journey into LED lights.

Now all that said my Surefire journey has generally been one of they are absolutely rock solid, bombproof lights that always seem to drop the ball falling just sort of perfect for me.

For example the TIR lense early on.....pretty horrible. Later on the beams got much better but then they dump the PERFECT "gas pedal" tail cap for high low for some click on click off affair. The body is perfect but the head is too big and so on.

I don't mean any of that to sound like I don't like Surefire I do very much. As of today I have a couple Scout Lights, a middle gen 6P LED, an early E1L, couple Titans, a couple old L1s, an E1B with the marvelous gas pedal and one with the infuriating clicky affair. I like them all but non has been perfect.

Enter the The E2T-MV or "The Tactician". Ok so let's get this out of the way right now. James Yeager may or may not be a hell of a nice guy. I don't know, but he sure does come across as a loudmouthed tool....hell a whole toolbox but.........I have to give credit where credit is due....he pushed Surefire to design my perfect light. Blind Squirrel...nut..maybe.

The Tactician is a hair shorter then my original single cell L1. The E-series body is thin, the MV head is svelte and the whole two cell affair is almost as small as some single cell lights. It really is tiny light for a two cell, built hell for stout Surefire. (Yes I know I can get an OLIGHTFENIXNIGHTCOREETCETC that does X, Y, Z and is this small etc. The fact remains all of those are GREAT lights but they simply don't live up, in my experience, to Surefire durability and customer service.

The interface on the Tactician is PERFECT for what its meant to be. Lock the head down, you have full power momentary only light. Loosen the head momentary only low light. Twist the tail for constant on or lockout. Simple, elegant and effective.

The light output is listed as 5 lumens on low and 800 lumens on high. I would say the 5 lumen number is a tad low and it is probably closer to 10-15 lumens.

Now here was the shocker for me. I LOVE the Maxvision beam. This is not a thrower, although it will easily light up two suburban yards deep. It will however light up a room in your house like you turned on a bank for fluorescent lights. It has such a nice wide, perfect beam that just lights EVERYTHING up.

Run time on high is about what is listed by Surefire and I couldn't tell you on low. Its rated at 70 hours on low and I am sure would hit somewhere in that range based on my experience.

So Surefire and that Toolbox James Yeager seem to have made my perfect Surefire for now and addressed all my wants from over the years. The price isn't even all that bad at $112.00.

If you are looking for a high end, bump in the night flashlight give the Tactician a look and don't let's its collaborators baggage stop you from giving it a try.

Please note I am a bit of flashlight geek with many brands and price points. If you are happy with a $10 light from Lowes.....rock on and yes Maglite does still make very good lights. I am just light geek......so don't judge me. Big Grin

Take care, shoot safe,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm carrying the G2X; same head as the Tactician, but with the lighter plastic body of the G2 series. I like it because it's very light weight, high output on high, low output on low, which is what I mostly use. I use my light constantly throughout the day, so it gets carried everywhere. I carry it in a Blackhawk carrier, bezel down so it doesn't gather crud. The small lens on the G2X is great as it's better protected, less likely to get damaged, and slimmer overall. I'm quite happy with the light. Surefires are the only lights I've ever had that hold up to abuse; every other brand I've used has failed.
The surefires have kept me alive, and I can't ask of them more than that.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have the Tactician. Its unreliable. It doesn't reliably come on at 800 lumens. I like the form factor, dont care for the light. May send it back one of these days.

My bedside light is a Surefire LX2. I LOVE this light. In factory trim it had 200 lumens. I replaced the 200 lumen head with the 500 lumen head from the EB2T, so its a 500 lumen LX2. The body and switch of the EB2T sucks, so I re-purposed the head.

My daily carry light is the new EDCL1T. Great light.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one,been carrying it EDC / work for about 6 months. I like everything about it except the Max vision beam. I love the switching but the max vision beam.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its unreliable. It doesn't reliably come on at 800 lumens. I like the form factor, dont care for the light. May send it back one of these days.

That is odd. I have a ton of Surefire’s and never an issue. Have you tried cleaning and lubing the threads? I would definitely send it in. You are paying for that customer service.

I liked mine so much I bought a second. Works perfectly as does my original.

Good luck with it.

I love the gas pedal caps on the EDCL1/2 Ts.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the review!

I have been considering the Tactition , buT im thinking the EDCL2 might work better for what I want. I too LOVE the "overpriced" Surefire lights. I too also think Yeager is a tool.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I was also considering the Tactician, but went with the EDCL2-T mainly for the gas pedal cap and the fact that I can carry it bezel down.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post