SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What do you think about this waterproof Holster from Seahorse?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think about this waterproof Holster from Seahorse? Login/Join 
Member!
posted
I wouldn't want to carry it around, but it seems perfect to bolt onto the side of my motorcycle as it doesn't look like a pistol holster (so discrete), is lockable, and is completely waterproof! Seems easy to open and get to pistol too. Thinking I would remove the straps and replace with some metal bits I can then bolt to somewhere on the side of my motorcycle. A little "Spare Fuses" sticker or something and no one would look at it twice. Anyone know anything about it?

http://www.seahorsecases.com/s...oof-gun-holster.html

Found a video

Posts: 4349 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
So tacticool. Perfect for mall ninjas.

Q

Posts: 26436 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm not looking so much for tacticool Smile, but rather an easily accessible hard point mounted on my motorcycle for a pistol. Once I have my riding gear on, there is no easy accessibility to anything around the waistband under the riding jacket. I found this and thought it was nice because it doesn't look like a holster (would look even less so mounted on the side of my motorcycle), and has the benefit of being lockable and waterproof, yet relatively easy to manipulate with one hand to get to the pistol.

Posts: 4349 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Open-concealed carry!

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
looks like something straight out of star wars...

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well.... First off, at 180 bucks, pass.
As a security device for your bike,the weak point of the design would seem to be the straps that it uses. Snip through them and its gone, to be opened later at the thief's convenience. I know you said you would modify or do away with the straps. I guess it could be done.
I wanted more secure storage for my BMW, so I modified a good sized Pelican type case to fit on the rear rack. I lock it with keyed alike padlocks. The mod I made on it did not compromise its water resistance. It works fine and it is very tough and durable but I dont think I would store my pistol in it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16108 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
I wouldn't want to carry it around, but it seems perfect to bolt onto the side of my motorcycle as it doesn't look like a pistol holster (so discrete), is lockable, and is completely waterproof!

I can't imagine a world in which something like that could possibly be called "discreet."

Not even society in which everyone is blind.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Open-concealed carry!

That was my thought. Confounds Wally and Kroger.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
Looks for ridiculous for its intended purpose but what you say has merit.

Would you fasten it through the unit and silicone around the drill holes or something?

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
looks silly ,
maybe spray it yellow and print Dewalt on it.
or red with a white cross on it.
or
make a chest version , horizontal style.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54679 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post

Kind of reminds me of this.

Smile

Posts: 4130 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Looks great for a bike or boat or whatever (I wouldn’t rely on it for secure storage but could be made pretty discreet and provide access when needed.)

Now it’s intended purpose......ummmm yeah....no.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Why not?

Who’s it intended for? I would be very surprised if anyone ran around trying to conceal a handgun in a drop leg holster of any design, so I don’t believe that’s it. I would have no use for such a device, but if someone needed to carry a reasonably-accessible handgun in an environment that might get it soaked in water it would be far better than relying on a plastic baggie. I could also see its appealing to someone who needed to carry a handgun in a very dusty or dirty environment.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
what's the use case for this thing?

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a bike, I would only use it as a "take it with you when you go" item. In other words, never leave the bike parked with that on it. But otherwise, that sounds like a better use for that beast than strapping it to your body.

Another option would be one of these inside a lockable hard case -- those are supposedly waterproof anyway, right?

https://stickyholsters.com/sticky-travel-mount.html

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That is a bizarre product concept, no doubt. But, I can at least say I've been pleased with the six pistol Seahorse range case I bought about three or four years ago. I couldn't afford Pelican's offerings and I haven't been let down with the Searhorse equivalent for less than half the price. It's flown across the country and back a few times, been to the range many times, still looks brand new.

If you decide to try this, I'd probably take Bendable's suggestion to disguise it as a first aid kit. Nobody's going to believe something that bulky is a spare fuse kit.

Posts: 17185 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
On a bike, I would only use it as a "take it with you when you go" item. In other words, never leave the bike parked with that on it. But otherwise, that sounds like a better use for that beast than strapping it to your body.

Another option would be one of these inside a lockable hard case -- those are supposedly waterproof anyway, right?

https://stickyholsters.com/sticky-travel-mount.html

These are my thoughts. It looks like a great case for strapping on the bike. I certainly wouldn't go into a restaurant and leave the pistol in the case on the bike or strap the case to my person.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I thought we were done with drop leg holsters?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I thought we were done with drop leg holsters?

If you’re referring to them as a fashion statement, probably so.

The “drop” platform is, however, more practical and convenient than attaching the holster to the waist belt in some situations. A belt holster can be uncomfortable and difficult to use if one is wearing a heavy armored “tactical” vest festooned with accessory pouches and gear. And I would think that even without wearing such a vest that this bulky contraption would be uncomfortable at best if attached directly to a waist belt. It appears to be so large that on a belt when seated it would dig into the wearer’s side at the top and into the thigh at the bottom.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post