SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thoughts on Hornady Critical Defense?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on Hornady Critical Defense? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Is everyone forgetting about the green tip one designed for Zombies?

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I like the round but hate your avatar. It's no 60x60 for sure:

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I've seen lots of ammo making claims lately. And I've conducted a few of my own "un-scientific" tests also.

But, the reason I like the Gold Dots in 9mm and the HST's in .45 is because these brands have spent good money on real time scientific testing that I simply can't do at my range. And, I've seen the data, read the test results, and all that means a lot to me.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Hugeass German eagle crest

Definitely not 60x60. In fact, it's 2000x2500.

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only use the .380 for my Ruger LCP - for no other reason than the conical shape of the bullet seems to feed more reliably than HSTs. They are expensive , and for everything else I use either Speer Gold Dots or Federal HSTs that come in the 50rd LE boxes.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

Definitely not 60x60. In fact, it's 2000x2500.

Er, sorry. I think that's from a while ago.. I don't see anyone's avatars here (including my own), as I have that and signatures turned off. And not sure why it would be displaying large since the page code scales down the avatars to 60px.

Posts: 447 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
I stick with HSTs. I had a problem getting it to chamber in my old XD-S 9mm off of a fully loaded 7rd magazine..

I have issues with my XDs 45. It feeds them just fine shooting, it's just fussy chambering the first round. It could be me being too gentle.

Posts: 21115 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
Gold Dot has been around for a while, but a lot of actual data to go with that round. We have been using it since inception and it does what it says it is supposed to in actual shootings. I wish the .308 bonded round was more accurate than it is, but it does well through barriers. The 9mm and .45 and 5.56 GD is very solid. Hard to go to something else with the track record that GD has built over the years.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm an HST man across many pistol calibers based on what I've seen but I've seen good testing on Critical duty 9mm 124 +p and standard. Very consistent and good, repeatable performance through the protocol on gel from duty sized guns and short barrels as well.

The legal in NJ part is a good point if I'm ever out on the East Coast again.

Next time I attend a manufacturer shoot I need to remember to bring some HST with me that isnt in my mags.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
search tnoutdoors9 on YouTube for ammo testing insights. Lots of comparisons are there for you.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5057 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been packing firearms professionally since was 17(enlisted on my birthday). I am now in my mid 70s and still carrying a badge and a variety of weapons. I do believe in(and use) Gold Dot and HST, I also believe in Critical Duty and Critical Defense rounds in .38 Special, .357 Magnum,.44 Special and .45 Colt. I also like some of their rifle ammo, particularly 45/70. One of the advantages of the CD is of course in the peoples republik of NJ, while it does not affect me now it might in the future(it is NOT considered a HP there)I have used the 9mm versions without problems in a variety of semi auto handguns and found the results to be quite satisfactory, particularly in the BHP, one of my go to sidearms. Their .380 ACP ammo has worked well for me in the Sig 232, Walther PPK/S, and Kel-tec PF9(don't laugh till you have tried it). For the .380 I do believe in a fast moving 90-95 gr flat point, hard slug.
In .40 and .45 (ACP & Colt) I have just come to the conclusion that a 40/45 has one very big advantage, it just does not get any smaller. In .40 I like a SWC with a big metplat, likewise in the 45s. However I do really like the Gold Dot in both those rounds, but I have not been disappointed in either CD in those rounds either.
I do evaluate my weapons and ammo rather extensively. My protocol is to use a 1/2"wood plank as the first barrier since I have found that many of the folks I have engaged, military and LE do like to take cover if they can(or do so ahead of time). After the barrier I use gel when available, or just wet phone books-very underrated for this use. I equate the 1/2" hardwood to a couple of pieces of todays' auto sheet metal, I use the real sheet metal when I can, but the bullet riddled vehicles are hard to move and get rid of, and the wife does get a little surly-understandably-when a few car carcasses pile up on the lower forty.
The CD rounds have proved very reliable in this testing mode. Surprisingly enough the CD "Lite" .38 Special does quite well here while providing very light recoil, excellent good for older folks and for fast repeat shots for pros.
In the .40/.45 rounds I find very little difference in HST, Gold Dot and the Hornady rounds in the same weight category. This in either the 1911 platform-one of my standbys, and S&W N frame snubs, also in my Taurus 650(5 shot) in .45 Colt-again don't knock it till you have tried it, a good Taurus can be a very good weapon. I also use them in a couple of Charter Arms snubs in .40 and .45ACP. I believe in BUGs, and if my primary has a problem I want absolute functioning in my BUG, which IMHO means a revolver.
Another very good bullet(again IMHO) is the Federal FMJ expanding round, particularly for getting through a barrier then taking care of business. I have found this to be particularly true in .45 ACP.
I am not trying to be an "expert" here, just giving the results of many thousands of rounds on the range, and a few in real life.
My opinion is still forming on the .327 Magnum as I am playing around with a nice Ruger 101 and a carbine in that caliber, seems very promising as a CCW and carbine round in Gold Dot and CD permutations.

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.

Posts: 1386 | Location: Xanadu | Registered: May 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased some 110 grain .38 special to try in some old revolvers that I did not want to shoot + P ammunition through. Hope to receive it soon.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post